rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 23 November v Bath Rugby at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Saturday 1 December v Northampton Saints at Franklin's Gardens, 3.00pm

Last result: Harlequins 20-7 Newcastle Falcons

Sarries and injuries
Marco19819 (IP Logged)
25 August, 2018 16:07
It isn't just us who are suffering with injuries. I see briz have lost piatau already and faf is missing 6 weeks at sale.

However, which players will be available for selection v sarries do we think?

I gather there were some injuries at Doncaster as well?

I hope mulipola and williams are both fit and i wonder if davey will be as well?

In other news...would you start Radwan? I probably would, you know!

Re: Sarries and injuries
Osric (IP Logged)
25 August, 2018 18:44
If fit

Hammersley or Tait
Goneva
Harris
Matavesi
Radwan
Flood
Takulua

Is there anyone fit?
Cooper then Socino then McGuigan - fitness depending
Is there anyone fit?
Green
Robinson
Graham
Welsh
Wilson

For me, Graham is too good to leave out

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
25 August, 2018 19:45
I would agree but i would pick tait at 15 and witty with green at lock.

Mavinga is fit, along with trev, mulipola (who will be fit as i understand), brocklebank and mullen. Davey Wilson can't seem to stay fit. What happened to him last night? Where's lockwood?

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
26 August, 2018 06:03
Lockwood was listed in the subs for Doncaster but was withdrawn. Not sure if that was as a result of the prop injuries received Friday or if he also had a set back.

Most concerning is that the only props to have pre season games under their belt are Brocklebank & Mavinga for loosehead and Payne, Mullen & Davison (he had to play loose against Doncaster.

It sounds like Mulipola was withdrawn as a precaution so hopefully he will recover and be fit enough to start against Saracens. But what about loosehead? Hopefully Brocklebank/Mavinga can step up and either one or Lockwood can play a role from the bench.

Whatís the status of Welsh and D Wilson?

TRP reporting that we are on a lookout for another prop due to S Wilsonís retirement. No s**t Sherlock.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
26 August, 2018 06:39
I'd have thought Mullen was the cover for Scott Wilson's retirement, at least short term.

aidanb (IP Logged)
26 August, 2018 07:50
In the Friday game thread Smithy said this re Logo so I don't expect it to be a time out issue

Quote:
markismith50
Nothing like that, Aidan. Just a cut that got infected. He'll be fine.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
26 August, 2018 08:05
The problem is props do get injured over the season, if I was Deano I would still be on the lookout for another prop. smiling smiley

aidanb (IP Logged)
26 August, 2018 08:37
Thats why we have this lot

Jon Welsh
Sami Mavinga
Sam Lockwood
Adam Brocklebank
Trevor Davison
Logo Mulipola
Davey Wilson
Jack Payne
Paul Mullen (loan)

thats 9 people for 4 spots in the squad

over 50% injured is a problem though

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
26 August, 2018 09:48
Yeah keep forgetting about Payne I reckon we will see more of him this season. smiling smiley

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
26 August, 2018 09:57
Davison is a loosehead who had to cover tighthead last season.

Well be alright. It's the attacking creativity that's the concern.

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
26 August, 2018 11:20
I think mavinga looked pretty good (aside from getting 2 terrible passes from the same player) and i think we will see a bit more of payne, yes.

He's a big unit but needs to work on his fitness from what i have seen. They obviously like brocklebank and logo can play both sides i think.

I agree on attacking creativity but, traditionally, you need a solid platform at prem level to even think about attacking. Think that's why everyone is so worried about the scrum. By the way, there is nothing wrong with being critical of this area as some people seem to think. Its part of being a fan- support your club but also be aware of weakness and demand improvement!

lizard118 (IP Logged)
26 August, 2018 17:32
Quote:
Marco19819
I think mavinga looked pretty good (aside from getting 2 terrible passes from the same player) and i think we will see a bit more of payne, yes.
He's a big unit but needs to work on his fitness from what i have seen. They obviously like brocklebank and logo can play both sides i think.

I agree on attacking creativity but, traditionally, you need a solid platform at prem level to even think about attacking. Think that's why everyone is so worried about the scrum. By the way, there is nothing wrong with being critical of this area as some people seem to think. Its part of being a fan- support your club but also be aware of weakness and demand improvement!
Agree with your assessment. But I think we will be just fine.
What's people's views on Brocklebank and young Connon? The former appears fit for a prop but don't know the situation in terms of scrummaging. Last time I heard management seems to think highly of him.

Would like to know what sort of fly-half Connon is. Is he ready for the first team? Shame we didn't retain Willis. I thought he was our next fly-half. He looked like a Charlie Hodgson type fly-half. But noticed he hasn't fitured much for Ealing in pre-season. May be a mentality thing. Can see he back ala Hodgson.

dksniper (IP Logged)
27 August, 2018 06:08
From my position in west stand it was just a lot of "crap" passes, mixed too, i.e. behind, short, dying and inaccurate. They got caught short a few times with Edinburgh blitz. Just a bad day at office. I am not too worried about it. Pre season friendly and werent really fired up for it imo.

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
27 August, 2018 12:42
Quote:
dksniper
From my position in west stand it was just a lot of "crap" passes, mixed too, i.e. behind, short, dying and inaccurate. They got caught short a few times with Edinburgh blitz. Just a bad day at office. I am not too worried about it. Pre season friendly and werent really fired up for it imo.

I agree...it was very similar to gloucester at home last srason. We got lateral and had noone to straighten the field up. That's where people like logo, witty and chick are useful as they do do that for us. It all starts at 9 I'm afraid ...and the front row!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/08/2018 13:36 by Marco19819.

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
28 August, 2018 15:00
Mavinga is an odd one. Coming from the T14, the props can generally scrummage, but he's struggled the few times I've seen him. He's took a long time to get up to speed too, I hope we didn't bring him across on a big salary.

Really looking forward to seeing Logo. With him and Welsh, or switching to TH with Lockwood, we should be competitive.

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
28 August, 2018 15:39
I assume jon welsh has been wrapped in cotton wool for the summer?

Susiewong (IP Logged)
28 August, 2018 18:23
Rad wan needs space in which to operate in, we need to draw the opposition backs in more to allow him to run. I watched him against Edinburgh and the poor lad nearly always got the ball close to the line forcing him to cut back inside. I hope Dave Walker has the same thoughts as me.

28 August, 2018 21:03
Quote:
Susiewong
Rad wan needs space in which to operate in, we need to draw the opposition backs in more to allow him to run. I watched him against Edinburgh and the poor lad nearly always got the ball close to the line forcing him to cut back inside. I hope Dave Walker has the same thoughts as me.

I've heard he formulates all of his tactics based on what Random Internet Persons post on message boards.

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
29 August, 2018 07:30
See i don't even think he needs that much space! The kid looks electric to me. Loads of people talking around me at the game about "running sideways" (a certain mr robinson used to do that!)but i think he brings something quite special to the field. In terms of beating defenders, he is as good as i have seen at that age.

Turner966 (IP Logged)
29 August, 2018 08:01
I agree completely. He is very similar in style to Jason Robinson and his first move is always forward. He always makes ground. Good to see his tackling has improved and he has bulked up for the new season. Based on preseason performances he was the most positive player and should start with Arscott at FB.

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
29 August, 2018 09:06
I'm sure Dave knows that you need to earn the right to go wide. I suspect this is why we've added a few carriers to the pack and Williams to the backs

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
29 August, 2018 13:05
Quote:
Turner966
I agree completely. He is very similar in style to Jason Robinson and his first move is always forward. He always makes ground. Good to see his tackling has improved and he has bulked up for the new season. Based on preseason performances he was the most positive player and should start with Arscott at FB.

He looks like he has worked hard on conditioning. I am not sure what he is like in the air, he took one really good one on friday, but i can see him at full back as well.

I still harbour hopes for cam Cowell who is also electric!

pityacker (IP Logged)
29 August, 2018 13:50
He looks like he has worked hard on conditioning. I am not sure what he is like in the air, he took one really good one on friday, but i can see him at full back as well.

I still harbour hopes for cam Cowell who is also electric![/quote]

Apparently Cam Cowell is on loan for the season at Doncaster.

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
29 August, 2018 18:33
He is, yes, along wirh Dawson, who is another i really like. Hopefully they will get some game time!

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
29 August, 2018 18:35
Mulipola
Cooper
Welsh
Witty
Green
Graham
Welch
Wilson
Taka
Flood
Matavesi
Harris/williams
Sinoti
Goneva
Tait

Would be my ideal team for sarries. No idea if it will happen!

29 August, 2018 19:15
I was previously thinking about Radwan at full back. He would cause even more havoc attacking from those deep positions!

It will be interesting to see whether he starts against Saracens. Heís had more game time in pre season and was given the start against Edinburgh ahead of Sinoti. Either Radwan or Sinoti would be a great finisher to bring on from the bench.

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
29 August, 2018 19:25
Quote:
NorfolkFalcon
I was previously thinking about Radwan at full back. He would cause even more havoc attacking from those deep positions!
It will be interesting to see whether he starts against Saracens. Heís had more game time in pre season and was given the start against Edinburgh ahead of Sinoti. Either Radwan or Sinoti would be a great finisher to bring on from the bench.

I agree! I would kove to see him start but it feels like a big step for him. The kid doesn't lack confidence though and i agree....either player would be a nightmare on legs coming on fresh on at 60 minutes!

upwardonward (IP Logged)
30 August, 2018 08:23
I do like the look of Marco's side and it would probably be the one I would like to see take the field.However niggles and knocks might prevent it.
Looking forward to the Season.Fed up watching that round ball cr~p already smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/08/2018 08:24 by upwardonward.

aidanb (IP Logged)
30 August, 2018 10:24
Sami Mavinga
George McGuigan
Logo Mulipola
Witty
Green
Graham
Welch
Wilson
Taka
Flood
Sinoti
Matavesi
Chris Harris
Goneva
Tait

Sam Lockwood
Santi Socino
Trevor Davison
Tevita Cavubati
Connor Collett
Sam Stuart
Johnny Williams
Adam Radwan

would be my guess

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
30 August, 2018 11:26
Yes that'll be close to it. Where is welsh?

Quote:
aidanb
Sami Mavinga
George McGuigan
Logo Mulipola
Witty
Green
Graham
Welch
Wilson
Taka
Flood
Sinoti
Matavesi
Chris Harris
Goneva
Tait

Sam Lockwood
Santi Socino
Trevor Davison
Tevita Cavubati
Connor Collett
Sam Stuart
Johnny Williams
Adam Radwan

would be my guess

aidanb (IP Logged)
30 August, 2018 11:34
injured it would appear

30 August, 2018 18:46
Michael Young?

eastfalcon (IP Logged)
31 August, 2018 10:33
Radwan was given a run out at FB for one match at Darlington Mowden Park last season and he didn't look comfortable there at all.

Onwards and Upwards!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net