rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 28 September v Wasps at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Saturday 6 October v Sale Sharks at AJ Bell Stadium, 3.00pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 17-24 Exeter Chiefs

Leinster v Falcons
Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
16 August, 2018 14:08
Leinster team. Stronger team than I thought they would put out.

15. Dave Kearney
14. Hugo Keenan
13. Rory O’Loughlin
12. Joe Tomane
11. Barry Daly
10. Ciarán Frawley
9. Jamison Gibson-Park
1. Ed Byrne
2. James Tracy
3. Michael Bent
4. Scott Fardy (C)
5. Mick Kearney
6. Josh Murphy
7. Will Connors
8. Caelan Doris

Replacements

Peter Dooley
Bryan Byrne
Vakh Abdaladze
Ross Molony
Ian Nagle
Max Deegan
Luke McGrath
Jimmy O’Brien
James Lowe
Tom Daly
Adam Byrne

Re: Leinster v Falcons
aidanb (IP Logged)
16 August, 2018 15:07
Newcastle Falcons team to play Leinster (Friday, 7pm, Energia Park, Dublin)

15 Alex Tait

14 Tom Arscott

13 Tom Penny

12 Josh Matavesi

11 Zach Kibirige

10 Toby Flood (captain)

9 Sam Stuart

1 Adam Brocklebank

2 Santiago Socino

3 Jack Payne

4 Will Witty

5 Calum Green

6 Simon Uzokwe

7 Connor Collett

8 Callum Chick

Replacements

1 Sami Mavinga

2 George McGuigan

3 Trevor Davison

4 Tevita Cavubati

5 Glen Young

6 Mark Wilson

7 Will Welch

8 Tom Marshall

9 James Elliott

10 Joel Hodgson

11 George Wacokecoke

12 Johnny Williams

13 Chris Harris

14 Adam Radwan

15 Simon Hammersley

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
16 August, 2018 15:51
Be good to see how we go against them.

The young front rowers (Brocklebank, Payne, Davison, Socino) are certainly getting plenty of exposure in the first two games. I wonder where the Wilson boys are...

pityacker (IP Logged)
16 August, 2018 16:05
None of the 4 Pacific Islanders who were involved in the summer games on show yet only Mark Wilson and Chris Harris who played for their countries on the summer tours get a game. We have a lot of props but arguably none of the first and second choice on show yet which is a real worry.

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
16 August, 2018 22:08
I have a feeling they will really push Payne on this season. Scotty got that horror injury in the Exeter game remember. How far is Welsh from fitness?

Wensleydale Falcon (IP Logged)
17 August, 2018 09:02
I really don,t think we need to be worrying about players not being involved at the moment.

Some of our guys played a hell of a lot of rugby last season and i am sure that their game time is just being managed carefully to ensure that they are ready to go and fully refreshed when the season gets underway.

Not long now folks....

Yorksfalcon (IP Logged)
17 August, 2018 09:57
Don’t suppose this one is on tv or being streamed at all?

markismith50 (IP Logged)
17 August, 2018 10:12
Not on TV. Not being streamed, that I’m aware of, anyway. We’ll have our usual twitter commentary, of course.

17 August, 2018 10:51
Quote:
Wensleydale Falcon
I really don,t think we need to be worrying about players not being involved at the moment.

Some of our guys played a hell of a lot of rugby last season
and i am sure that their game time is just being managed carefully to ensure that they are ready to go and fully refreshed when the season gets underway.

Not long now folks....

I agree totally...my concern is that Scott and Davy Wilson barely played any. Scott only really came through the second half of the season. Id have thought they'd have been getting some gametime if fit.

But as I said on other threads im actually quite hopeful of some of the younger props we have in the squad and Jack Payne looks one to work with. He looks a powerful big unit...maybe just needs tweaked with his scrum technique. I sure Mickey Ward is working on it!

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
17 August, 2018 19:45
Up 21-7 at half time. Penny, Kibirige and Uzokwe with the tires.

17 August, 2018 20:08
Radwan try with Hodgson conversion makes it 7-28 after 44 minutes. Sounds like we are playing very well with lots of youngsters and fringe players making first team claims. Great to see.

17 August, 2018 20:19
Mark Wilson try now. We sound completely dominant against the European Champs. Encouraging.

alas (IP Logged)
17 August, 2018 20:36
Didn't expect the Falcons to run in 42 points against Leinster. Well-played, lads.

pityacker (IP Logged)
17 August, 2018 20:50
A number of Falcon fans made the trip apparently what a great start for their weekend in Dublin.

17 August, 2018 20:55
Lets keep some perspective...I don't think they had one first teamer out there.

Nevertheless, a good run out and the younger members got further gametime which is essential for the season coming.

How did the front row boys get on...that the biggest one for me.

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
17 August, 2018 21:04
Cracking result no matter what the Leinster side is.

17 August, 2018 21:06
Ill keep my feet on the ground pooly winking smiley

More good experience and essential gametime for the lads though.

alas (IP Logged)
17 August, 2018 21:22
GeordieFalcon, who do you have as Leinster's first choice scrum-half if it's not Gibson-Park or McGrath? Yes, they were shorn of their Irish Internationals, but they still fielded the bulk of players who have no problem winning PRO 14 games. I remember the Falcons being beaten comfortably by Leinster's third team in the British and Irish Cup. So beating Leinster 42-17 away with at least 7 of the first choice players unavailable is some improvement.

RiponFalcon (IP Logged)
17 August, 2018 21:23
As far as I’m concerned tonight’s result makes the Falcons the true Champions of Europe

mannin (IP Logged)
17 August, 2018 21:54
I think there's at least 5 Leinster players who were out there who are very much first teamers and very regular in their big games too (or will be this season).

17 August, 2018 21:58
Quote:
RiponFalcon
As far as I’m concerned tonight’s result makes the Falcons the true Champions of Europe

No argument from me.

17 August, 2018 22:34
Quote:
alas
GeordieFalcon, who do you have as Leinster's first choice scrum-half if it's not Gibson-Park or McGrath? Yes, they were shorn of their Irish Internationals, but they still fielded the bulk of players who have no problem winning PRO 14 games. I remember the Falcons being beaten comfortably by Leinster's third team in the British and Irish Cup. So beating Leinster 42-17 away with at least 7 of the first choice players unavailable is some improvement.

Your right the two scrum halves, Scott Fardy, Joe Tomane and James Lowe are in and around the first team.

I still maintain, decent run out, youngsters got valuable gametime, one of the TH's got sin binned, we scored tries.

Ill reserve my judgement until the 2nd Sept v Saracens.

Davidten31 (IP Logged)
17 August, 2018 22:50
Great result from the lads tonight, looking forward to the double header next weekend v Edinburgh and Doncaster.

18 August, 2018 07:30
Yes Leinster first team wasn’t full strength but neither was ours. We were missing:

All the Pacific Islanders excluding Cavubati (Goneva, Sinoti, Mulipola, Takulua, Nagusa)
Kyle Cooper
Sam Lockwood
Gary Graham
Sean Robinson
Jon Welsh
Both Wilson props
Chris Harris
Michael Young

All players who would feature in our first team.

By the way is Kyle Cooper back in training after his injury at the end of last season? How are some of the others getting on?

Osric (IP Logged)
18 August, 2018 08:46
Fantastic result. Any highlights anywhere on the information superhighway?

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
18 August, 2018 08:51
Excellent result did not expect that. So can't wait for the new season. smiling smiley

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
18 August, 2018 09:11
Sounds like we got a bit of pasting in the scrum judging by reports, anybody see the game?

18 August, 2018 10:10
of course the scrum!!! (Sm120)

1. we cant afford or attract top props (they are the highest paid players in a squad)
2. if you bring in a couple of monsters at prop you tend to loose 2 players in mobile loose play
3.The scrum is becoming less and less of a weapon in the modern game.
4. we win our own ball 99.9/100
5. lets just enjoy the ride

(Sm145)

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
18 August, 2018 10:37
Sounds like they got a bit of a pasting on the scoreboard, judging by reports.

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
18 August, 2018 11:05
Thanks for your input Doddie.

The scrum is an on going concern and a personal interest of mine. We apparently conceded countless penalties on our 5m line resulting in a sin binning, I'm interested to know more.

Cumbrian_falcon (IP Logged)
18 August, 2018 11:37
Quote:
Pool_falcon
Sounds like we got a bit of pasting in the scrum judging by reports, anybody see the game?

According to the twitter feed our scrum was rock solid all game. I’m not sure where you got this opinion from? Mavinga was binned for persistently pulling the @#$%& down when defending from our 5 meter line. This can happen if your are deemed to be pulling it down and get pinged once then inverabley you will get a Sin-Binning.

DB23 (IP Logged)
18 August, 2018 11:53
An impressive result, albeit pre-season. Not to read too much into it but better than a loss.

The players seemed to up for it with intensity in attack and defence.

I am also happy for our scrum to be underestimated all season as it served us well enough last season and Smithy did say on Twitter that our scrum held up well as Cumbrian Falcon mentions above.

There is so much to look forward to with our younger players coming through well, backed up by a very promising bunch in the academy squad.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
18 August, 2018 12:54
Pool, the scrum was fine.

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
18 August, 2018 13:08
Thanks for that, I panicked a little when I read the (obviously biased) report from the game.

alchemist (IP Logged)
18 August, 2018 13:21
Pool

Check out the comments on the Twitter stream - I was very encouraged.

Falcons Twitter

The time you refer to was, I think, later in the game.

No mention of Sam Lockwood yet..... (unless I've missed something)

18 August, 2018 13:31
Apparently at the Notts game last week but arm in a sling. He still told someone on here he hoped to play some part of pre season so hope to see him involved in one of the games next week.

alchemist (IP Logged)
18 August, 2018 13:59
Cheers - thanks NF :-)

I'll be back from Japan for the Edinburgh game so I'm hoping they turn on some of the good stuff that I've missed while I've been away!

Horus (IP Logged)
18 August, 2018 17:25
Speaking to Leinster Rugby TV ahead of Friday's match in Donnybrook, Leo Cullen said: "Newcastle are a team that are very well-coached. They did incredibly well last year if you think they wouldn't be one of the well-budgeted teams in comparison to some of their Premiership rivals, but they managed to finish fourth last year and make the semi-finals.

"They're very well-coached, a very well-organised team. They're used to playing on this artificial surface as well, which is part of the terms of choosing that type of team to play in pre-season. Hopefully, we'll get a lot out of that as well and the guys can build on what they've done over the previous week and get a bit better.

Horus (IP Logged)
18 August, 2018 17:39
Match report in Irish Independent: 'Leinster will have to take a long, hard look at themselves before the start of the PRO14.

Ruthless Newcastle swooped early on foot of Leinster losing flanker Will Connors to injury, centre Tom Penny taking an irresistible line to gut the home side.

Leinster also lost Ciaran Frawley to what looked like an arm problem to signal the entry of Tom Daly to out-half.

The Carlow centre’s telepathic understanding with Barry Daly culminated in a sweet reply and a conversion by the same man.

It should have been the sign of better things to come. It was anything but.

Newcastle captain Toby Flood was the conductor in chief as wing Zach Kilbirige and flanker Simon Uzokwe hit home for tries two and three, both converted by Flood, for 21-7 at the break.

It went from bad to worse as Adam Radwan and James Elliott speared Leinster for another 14 points before Adam Byrne dived in from a metre for 35-12 in the 73rd minute.

There was further consolation from Daly’s second try before Johnny Williams closed the show.'

Horus (IP Logged)
18 August, 2018 17:59
Irish Times: 'Rusty Leinster get nailed by Newcastle at Donnybrook
European champions concede six tries in pre-season encounter
about 20 hours ago
Johnny Watterson at Donnybrook

Leinster’s Joe Tomane tackled by Josh Matavesi and Alex Tait of Newcastle during the pre-season friendly at Donnybrook. Photograph: Gary Carr/Inpho

Share to FacebookShare to TwitterShare to Email App

Leinster 17 Newcastle Falcons 42
A lot of rust on offer in Donnybrook. A kick straight to touch from Ciarán Frawley, a wrong option from captain Scott Fardy where he fed prop Ed Byrnewhen Barry Daly was at hand, basic errors and some slipping off tackles and Leinster ensured their pre-season friendly against Newcastle would be a chasing game.
But even a credible chase did not materialise. It is not often Leinster are seen this fragile.
Three tries from the Premiership side to one from Tom Daly in the first 40 minutes was flattering for the English visitors. But Leinster suffered an early blow, or rather Will Connors did, when he injured a knee in one of the first collisions and was replaced by Max Deegan after three minutes.
Just 13 minutes later outhalf Frawley was also forced out of the game with and arm or shoulder problem – Tom Daly coming in earlier than planned.
Shortly after that Newcastle drew first blood. In a simple move fullback Alex Tait came into the line in Leinster’s 22, held up the ball slightly and popped it for outside centre Tom Feeney to burst through, outhalf Toby Floodconverting for 7-0.
It took Leinster 20 minutes to find any of their top gears and force Newcastle to make more urgent tackles. But for much of their endeavour there was little on the scoreboard.
Daly touched down and converted excellently from the touchline for 7-7 before two late tries in the first half silenced the crowd. A training ground move off a lineout on the left and speedster Zach Kibirige cut through a gap in the Leinster centre before Simon Uzokwe went in low in the 40th minute, Ed Byrne unable to stop him.
Leinster’s intensity was inconsistent, more dipping than rising, especially in defensive mode inside their 22. They finally closed the first half a little dazed by what the scoreboard was telling them, 7-21 down.

It would be unfair and unlikely to expect that the Leinster side from last May magically turn up locked and loaded in August.
Most of the European Cup players were sitting in the player’s area watching and when Adam Radwan easily beat the Leinster defence with a slight shift of direction six minutes into the second half for the fourth try and 7-28, a sound beating was beginning to look like an unlikely rout.
With 10 players on the Leinster bench and 15 among the Newcastle replacements there were plenty of changes, which couldn’t have helped continuity.
Scrumhalf Luke McGrath made an instant impact when he came on, as much from his controlling tempo and direction. It was his break on 55 minutes from midfield that got him as close as anyone had to the Newcastle line. It is a huge season for the former St Michael’s player.
By the hour Leinster had leaked another try and another player, this time new signing Joe Tomane, who looked out of sorts making his way to the sideline, although the 7-35 numbers on the board might have explained that.
A yellow card for Sami Mavinga with 11 minutes remaining and blindside Josh Murphy went over but was held up as Leinster went through a series of five-yard scrums.
Seconds later Adam Byrne finished off what Murphy almost accomplished, Dave Kearney this time gaining a few of the hard yards, for 12-35. Tom Daly pulled another back for 17-35 before Johnny Williams intercepted and ran 40 yards. He won’t forget his try. Leinster will this match, their final game before Cardiff in the Pro14 opener.
Scoring sequence – 6 mins T Penny try, T Flood con 0-7; 27 mins T Daly try, con 7-7; 32 mins Z Kibirige try, Flood con 7-14; 39 mins S Uzokwa try, Flood con 7-21. Halftime. 46 mins A Radwan try, Flood con 7-28; 59 minsJ Elliott try, J Hodgson con 7-35; 72 mins A Byrne try 12-35; 76 mins T Daly try 17-35; 78 mins J Williams try, Hodgson con 17-42.

aidanb (IP Logged)
18 August, 2018 20:54
Quote:
Doddie's tartan trews
of course the scrum!!! (Sm120)
1. we cant afford or attract top props (they are the highest paid players in a squad)
2. if you bring in a couple of monsters at prop you tend to loose 2 players in mobile loose play
3.The scrum is becoming less and less of a weapon in the modern game.
4. we win our own ball 99.9/100
5. lets just enjoy the ride

(Sm145)

Don’t forget a good pre season win for our guys against better opposition than we are used to in pre season.

So surely Deano is now scouring the land to break some props out of their lucrative contracts

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
20 August, 2018 13:06
Was there any highlights available?

AJfalc (IP Logged)
23 August, 2018 10:49
I watched the highlights on Falcons YouTube, some excellent handling, offloads and support by the lads - yes, I know it wasn't the Leinster first team.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
23 August, 2018 11:15
Watched the highlights too. Unfortunate there's no sound but the interplay and handling as AJfalc says was first class. The play leading up to Kibirige's try was something to behold.

23 August, 2018 12:18
I guess they'll be putting out a fairly strong team for the last "Mis En Place" or what ever the friendlies are called in France.

The one thing I have picked up from the Leinster game is that some of our attacking play was extremely fluid and cutting. Penny for example running very intelligent lines of attack etc.

I really think Johnny Williams could be such an influential player for us in that regards if he finds his potential...he's a direct strike runner from the midfield...something I genuinely think we missed with JPS not being in the squad much last season and obviously gone this.

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
23 August, 2018 14:03
Some great handling and patient built up play. I like the way we went through phases and didn't look flustered. Some great play from the wingers and Williams looked very handy.

CharlieDog (IP Logged)
23 August, 2018 14:10
Shame there was no footage of the scrums......

(Sm159)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net