rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 21 September v Exeter Chiefs at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Friday 28 September v Wasps at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Last result: Worcester Warriors 20-23 Newcastle Falcons

Edinburgh v Falcons Team
aidanb (IP Logged)
23 August, 2018 12:03

Re: Edinburgh v Falcons Team
aidanb (IP Logged)
23 August, 2018 12:13
oh and here's some good news

Replacements

17 David Wilson

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
23 August, 2018 12:15
Quote:
aidanb
Replacements

17 David Wilson

Yes very. Still no sign of Scotty or Welsh or Kyle Cooper though which isnít good

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
23 August, 2018 12:22
That could very well be the first choice back 5 this season!

aidanb (IP Logged)
23 August, 2018 12:36
Quote:
Falc Dancer
Quote:
aidanb
Replacements

17 David Wilson

Yes very. Still no sign of Scotty or Welsh or Kyle Cooper though which isnít good

In George and Santi we have 2 very good hookers. When Kyle is back in contention it will be a massive contest.

Quote:
GeordieFalcon

I'm Sure Callum Green, Tevita Cavubati, Glen Young, Gary Graham, Connor Collett and Nemani Nagusa might want to dispute that and just goes to show what a good back 5 we also have

It's a strange old place to be going into the season feeling like we are properly on the front foot.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
23 August, 2018 13:01
Can we all stop panicking about Lockwood too since since he's in the squad for Doncaster on Saturday?

23 August, 2018 13:04
Quote:
aidanb
Quote:
Falc Dancer
Quote:
aidanb
Replacements

17 David Wilson

In George and Santi we have 2 very good hookers. When Kyle is back in contention it will be a massive contest.

Quote:
GeordieFalcon

I'm Sure Callum Green, Tevita Cavubati, Glen Young, Gary Graham, Connor Collett and Nemani Nagusa might want to dispute that and just goes to show what a good back 5 we also have

It's a strange old place to be going into the season feeling like we are properly on the front foot.

I completely missed Green. He'd be first choice. But aside from him...if Deano had to put a team down...id put my mortgage on that back five..Witty out Green in.

However you are completely correct, we have some serious selection options now.

Shows how far we have come.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/08/2018 13:05 by GeordieFalcon.

23 August, 2018 13:12
Edinburgh team to face Newcastle Falcons in pre-season at Kingston Park this Friday 24 August (kick-off 7.45pm)

15. Dougie Fife

14. Tom Brown

13. Mark Bennett

12. Matt Scott

11. Duhan van der Merwe

10. Jaco van der Walt

9. Henry Pyrgos

1. Pierre Schoeman

2. Stuart McInally CAPTAIN

3. Murray McCallum

4. Fraser McKenzie

5. Ben Toolis

6. Luke Hamilton

7. Hamish Watson

8. Bill Mata

Replacements: Allan Dell, WP Nel, Ross Ford, Callum Hunter-Hill, Callum Atkinson, Jamie Ritchie, Luke Crosbie, Senitiki Nayalo, Sean Kennedy, Jason Baggott, Jamie Farndale, Juan Pablo Socino, James Johnstone, Chris Dean, George Taylor, Jamie Hodgson, Charlie Shiel, Pietro Ceccarelli, Dave Cherry and Jack Blain.

Quality Edinburgh side . The battle of the back rows will be immense i really rate Watson.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
23 August, 2018 13:25
Fraser Mckenzie and JPS return

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
23 August, 2018 14:05
Some really strong options in the back 5, we're looking good there. Hooker is possibly the best we've had in years, any of the 3 would be a great option.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
23 August, 2018 15:48
Very strong team there looking forward to this one. smiling smiley

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
23 August, 2018 19:34
Both of our sides over the weekend look great. We have strength and depth in numbers.

Radwan has a great chance to stake his claim against Saracens.

Andy Mac (IP Logged)
23 August, 2018 19:50
I liked the team announcement on instagram, smithy. Nice way of doing it, I thought.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
23 August, 2018 20:32
Thatís the handiwork of my colleague Andrew Robson, Andy Mac. I canít take the credit, Iíve been in London all day at the Prem launch.

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
24 August, 2018 02:41
Quote:
Andy Mac
I liked the team announcement on instagram, smithy. Nice way of doing it, I thought.

Agree! Fantastic!!!

dick g (IP Logged)
24 August, 2018 07:26
Quote:
markismith50
Thatís the handiwork of my colleague Andrew Robson, Andy Mac. I canít take the credit, Iíve been in London all day at the Prem launch.

Your presence easily spans 270 miles.

aidanb (IP Logged)
24 August, 2018 09:55
Quote:
dick g
Quote:
markismith50

is that journo speak for lay off the pies ?????

dick g (IP Logged)
24 August, 2018 13:52
Quote:
aidanb
Quote:
dick g
Quote:
markismith50

is that journo speak for lay off the pies ?????

Why would the pot suggest the kettle is miscoloured?

Cumbrian_falcon (IP Logged)
24 August, 2018 15:05
Is there any commentary for the game tonight?

Running Rugby (IP Logged)
24 August, 2018 16:06
I have liked the way the falcons coaching staff have picked the sides so far for pre season, a good blend of youth and experience, giving the new academy lads plenty of chances to impress, and giving them the chance to play alongside seasoned players at the club, which can only be good for the long term.

Also putting two sides out such as these, shows the depth we have at the club and bodes well for the upcoming season.

Brilliant news to see Davy Wilson back on the Falcons bench. He has been very unlucky with injuries since re-signing and deserves a good run in the side, or coming from the bench, as he is a major asset when fit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/08/2018 16:31 by Running Rugby.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
24 August, 2018 17:35
No, there's no commentary tonight.

Logo Mulipola has had to pull out through injury so Davey Wilson is starting, is going to play around half an hour, and then Paul Mullen will come on to the bench.

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
24 August, 2018 17:40
Hope the injury isn't a bad one mark?

markismith50 (IP Logged)
24 August, 2018 17:54
No, should be fine.

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
24 August, 2018 17:58
Quote:
markismith50
No, should be fine.

Thanks ! I love logo!

aidanb (IP Logged)
24 August, 2018 19:03
Hand looks like he punched someone.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
24 August, 2018 19:24
Nothing like that, Aidan. Just a cut that got infected. He'll be fine.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
24 August, 2018 20:22
First half in a nut shell - nothing in it but Falcons handling is poor and Stuart ball from the base not hitting its target

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
24 August, 2018 21:19
Woeful

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
24 August, 2018 21:57
We went all lateral again. Needed someone to straighten the game. It reminded me of the Gloucester game last season at home.

Radwan is something isn't he?

Osric (IP Logged)
24 August, 2018 22:06
Williams can tackle!!

DB23 (IP Logged)
24 August, 2018 22:11
Was expecting better after the Leinster performance, it was pretty lacklustre except Radwan who was pretty special.

Beaten most everywhere by Edinburgh, especially at the breakdown. Edinburgh werenít great, but effective and organised.

Iím sure weíll be a lot better next week.

24 August, 2018 22:34
Well I kept my feet on the ground after the Leinster result.

Edinburgh had a strong team out and they were up for it from the start.

Lots of huff and puff from the falcons but little clinical attacking threat aside from Radwan who just looks electric and that try was class! I thought Johnny Williams was playing well before he went off injured.

Having said that Edinburgh weren't much of an attacking threat either. Matt Scott showed his class a few times..but he is that.. a classy centre.

Falcons need to work the attack again...running lines etc.it was all very predictable.
But again we shouldn't take a huge amount from this..

Now the injury count...
Davy Wilson didn't even make the start of the game.
Johnny Williams went off limping
Chris Harris went off limping
And Glen young went off right at the end on a crutch.
I also noticed Mark Wilson holding his hamstring on numerous occasions. Hope that's not an issue.

Hope they're all minor.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 24/08/2018 22:46 by GeordieFalcon.

pityacker (IP Logged)
24 August, 2018 23:02
Robinson only just back after injury went off early and was on 2 crutches in the players enclosure.

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
25 August, 2018 04:45
Concerning injury report. Really hope that some of those are okay for next weekend.

25 August, 2018 08:00
Ah i fogrot about Robinson.

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
25 August, 2018 09:41
Thought mavinga was quite good and he started at tight head i think? Encouraging...

pityacker (IP Logged)
25 August, 2018 09:45
Pretty moderate and disappointing affair , Edinburghs well organised rush defence closed Falcons space down and they were mostly clueless how to get past it. Beaten at lineout and when Edinburgh changed their props we got munched at scrum time. Only Radwan stood out above more established players and Johnny Williams looked like he is going to be a good player for us otherwise not a lot to get excited about. Some good players yet to show this season so fingers crossed they will soon be back and as already been mentione in other posts hope the injuries incurred aint too serious .Huge improvements needed for next week otherwise Saracens will hand us a walloping.

pityacker (IP Logged)
25 August, 2018 09:47
Quote:
Marco19819
Thought mavinga was quite good and he started at tight head i think? Encouraging...

Mavinga was always at loose head all night.

25 August, 2018 10:26
the first half the two teams cancelled each other out. Williams looked great and put in 4 massive hits.Radwan looked eager and defended well, not too sure about his sideways running to look for the space its a very 7s thing to do and good teams will snuff his threat out but going forward he looks great. felt a bit sorry for Sami as he got passed the ball on numerous occasions along with two Edinburgh defenders but he was solid.
Falcons could not generate quick ball all game as the Edinburgh back row are very good at getting in and slowing things down and our forwards seemed a bit like they wanted to practice the set plays and did not adapt quick enough to clear Edinburgh out.
second half was meh!! we ended up with a centre pairing of Hodgeson and Hammersley ! wet conditions did not help.

As Dean says "a good kick up the @#$%&" will do us no harm.

Kingston Parker (IP Logged)
25 August, 2018 10:43
What was the score?

Osric (IP Logged)
25 August, 2018 10:51
We seemed to play the second half without any centres. Goneva moved to 13 and I know he doubles up but ....

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
25 August, 2018 11:45
Sounded like a good number of injuries from that game hope they are ok for next weekend. smiling smiley

steve1888 (IP Logged)
25 August, 2018 11:47
I never read too much in to Friendlies, hard to know what's being trialed or tested and while we can guess we will only know when the season starts properly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net