rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Sunday 16 December v Edinburgh Rugby at Kingston Park, 3.15pm

Sunday 23 December v Gloucester Rugby at Kingston Park, 3.00pm

Last result: Edinburgh Rugby 31-13 Newcastle Falcons

Bettencourt confirmed
Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 08:10
Portuguese international centre Pedro Bettencourt confirmed
Recommended by a contact in France. Jamie Noon perhaps?

[www.newcastlefalcons.co.uk]

Re: Bettencourt confirmed
markismith50 (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 08:20
We said "a contact on the continent", not specifically France. Apologies for splitting hairs!

And having had a good chat with Pedro yesterday, I can tell you he speaks much better English than most of our native speakers. Even his texts are grammatically perfect!

MarleyWasp (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 08:44
Great signing. He's the standout player for Portugal at the moment and considered their best prospect back in 25 years. I'm looking forward to seeing him in the Premiership. I think he'll do well.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 09:02
Quote:
markismith50
We said "a contact on the continent", not specifically France. Apologies for splitting hairs!
And having had a good chat with Pedro yesterday, I can tell you he speaks much better English than most of our native speakers. Even his texts are grammatically perfect!

Is that a no then Smithy? It wasn’t Noonie?

markismith50 (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 09:25
I've not said either way, and nor do I intend to. Anyway, it was just the initial tip-off, we then went out and did our usual due diligence.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 09:33
He doesn't rule out being Noony. Could be anyone inclusive of him. Anyhow Dean appears to be doing his homework on these incoming, I think he might just have pulled out another diamond in the rough ala Socino.

We appear to be making targeted signings not just quantity and we've elevated a batch of academy graduates to senior academy. Really looking forward to seeing the lad Morgan Passman, he seems quite a player in the making. A mixture of size and power, things you can't really coach.
In the end I think we'll end up performing better than a lot might think. Excited for the preseason.

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 09:52
I agree Lizard, I think this season is looking very exciting.

Last year we had a number of "big names" who failed miserably, this season we've signed more potential (Mulipola the main exception) and of course Dean looks to be putting more responsibility on some of the younger lads such as Penny, Glen Young (Andrew Davison), Radwan, Kibirige, Trevor Davison, etc etc.

Cant wait for Saturday.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 09:52
Quote:
markismith50
I've not said either way, and nor do I intend to. Anyway, it was just the initial tip-off, we then went out and did our usual due diligence.

I wouldn’t expect you to Smithy
Looking forward to seeing him play, fingers crossed for decent weather on Saturday

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 11:35
Could turn out to be one of them gem type signing Deano gets. smiling smiley

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 11:51
Quote:
AFalcon24

He has a name that most people could pronounce & spell, and he weighs less that 20 stone. I am surprised you like him AF.
(Sm100)

Could be another of Dean's crackers, time will tell. Really looking forward to Saturday now, could be a very pleasant afternoon to see how some of the newbies & former Academy lads trot around the pitch.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 11:55
And you get a bonus 10 minutes, the game is being played in three half hours rather than two 40s.

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 12:10
Fair jump from his previous levels but hopefully he can be moulded into a good option.

Did Mermoz leave?

markismith50 (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 12:32
Mermoz signed for Toulouse a few months back

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 12:34
Cheers Smithy, totally missed that one. Good to get him off the wage bill anyway.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 16:10
Quote:
Monkey1
Quote:
AFalcon24

He has a name that most people could pronounce & spell, and he weighs less that 20 stone. I am surprised you like him AF.
(Sm100)

Haha yeah and isn't a South Sea Islander. grinning smiley

lizard118 (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 17:51
Quote:
GeordieFalcon
I agree Lizard, I think this season is looking very exciting.
Last year we had a number of "big names" who failed miserably, this season we've signed more potential (Mulipola the main exception) and of course Dean looks to be putting more responsibility on some of the younger lads such as Penny, Glen Young (Andrew Davison), Radwan, Kibirige, Trevor Davison, etc etc.

Cant wait for Saturday.
Can see Dean's template in play, get experienced older guys in for experience, see the youngsters coming through and just drip-feed them into the first team, chop or retire some of the older guys.
I think we had by some margin the oldest squad in the league last season. He managed to bring through a lot of youngsters at Harlequins, and that's the squad that went on to win the league under Connor O'Shea.

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 19:55
At Leicester he brought through: Ben Kay, Louis & Brett Deacon, Jim Hamilton, George Chuter, James Buckland, Harry Ellis, James Grindal, Sam Vesty, Ollie Smith, Dan Hipkiss,

Those were all players who didn't feature in the squad they had in 1998/9 and did by the end of Deano's tenure.

One can certainly say he played a part in developing Geordan Murphy too.

That's good going in just 4 years.

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
10 August, 2018 08:49
Dean has a great track record with bringing players through.

Im sure I heard someone mention that Dean (it might have been the man himself) said that the academy wasn't in good shape when he first arrived thus not producing players of the calibre he required, so its probably taken some time to fix.

It certainly looks like its fixed and he finally has it working the way he wants it now though.

He does like his old experienced warriors in there though. And with the retirement of Vickers, Latu, Hogg, Lawson etc, that mantle now falls on the shoulders of Calum Green, Mark Wilson, Will Welch, Logo Mulipola etc.

For all I think we might actually drop a few places this season (5th-6th-7th) I think we're in a very good shape towards building a squad that will consistently challenge the top 4 for the foreseeable future.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2018 08:56 by GeordieFalcon.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
10 August, 2018 10:08
Why does anyone think we will be worse? Not sure we've lost anyone who added massively to last season? Vickers maybe

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
10 August, 2018 12:04
I think we have lost voices in the dressing room, the likes of Latu, Hogg, Vickers but it gives the opportunity for others to step up within the squad
Swings and roundabouts really

pityacker (IP Logged)
10 August, 2018 12:14
Quote:
steve1888
Why does anyone think we will be worse? Not sure we've lost anyone who added massively to last season? Vickers maybe

We have lost some older quality players like Latu , Hogg , Vickers and Lawson and we won't see if their replacements match up until the season progresses plus teams who were below us like Saints,Glos, Sale have strengthened significantly and the fact that even in Deanos admission a lot of our wins were very narrow and a few in the last minutes which could have gone the other way and we would have not made the top 6 never mind top 4 had a few of them actually gone the other way. Mulipola is arguably the only recruit to strengthen the potential starting team therefore a number of people I have spoken to think that it's unlikely we will make top 4 this season or even miss out on top 6 . It looks as though Deano is looking for the younger element to step up which all makes for an exciting time and can't wait to see what happens.

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
10 August, 2018 19:51
Quins finished 7th, 6th and 2nd under Deano. And the same could have been said of the way he developed their side.

They were always competitive at the top end.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net