rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 16 November v Harlequins at Twickenham Stoop, 7.45pm

Friday 23 November v Bath Rugby at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 22-7 Bath Rugby

Paul Mullen
pityacker (IP Logged)
14 August, 2018 08:47
Announced today Paul Mullen a TH prop aged 26 on a 4 month contract. a USA international but originally from Munster. Welcome Paul.

Re: Paul Mullen
Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
14 August, 2018 09:09
Welcome, don’t know anything about the fella but Deans contacts range far and wide
Wonder who’s injured to warrant another TH signing ?

USA international Paul Mullen
aidanb (IP Logged)
14 August, 2018 08:47
USA prop Mullen joins Falcons' ranks

Re: USA international Paul Mullen
Marco19819 (IP Logged)
14 August, 2018 09:29
I have just read up about this guy and i am quite excited. Ireland u20 and emerging Ireland and came through at Munster. He was supposed to be playing for Worcester according to one article as well but we obviously snapped him up. Deano very smart.

Good tight heads are hard to find. He started when USA beat Scotland recently too!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/08/2018 09:31 by Marco19819.

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
14 August, 2018 09:51
I wonder who is injured then?

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
14 August, 2018 09:54
Think we were light at TH anyway weren't we? We must have room on the wage bill and we need to strengthen there, no doubt. It's only 4 month deal but assume there is scope to make permanent?

14 August, 2018 09:59
The worry is that with the Wilson boys, Scotty and Davy, you genuinely don't know if they're going to be fit.

It leaves us with Jack Payne (who had a decent run out on Saturday), Mulipola and Welsh.

Id rather Trevor Davison focused on the LH where I think he could be really good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/08/2018 10:00 by GeordieFalcon.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
14 August, 2018 11:21
Don't know much about him, looking at his profile he is a big prop at well over 19 stone. Not surprised to see us bring in another prop as we were light in numbers. smiling smiley

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
14 August, 2018 11:35
Quote:
GeordieFalcon
I wonder who is injured then?

I suspect that we were in the market for another TH anyway, short-term injury lists rarely dictate this sort of acquisition. Last season showed how a few injuries could put too much strain on those who remained in harness, so adding to the numbers makes good sense. I look forward to seeing what he has to offer.

pa8 (IP Logged)
14 August, 2018 14:47
Jon Welsh is still out for a while.

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
14 August, 2018 16:17
We do sign some obscure props (dare I say poor?). American, Japanese etc props don't usually hold up too well in the AP, I'm not sure why we continually shop in this market.

It was seen from the outside prop could be a worry and it's weeks away from the start of the season and we're signing players on 4 month contracts.

I love what Deano and co are doing here (style and recruitment) but the front row aquasitions sometimes really confuse me.

CharlieDog (IP Logged)
14 August, 2018 16:34
???????????????? Wow!!!!! I presume your post is based on knowledge of our new signing?

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
14 August, 2018 16:54
Zero idea....I'll happily eat my words if he turns out half decent although I think I'll be ok.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
14 August, 2018 18:12
I would love to see us sign a big world class Eastern European prop, like Wasps did with Zurab Zhvania but they are extremely expensive I believe. So I see your point Pool falcon but you never know he may do alright. smiling smiley

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
14 August, 2018 19:00
Well we don't really have a choice do we? We can't compete with the big spending clubs, clearly.

I am not sure how the wage cap works but i hope it is properly regulated because we do not want our game to become like premiership football, where teams are so polarised that it has all but ended as a meaningful competition between any but about 3 or 4 clubs. This would be a tragedy.

Richards has clearly got a strategy whereby he spots talent that has been missed or unfulfilled and swoops or acquires players who have been playing well on the periphery of anyone but the most obsessive observer's eye. We have to be realistic about where we are and i for one am pretty happy with how things are going.

Is Brocklebank a loose head? They have promoted him so obviously rate him along with big Trev.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/08/2018 19:01 by Marco19819.

aidanb (IP Logged)
14 August, 2018 21:15
Quote:
Pool_falcon
We do sign some obscure props (dare I say poor?). American, Japanese etc props don't usually hold up too well in the AP, I'm not sure why we continually shop in this market.
It was seen from the outside prop could be a worry and it's weeks away from the start of the season and we're signing players on 4 month contracts.

I love what Deano and co are doing here (style and recruitment) but the front row aquasitions sometimes really confuse me.

Given that he played against Scotland this summer and we have a couple of current Scots in our ranks I imagine some quality checking involved feedback from the Scottish pack on the guy.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
14 August, 2018 21:44
Quote:
pa8
Jon Welsh is still out for a while.

I thought Jon was back in some sort of training before the end of last season, would have expected him to the close by now

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
15 August, 2018 05:41
As mentioned, I reckon we need the cover just because some of our other tightheads are a little frail. I think he may well be kept on if he proves decent.

I would also suggest that our first choice props have been fine since Alan Tait finished his stint as head coach. Ok they haven't been Carl Hayman but you need to set world records in salary to bring in that sort of player.

Given our resources I think they have been well deployed.

The salary cap already is a mockery to some extent. It is not robust enough to prevent breaches. I would guess it's remaining existence is more to bargain salary with club stalwarts who want to play for the club they are at but also be paid the going rate, than to prevent clubs spending on top players.

15 August, 2018 10:03
Well its a 4 month trial essentially. If he shows up well, then they'll sign him long term, if not they'll let him go. Win Win situation.

As to the others...I actually have high hopes for Brocklebank (LH), Davison (I hope he focuses on LH) and big Jack Payne (TH) but they just need regular gametime now which they'll get.

Don't forget...a good scrum is not solely based on the front row. The second row boys have a HUGE part in the scrum .

I always remember one of the Wasps front rowers saying that when Simon Shaw was in the pack it was like having 3 men in the second row.

CharlieDog (IP Logged)
15 August, 2018 10:08
I'm glad Deano doesn't work on the basis of "I have zero idea but I think he'll be good" - just as it's equally strange to say (paraphrased.....) "I have zero idea but I think he'll be crap"

We are all entitled to our opinions...... including me..... but I would like to think mine are not based on zero idea.

Thankfully Deano is DoR

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
15 August, 2018 15:44
I guess we'll see Charlie. Our last USA prop was a huge success and he had 40+ caps....

I know people jump on the wagon at the sign of any criticism of the club but I really wish we'd sign some decent props. Going into the season with 3 AP standard props isn't ideal imo.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net