rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 16 November v Harlequins at Twickenham Stoop, 7.45pm

Friday 23 November v Bath Rugby at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 22-7 Bath Rugby

Jonny Foreigner
RiponFalcon (IP Logged)
14 August, 2018 19:28
EPCRugby rules state that you are only able to play 2 Ďnon-European Ď players in each 23 man squad. Is this likely to be a problem for the Falcons? I know there are many ways to get around this issue and would expect a number of players to have qualified due to length of time in European rugby or distant relatives who can assist in a passport application. Who do we have who are non-European? I would expect Kyle Cooper and Nemani Negusa not to qualify but what about the likes of Takulua and Cuvubati? Or could there be others that I assume now have residency?

Re: Jonny Foreigner
Andy Mac (IP Logged)
14 August, 2018 19:31
Someone cleverer than I will be alon shortly to explain kolpack ruling and why non Europeans doesnít cover saffers and islanders.

Having got shot of Olmstead, presumably because he counted as a foreigner, suggests to my novice brain that Deano is all over it.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
14 August, 2018 19:58
Stand to be corrected but I donít think we currently have any. Islanders donít count, nor do South Africans and a load of other countries thanks to Kolpak.

RiponFalcon (IP Logged)
14 August, 2018 20:10
Just looked up a bit more about the Kolpak rules. Looks like non-Europe means the few Aussies Kiwis and Americans who canít find a European ancestor.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
14 August, 2018 20:30
Plus Japanese, North Americans and the few Argentineans who donít have European ancestry.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
14 August, 2018 20:48
Yes as far as I am aware we have no foreigner players due to Kolpak rules etc
In the past Gopperth, Manning, Shortland all classed as foreign but as things stand we donít have any

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
15 August, 2018 05:47
Not that it really bothers me, but it does seem a little strange that you can opt to play for the US national team but still be considered European.

I know in international immigration rules this is possible due to dual citizenship resulting from parents of different nationalities. However, sport does really make the quirk of nationality border on the ridiculous sometimes....

Good luck to those that can though, I suppose. The alternative is probably unfair.

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
15 August, 2018 10:14
We have a lot of English and Scottish players anyway.

Some of the lads will be getting a run out against some of the best teams in Europe / the world. Great experience for them and for the Falcons going forward.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
15 August, 2018 11:39
I'm reliably informed by our team manager that this year's squad has the most EAPs (England academy players) in the history of the club.

That basically means England-qualified players under a certain age (early 20s, from memory).

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
15 August, 2018 11:57
I remember Deano saying, way back in his early days, that a local & loyal base to the squad would be essential to success of our club, stuck up here out of the way as we are. Looks like that is coming to fruition & there is definitely a feeling that our squad is now something special to Newcastle, not just a collection of players.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
15 August, 2018 12:24
Quote:
markismith50
I'm reliably informed by our team manager that this year's squad has the most EAPs (England academy players) in the history of the club.
That basically means England-qualified players under a certain age (early 20s, from memory).

Great news

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
15 August, 2018 15:56
It's great to see us signing young English talents like Williams etc, long may it continue.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net