rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 16 November v Harlequins at Twickenham Stoop, 7.45pm

Friday 23 November v Bath Rugby at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 22-7 Bath Rugby

Confirmation of 18 19 skipper
aidanb (IP Logged)
23 August, 2018 11:50
Will Welch

great news as far as I'm concerned

Re: Confirmation of 18 19 skipper
Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
23 August, 2018 12:23
Yes agreed
No need to change this

CharlieDog (IP Logged)
23 August, 2018 13:02
Was there ever a doubt?

lizard118 (IP Logged)
23 August, 2018 15:20
No. The only other candidate would be Wilson, but i think everyone is fairly happy with Welch.

pityacker (IP Logged)
23 August, 2018 15:26
With Ally Hogg retired would imagine Mark Wilson will take the vice captains reins.

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
23 August, 2018 18:23
Obvious and correct choice.

But we now have a few more leaders on the park to support him...something else that's developing nicely

lizard118 (IP Logged)
23 August, 2018 20:24
Quote:
GeordieFalcon
Obvious and correct choice.
But we now have a few more leaders on the park to support him...something else that's developing nicely
Yes we have a good nucleus of players who are leaders in their own right. The likes of Wilson, Green, Flood, Young etc are all leaders in their own right.
We have a good core that makes for a good team. I think we'll do just fine again if we avoid injuries to key players.

DB23 (IP Logged)
23 August, 2018 21:26
It may be the obvious choice but he is not a leader and it places limitations on back row options, of which we have plenty, if Welch is guaranteed a spot

CharlieDog (IP Logged)
23 August, 2018 23:03
Quote:
DB23
It may be the obvious choice but he is not a leader and it places limitations on back row options, of which we have plenty, if W4elch is guaranteed a spot

Wrong on 2 accounts: he is a leader and he is not guaranteed a spot

DB23 (IP Logged)
24 August, 2018 05:44
Quote:
CharlieDog
Quote:
DB23
It may be the obvious choice but he is not a leader and it places limitations on back row options, of which we have plenty, if W4elch is guaranteed a spot

I am not wrong, itís my opinion not a statement of fact. This is a forum for opinions and debate and I respect opionions of others, you should do the same.

dick g (IP Logged)
24 August, 2018 06:28
Quote:
DB23
Quote:
CharlieDog
Quote:
DB23

I am not wrong, itís my opinion not a statement of fact. This is a forum for opinions and debate and I respect opionions of others, you should do the same.

Handbags?

DB23 (IP Logged)
24 August, 2018 07:08
Quote:
dick g
Quote:
DB23
Quote:
CharlieDog
Quote:
DB23

Handbags?

No, Dick, just trying to maintain a sense of decorum! I value all opinions, there are no right or wrong answers unless they are statements of fact, of course

aidanb (IP Logged)
24 August, 2018 08:54
Quote:
DB23
It may be the obvious choice but he is not a leader and it places limitations on back row options, of which we have plenty, if Welch is guaranteed a spot

I like him as a leader

Last year I had the ref link and could hear him regularly giving the ref some decision making assistance.

He leads by example on the pitch and is a fantastic player.

Off the pitch he seems to be a great ambassador also.

As for being guaranteed a place, he missed a few through injury last year and wasn't rushed back because the club has a number of leaders. Thus the pressure is off in terms of selection so that if he misses out then so be it.

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
24 August, 2018 11:10
Deanos pick for captain is never usually the best player on the pitch. He picks the player most fits what he wants from a Captain. He is not sentimental if that player is not one of the best 22 when it comes to match day selections.

I think he had Skinner at Quins. Though his Tigers captain was easier....

24 August, 2018 11:32
Quote:
DB23

Im not sure DB.

Will reminds me of Lewis Moody in many ways...in that he seems to have no fear for his own personal safety. He puts his head in where it hurts and leads from the front defensively...making tackle after tackle, and will simply not stop until that final whistle is blown. That alone makes people follow your lead.

That's the kind of mentality that Dean is building this team around.

I also think he does talk to the refs...he's not extravagant about it. You don't need to be. Subtle chats about scenarios probably get more results than screaming and shouting at a ref.

The other thing..is that Will is not guaranteed an automatic place. He will know only too well that players like Gary Graham, Connor Collett, Calum Chick etc WILL get plenty of gametime as with others. But that's fine...he's the CLUB captain and still gives advice in the changing room etc.
On the pitch, you then have mark Wilson take over..or Calum Green, or Calum Chick etc.
back row rotation will happen. Welch will most likely be involved in the key games though.

Club Captain is much more than just a player on the pitch.

Of course that is just my opinion, and we're all entitled to our own grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/08/2018 11:35 by GeordieFalcon.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
24 August, 2018 12:02
I'm amazed people dont have Will as a shoe in starter ? Him and Wilson 1st 2 names on the team sheet for me even in Mark moves to 8 to accomdate GG.

aidanb (IP Logged)
24 August, 2018 12:23
Quote:
steve1888
I'm amazed people dont have Will as a shoe in starter ? Him and Wilson 1st 2 names on the team sheet for me even in Mark moves to 8 to accomdate GG.

He'd certainly start most for me but not a shoe in

MW
GG
WW
NN
CC
and
CC

then the other non matching first and last name back rows are all in with a chance of starting so he may

Ryan Burrows
Simon Uzokwe

Oddly enough
is this a Deano fetish to mostly have back row players with matching initials

24 August, 2018 12:56
I think Will Welch will start most of the key / crucial games.

I said previously on another thread that

Green
Robinson
Welch
Wilson
Chick

is probably Deans trusted go to back 5.

However its a huge season (The Prem, Champions League and Prem Cup) and we have a serious amount of competition now...just look at those back row options.

Will and even Mark Wilson cant both think they will play EVERY game. That's just ludicrous. And why would they when you have players like Gary Graham etc in you squad.

Rotate them and keep the squad fit and keen!

Running Rugby (IP Logged)
24 August, 2018 15:07
Very happy with the continuation of Will Welch as skipper, he has more than proven himself to be an excellent captain, and for me, is one of the first names on the team sheet.

DB23 (IP Logged)
24 August, 2018 17:11
Well, this has caused some debate which is great! Itís what the forum is about.
Enjoy the match tonight, all, and, for what itís worth, I hope Welch has a good game

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net