rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Sunday 23 December v Gloucester Rugby at Kingston Park, 3.00pm

Sunday 30 December v Bristol Bears at Ashton Gate, 3.00pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 8-21 Edinburgh Rugby

Europe fixture dates
RiponFalcon (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 18:09
Iím sure I read somewhere that the fixtures would be announced within 2 weeks of the last set of league fixtures. Pro14 appear to have been released today to complete the set. Anyone have any more details? Is it likely to be 2 weeks today or possibly earlier? Hoping to get a nice trip to southern France for October

Re: Europe fixture dates
markismith50 (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 19:36
Honest answer, we have absolutely no idea. Weíre just as keen as the rest of you to know.

Timeshock! (IP Logged)
31 July, 2018 21:28
ERC site states within two weeks of pro14 fixtures

RiponFalcon (IP Logged)
01 August, 2018 06:43
Thanks. So it does look like some time on or before 14th August although probably not imminent if Smithy doesnít know. Looks like another couple of weeks monitoring the cheap flights to various French airports

markismith50 (IP Logged)
01 August, 2018 07:53
From past experience we normally get rounds 1 to 4 confirmed, and rounds 5 to 6 as 'weekend of' pending TV picks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2018 07:56 by markismith50.

alas (IP Logged)
01 August, 2018 09:37
At least with the Falcons in the main competition they should be safe from the Thursday night games to please French TV.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
01 August, 2018 09:40
I believe the Thursday slot is no more, with the TV contracts having evolved. I guess we'll see when the dates come out.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
01 August, 2018 11:10
It must be hugely frustrating for the clubs. They want to get the season ticket packages out in plenty of time including fixture information, and every year they have to gamble on how late they dare leave it while still waiting for the Euro fixtures to be announced.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
01 August, 2018 11:33
It's also booking flights and hotels which is the big one from the team perspective. The longer we leave it the more expensive it gets.

I know our events team are having to hold off from confirming a massive wedding do at the stadium until we know whether we're at home or away on a particular weekend in the autumn, so there are also quite considerable indirect commercial considerations to a fixture delay.

Rest assured it's as frustrating for us as it is for all of our supporters. I've no idea why it should take so long. Every year it's the same.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
01 August, 2018 12:25
Quote:
markismith50
Rest assured it's as frustrating for us as it is for all of our supporters. I've no idea why it should take so long. Every year it's the same.

I remember a couple of years ago, the football Champions League draw was done at midday and the actual fixtures (Man United and Man City's) were on the local news at 6.30pm that very night. Unbelievable that the rugby European organisers can't at least put the 'weekend of' dates out far earlier.

RiponFalcon (IP Logged)
01 August, 2018 12:30
Assuming 1 home 1 away in October that gives us a 2 in 3 chance of away in France for October. It would also appear sensible for us to play Edinburgh twice during mid winter and similar for the 2 French teams to minimise travel in the bad weather. Iím sure we can rely on the organisers using common sense?

aidanb (IP Logged)
01 August, 2018 15:34
Quote:
RiponFalcon
Assuming 1 home 1 away in October that gives us a 2 in 3 chance of away in France for October. It would also appear sensible for us to play Edinburgh twice during mid winter and similar for the 2 French teams to minimise travel in the bad weather. Iím sure we can rely on the organisers using common sense?

I would suggest it isn't much good to play up in Edinburgh in mid winter and the autumn / spring dates would be better.

RiponFalcon (IP Logged)
01 August, 2018 16:22
Quote:
aidanb
Quote:
RiponFalcon

I would suggest it isn't much good to play up in Edinburgh in mid winter and the autumn / spring dates would be better.
Iím thinking more in terms of travel and possible postponements. Someone has to go to Edinburgh in December and January.

RiponFalcon (IP Logged)
16 August, 2018 08:30
Fixtures to be announced noon on Friday
Any hints Smithy?

markismith50 (IP Logged)
16 August, 2018 09:08
That's correct. And no, unfortunately we aren't allowed to give away any hints.

exhooker (IP Logged)
16 August, 2018 10:45
Will we have tickets for the away fixtures that we can get from Newcastle rather than navigating a French website?

markismith50 (IP Logged)
16 August, 2018 10:58
We're entitled to an allocation for all Euro games. I'm not sure yet as to the mechanics of how that will work in terms of whether you buy from us. As always, the ticket office is the best point of contact.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
16 August, 2018 11:18
Is it me, or has the hour gone and the fixtures have not yet been announced?

RiponFalcon (IP Logged)
16 August, 2018 11:23
Friday

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
16 August, 2018 11:23
It is you Leipy, today is Thursday.
(Sm100)

Leipziger (IP Logged)
16 August, 2018 11:37
Me right now:
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/925/410/4cc.jpg

zackary71 (IP Logged)
17 August, 2018 06:30
Quote:
markismith50
That's correct. And no, unfortunately we aren't allowed to give away any hints.
Well if it doesn't work out at the Falcons Smithy, there's a place for you as an Opener for the England Cricket Test team...straight bat and all !!

markismith50 (IP Logged)
17 August, 2018 06:32
🏏

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
17 August, 2018 10:50
Away to Toulon first up on 14/10

Leipziger (IP Logged)
17 August, 2018 11:04
Good that all 6 games have been confirmed already:

Sun Oct 14: Toulon away (3.15pm UK time)
Sun Oct 21: Montpellier home (1pm)
Fri Dec 7: Edinburgh away (7.45pm)
Sun Dec 16: Edinburgh home (3.15pm)
Sat Jan 12: Montpellier away (1pm UK time)
Fri Jan 18: Toulon home (7.45pm)

alas (IP Logged)
17 August, 2018 11:17
Annoying that you can't get to Edinburgh and back on the day by train unless you want to miss the last 10 minutes of the game.

aidanb (IP Logged)
17 August, 2018 11:29
Quote:
alas
Annoying that you can't get to Edinburgh and back on the day by train unless you want to miss the last 10 minutes of the game.

you can always join in on the supporters bus [assuming there is to be one]

exhooker (IP Logged)
17 August, 2018 11:30
That Edinburgh away fixture date is very annoying. I think you might have job to catch the last train back if you left at half time!!

aidanb (IP Logged)
17 August, 2018 11:31
Quote:
exhooker
That Edinburgh away fixture date is very annoying. I think you might have job to catch the last train back if you left at half time!!

Celebrate our re-entry in the big Europe cup by making a night of it and catching the first rattler home

exhooker (IP Logged)
17 August, 2018 11:35
Love to if domestic circumstances permitted

London_Falcon (IP Logged)
17 August, 2018 12:03
All 3 away games on Friday night or Sunday afternoon makes a weekend trip impossible for us, kids can't miss school. Would have been nice for one of those to have been a Saturday fixture.

Oh well, never mind, will have to watch on the tele instead.

CharlieDog (IP Logged)
17 August, 2018 12:39
Quote:
London_Falcon
All 3 away games on Friday night or Sunday afternoon makes a weekend trip impossible for us, kids can't miss school. Would have been nice for one of those to have been a Saturday fixture.

Montpellier away..............??

aidanb (IP Logged)
17 August, 2018 12:47
Quote:
London_Falcon
Oh well, never mind, will have to watch on the tele instead.

Sun Oct 14: Toulon away (3.15pm UK time)
Sun Oct 21: Montpellier home (1pm)
Fri Dec 7: Edinburgh away (7.45pm)
Sun Dec 16: Edinburgh home (3.15pm)
Sat Jan 12: Montpellier away (1pm UK time)
Fri Jan 18: Toulon home (7.45pm)

London_Falcon (IP Logged)
17 August, 2018 12:52
Doh, reading it too quickly in my excitement. That one may be do-able!

alas (IP Logged)
17 August, 2018 13:02
I doubt you'll be able to get to Montpellier in time for the game without leaving on Friday.

Osric (IP Logged)
17 August, 2018 15:17
Train times back from Edinburgh in the evening are poor. Itís only a two hour-ish drive if you can get a DD. Or take the bus and celebrate (?) with fellow Falcons.

Andy Mac (IP Logged)
17 August, 2018 15:57
Family weekend in Edinburgh including Christmas markets. Delighted with that!

RiponFalcon (IP Logged)
17 August, 2018 17:34
3 return flights booked to Marseille for the Toulon game from Luton for £113 in total. HŰtel booked and just match tickets to go. Lovely city to visit and should be very pleasantl in mid October. Well pleased with the fixtures

markismith50 (IP Logged)
17 August, 2018 17:40
We're speaking to Toulon regarding the mechanism of Falcons fans getting tickets, ie whether they send us physical tickets to sell via KP, or whether they just set aside a block and sell it themselves.

We'll let you know once that conversation has reached a conclusion, but either way, we're entitled to an allocation under tournament rules.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
17 August, 2018 17:57
Quote:
Andy Mac
Family weekend in Edinburgh including Christmas markets. Delighted with that!

That's our plan too, although a Friday night in December probably won't work for the little one so I might have to abandon her and Mrs L at the hotel and go to the game myself.

Andy Mac (IP Logged)
17 August, 2018 18:00
Wife stays at home (Airbnb) with the kids whilst I go to the game with my parents. No chance mrs mac would want to spend a December evening in a stadium so everyone happy. (Strangely mrs macs appetite for rugby has waned since Jonny Wilkinson left us...)

joefrog (IP Logged)
17 August, 2018 18:10
For us itís flights Newcastle to Nice then find a train to Toulon for 3 nights returning late Tuesday and just maybe a glass of wine or two

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
17 August, 2018 18:54
Edinburgh digs booked, the French games might be a stretch too far unfortunately

Davidten31 (IP Logged)
17 August, 2018 21:48
Fairly happy with the fixtures, gutted I wont be able to get to Toulon due to work and its too late now to get leave !!!!!!. Other than that game we'll be attending the other games. Ive left our lass to sort out flights etc for the Montpellier away game tonight as im currently sat at work on night shift. (Sm164)
Really looking forward to the Edinburgh away game, gladly go on the supporters party bus, great craic (Sm63).

exhooker (IP Logged)
17 August, 2018 22:04
I'm fancying going to Montpellier by train.

Cumbrian_falcon (IP Logged)
17 August, 2018 22:59
Quote:
exhooker
I'm fancying going to Montpellier by train.

Just checked you can fly from Newcastle to Montpellier with a 90 mins change over in Paris for £250 depending on times you depart. Manchester to Montpellier is £200 return with 90 mins change over in Paris CDG thatís leaving Friday morning returning Sunday afternoon back in Manchester by 3pm.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
17 August, 2018 23:25
I flew to Barcelona and got the train to Montpellier a few years back (not for rugby, admittedly), and it worked champion. Really enjoyable train ride through the Pyrenees and across the coast.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
20 August, 2018 19:23
Quote:
markismith50
I flew to Barcelona and got the train to Montpellier a few years back (not for rugby, admittedly), and it worked champion. Really enjoyable train ride through the Pyrenees and across the coast.

Smithy, how long was your train ride and did you book tickets in advance ?

markismith50 (IP Logged)
20 August, 2018 19:35
Yes, booked tickets in advance, dead easy online. Canít remember exactly how long but maybe 4 or so hours? It goes slow through the mountains then speeds up, goes through Girona, Perpignan, Beziers etc.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
20 August, 2018 19:51
Quote:
markismith50
Yes, booked tickets in advance, dead easy online. Canít remember exactly how long but maybe 4 or so hours? It goes slow through the mountains then speeds up, goes through Girona, Perpignan, Beziers etc.

Cheers Smithy
Looking at Montpellier and the various routes available to get there. Via Barcelona looks a good option and reasonably priced but I couldnít narrow down the train element of a journey

markismith50 (IP Logged)
20 August, 2018 20:17
I do remember booking it online and it all being very easy, train runs from the airport straight to Barcelonaís main train station, then the train to Montpellier was a very enjoyable ride. In summer, admittedly.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
20 August, 2018 20:29
Cheers Smithy, I would prefer gentle and rural route to make a trip of it
Gatwick to Montpellier is a bargain £50 return, getting to Gatwick and back is a problem as there are no direct flights from Newc to Gatwick anymore

alas (IP Logged)
20 August, 2018 21:01
The train tickets for January haven't been released yet, but if you did a dummy booking for Barcelona-Montpellier in late November/early December that would give you an idea of the times and fares. Takes about 3 hours.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
21 August, 2018 17:07
Quote:
alas
The train tickets for January haven't been released yet, but if you did a dummy booking for Barcelona-Montpellier in late November/early December that would give you an idea of the times and fares. Takes about 3 hours.

Cheers for the heads up
On closer inspection you can fly to Carcassone from Manchester and Stansted for about £50 return as well. Both viable options

exhooker (IP Logged)
21 August, 2018 22:30
I've booked a plane from Birmingham (where the family will stay over the weekend)to Montpellier.Should be good

gizmo (IP Logged)
22 August, 2018 05:38
Edinburgh- Gatwick- Montpelier return flights-£100!. EasyJet.

FFL (IP Logged)
22 August, 2018 10:39
We've now booked for Toulon Saturday-Monday NCL-Amsterdam-Marseille for around £140 return. Train from Marseille is less than an hour.

matt1il (IP Logged)
25 August, 2018 16:36
What are the likely supporter bus times to Edinburgh away?

Tried to justify a trip to France but instead going to tie the away match in with a trip up to Newcastle, will just have to know times to leave the Midlands

Horus (IP Logged)
26 August, 2018 17:49
Last time Falcons' supporters went to Montpellier (about 7years ago) was by a flight to Bristol then by Ryanair on to Beziers. From the Beziers airport to Montpellier is a short taxi ride, tho' the suppy club hired a minibus.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
30 August, 2018 19:50
Montpellier booked!
Slight chance of plan though, we were going to fly from Gatwick to Montpellier direct but now we are flying Stansted to Carcassone

Leipziger (IP Logged)
01 September, 2018 13:04
Hotel booked for Edinburgh away, woo! First rugby away trip for the little one, although unfortunately as it's a Friday night in December she won't actually be able to come to the game :-(

RiponFalcon (IP Logged)
07 September, 2018 20:12
Iíve noticed Toulon are now selling tickets for our game. Does anyone (ok I mean Smithy) know when we will be offering tickets to Falcons fans? Also I am not a season ticket holder this season so would I have to wait until season ticket holders have first choice to buy?.What sections of the ground will we have tickets ?At least one of our group had a proppa educashon and can understand enough French to buy on the Toulon website if needed

markismith50 (IP Logged)
07 September, 2018 20:28
Yes, weíll be offering them. Weíll let you know full details once we have them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net