rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 16 November v Harlequins at Twickenham Stoop, 7.45pm

Friday 23 November v Bath Rugby at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 22-7 Bath Rugby

Goldenwrists
stillamaccafan (IP Logged)
16 August, 2018 10:51
Danny and Ben are tortured souls.@#$%& in other words.Sort yourselves out lads,a couple of apologies wouldn't go amiss either,esp from Stokesy,who definitely has 'something of the night' about him.

Re: Goldenwrists
pityacker (IP Logged)
16 August, 2018 11:15
Cipriani wasnt fined for the alleged crime that started the trouble taking the bottles of vodka without paying , it reminds me when he first went to play in Australia there was an altercation there in a bar/nightclub when he also tried to remove a bottle of booze without paying. The dreaded booze and Danny aint compatable it even makes him walk into buses.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
16 August, 2018 11:22
Pleaded guilty of common assault & fined.

BBC

16 August, 2018 13:04
Lol.Buses,'ladies' of the night,pinching bottles of booze,assault.Whitgift's finest.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
16 August, 2018 13:46
He is an idiot, that's for sure, but part of me thinks he is perhaps not as much an idiot as the buffoons who thought it would be good to get him mortal drunk in a nightclub until the wee hours. Looks to me like he was set up for a fall that anybody with knowledge of his history could have predicted.

Not a good introduction to the culture at Gloucester. His time back at Wasps was a period of calm, so perhaps his team mates there were actually his mates & looked after him. His first time out with his new team ends in disaster, not a good omen if you ask me.

rubyrhone (IP Logged)
16 August, 2018 17:25
Right on the money Monkey. What I thought straight away.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
16 August, 2018 19:15
I think some people just shouldn't drink alcohol.

forensicpsych (IP Logged)
16 August, 2018 21:46
So, he assaulted a female to the degree that he caused bruising to her arm and reddening to her chest. ... and itís his mates that are to blame!? Are you for real!? A 30 year old England international ...!? So if it was someoneís wife. daughter, sister ...itís his mates fault!? Sorry - but this is rediculous. He may be a good rugby player - but for Gloucester to come out and support him - ...as if he is the victim ... really? he is solely and utterly responsible for his own behaviour. He has let down his team, country, and gender Does anyone put themselves in the position of the female officer-confronted by an England rugby international offering her violence ...stop the bleeding heart liberal forgiveness. He should never play for England rugby - otherwise do not pontificate to me on this formum about the respectability of rugby. Premiership rugby is questionable. I have read zilch so far about how this lady may have suffered from her experience. Iím a ex cop - I know how it feels to be over powered by more powerful people - but not those who seek to represent their country . Yet all I read is that he has been hard done to...give me a break.

CharlieDog (IP Logged)
16 August, 2018 22:52
Can't disagree with a word you've said

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
17 August, 2018 10:12
I don't think anybody is excusing what he did. I was just questioning the wisdom of taking somebody with his history to a nightclub & getting him lashed. If you know somebody is an alcoholic you don't offer them a drink. If you know somebody has just given up smoking you don't give them a packet of fags.

He has a history of doing very bad things when taken out clubbing, so why in the name of all that's holy did the idiots at Gloucester take him clubbing! I would like to think that nobody at Newcastle Falcons would do anything so stupid.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
17 August, 2018 10:33
Quote:
Monkey1
I don't think anybody is excusing what he did......

Erm, I take that back.

If you read the Wasps message board they have a very twisted idea. Apparently it is a non-story, all the fault of the bouncer, or the police, and don't you know that merely being near a police officer constitutes assault these days! It would appear that Cipriani is a saint & has never done anything wrong.
(Sm8)

BH (IP Logged)
17 August, 2018 10:46
I find Monkeys post above hilarious. To suggest others unwisely took him to the bar and got him lashed. Did they drag him there against his will? No, in my view he took himself there and got himself lashed. No one else to blame.

toastie1 (IP Logged)
17 August, 2018 11:19
I love Monkey's posts. They're always pithy, pertinent and to the point.
However I couldn't disagree more with him about Cipriani.

No-one made him drunk. No-one made him attack a police officer (!)

He did it all by himself.

He's not a child. He's 30 years old.

17 August, 2018 14:34
Up before the 'beaks' at the RFU,probably another fine.

Andy Mac (IP Logged)
17 August, 2018 16:01
My favourite line so far is Ďstop the bleeding heart liberal forgivenessí.

As is forgiveness is a liberal concept that should be stamped out!

aidanb (IP Logged)
21 August, 2018 14:57
The players union don't like what the RFU are trying to do

they say they have no basis to charge him

London_Falcon (IP Logged)
22 August, 2018 11:29
I actually agree with Monkey1 on this.

First and foremost Cipriani needs to get a grip of his behaviour after a few beers. He is clearly one of those 'obnoxious' drunks and should have the self-awareness to realise that he needs to avoid certain circumstances.

BUT, if I was planning that particular pre-season tour, and was thinking about giving the squad an alcohol fueled team-building session, I would definitely have located a private room with an understanding that the club would pick up the tab for any issues arising. Or at the very least I would have had someone senior within the coaching staff on hand and sober to help resolve issue with my newest high profile signing (with a history of this kind of behaviour).

Yorksfalcon (IP Logged)
22 August, 2018 17:47
Also agree with both monkey and the above, I was just taking my time to successfully articulate my point but London Falcon has saved me most of the effort.

Some posters are very quick to want to disagree with somebody but if you read Monkeys post he is not condoning or pardoning Ciprianiís idiotic behaviour he is suggesting that Gloucester should have predicted and managed the situation better, which they clearly should have done when sending them on what amounted to a club sponsored @#$%&-up.

23 August, 2018 07:44
I am now awaiting the suggestion that Cipriani should be congratulated for showing his non gender orientated violence in that he didnít give a t**s if he assaulted a male or female - never mind a police officer. His victim is an ex international footballer who Iím sure has seen enough of physical aggression to not over react to aggression that is, sadly, common place within her profession.

Offering blame displacement as mitigation for his behaviour is to excuse it and offers an excuse to those in the future who will exploit opportunities in order to mitigate for their own lack of self control. Ask why this player has not learned from his past experiences....because they have been overlooked and excused.

Monkey1 accuses others of being more idiotic than .....how can this be put.....a grown, intelligent, well educated, well raised, well paid, 30 year old England rugby union international.

I have read that he was Ďsentí and Ďtakení on this night out ....under what threat exactly? and why should he require chaperoning by anyone ...in fact his credentials suggest that it is in fact he that should be expected to set an example to others.

He wasnít forced to go. He could have politely declined and shown his comeraderie in other ways.

No one is responsible for his behaviour other than Cipriani - and the sooner people stop offering him possible excuses the better.

I donít think for one second that Monkey1 condones the behaviour - my issue is with the willingness to suggest others can be implicated and thereby offering a watering down of Ciprianiís sole responsibility.

CharlieDog (IP Logged)
23 August, 2018 09:02
Forensicpsych - 100% agree - perfectly put

23 August, 2018 09:05
Slap on the proverbial 'goldens'from the RFU after a 5 hour hearing! It would have taken them longer for the port and cigars.Good to see Cips had 'scrubbed up' for the 'dressing down',I've seen better dressed beggars at the Haymarket.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
23 August, 2018 09:52
I think the whole thing has been a bit overhyped because of who it is and without knowing the trigger and seeing footage or a good description of what what happened then it's difficult to comment.

A bar in town he'd probably have just been flung out by a doorman like many others.

Was he in wrong , yes no doubt. Anywhere near as bag as being made out - most probably not.

limpopo (IP Logged)
23 August, 2018 11:29
Plus one Charlie

aidanb (IP Logged)
23 August, 2018 11:48
Storm in a tea cup for me.

He's still a citizen of the UK and thus subject to it's laws. He broke them, he coughed to them and has been punished appropriately.

But

Would a mimimum wage lad in North Tyneside be getting a £2k fine for resisting arrest and common assault

Before the howls of derision, I am not condoning what he did but it certainly doesn't need the piano wire handed out.

23 August, 2018 15:52
Whatever the outcome its good to see Danny showing a bit of 'wisdom' and turning up in one of Norman's old jackets.

23 August, 2018 16:17
steve1888 - he pleaded guilty, video evidence from the doorman was provided, he has been found at guilty by his club and the RFU...how much more can you expect? The point about minimum wage North Tyneside lad...2k to Cips is most likely not far off what that lad could expect in ratio....and he wouldnít be an England role model.

So at the Saracens game, I shall arrive well served, demand that my mates outside are also let in, grab my drinks from the bar and head outside of the ground with them, in the process I shall remonstrate with the ticket checkers, resist expulsion and in doing so assault one of the security staff (regardless of gender)and cause them injury - not to mention the cost to the public purse of processing my arrest and court appearance. I shall anticipate support on this forum as clearly it will be the clubs fault for encouraging me to attend the game, offering me the opportunity to buy alcohol and not allocating me a chaperone. It will be considered a Ďstorm in a tea cupí, in no way question my suitability to own a season ticket and in fact warrant my free entry to the corporate entertainment for the remainder of the season (although my dress sense will probablY still be better than mega bucks Cips)....just checking.

Nuff said from me on this I think. Love this forum btw.

Andy Mac (IP Logged)
23 August, 2018 19:00
Forensicpsych- quick question - do you think political correctness has gone mad?

matt1il (IP Logged)
23 August, 2018 20:11
And to bring another disciplinary story in (but this one linked to Falcons/Rugby) Ashton is banned for 7 weeks which means he's banned for our visit to Sale.

6 weeks for tip tackle. 1 week for previous behaviour.

23 August, 2018 21:03
Andy Mac - sometimes yes I do. Never an all encompassing answer - depends on the issue. But i do at times dispair of the perceived need to appease all possible audiences in the quest to overly self promote and avoid negative appraisal. Was that a politically correct enough reply..smiling smiley?

aidanb (IP Logged)
24 August, 2018 09:09
Quote:
forensicpsych
..... The point about minimum wage North Tyneside lad...2k to Cips is most likely not far off what that lad could expect in ratio....and he wouldnít be an England role model.
So at the Saracens game, I shall arrive well served, demand that my mates outside are also let in, grab my drinks from the bar and head outside of the ground with them, in the process I shall remonstrate with the ticket checkers, resist expulsion and in doing so assault one of the security staff (regardless of gender)and cause them injury - not to mention the cost to the public purse of processing my arrest and court appearance. I shall anticipate support on this forum as clearly it will be the clubs fault for encouraging me to attend the game, offering me the opportunity to buy alcohol and not allocating me a chaperone. It will be considered a Ďstorm in a tea cupí, in no way question my suitability to own a season ticket and in fact warrant my free entry to the corporate entertainment for the remainder of the season (although my dress sense will probablY still be better than mega bucks Cips)....just checking.

Nuff said from me on this I think. Love this forum btw.

It would have been the same law he broke and not a more expensive one.

At no point has anyone said he shouldn't be punished but it certainly doesn't need the piano wire treatment.

He behaved wrongly, was caught, tried and punished. That was my point, the rest of the willy waving to make sure he is forever castigated and never allowed to return to working life is a sheer disgrace in this situation.

aidanb (IP Logged)
24 August, 2018 09:25
Quote:
matt1il
And to bring another disciplinary story in (but this one linked to Falcons/Rugby) Ashton is banned for 7 weeks which means he's banned for our visit to Sale.
6 weeks for tip tackle. 1 week for previous behaviour.

is the extra week because someone in the RFU has it in for him. It reads to me like that ?

Gosforth (IP Logged)
24 August, 2018 09:52
Heís 30 years old and itís being suggested the club should have chaperoned him and his mates shouldnít have led him astray. Give me a break. Heís a thug

aidanb (IP Logged)
24 August, 2018 10:40
Quote:
Gosforth
Heís 30 years old and itís being suggested the club should have chaperoned him and his mates shouldnít have led him astray. Give me a break. Heís a thug

So when I played rugby we had a lad who was a handful when the drink took over

We tried never to be around him for long nights out or made sure there were a couple of people on minder duty.

As already stated, if you know someone has a pre disposition to behave like a muppet when drunk then try not to help that behaviour along.

What is wrong with that concept ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net