rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Sunday 16 December v Edinburgh Rugby at Kingston Park, 3.15pm

Sunday 23 December v Gloucester Rugby at Kingston Park, 3.00pm

Last result: Edinburgh Rugby 31-13 Newcastle Falcons

Teams for Tiggers game
Monkey1 (IP Logged)
07 September, 2018 11:01
Newcastle Falcons team to play Leicester Tigers (Saturday, 3pm, Welford Road)

15 Simon Hammersley

14 Vereniki Goneva

13 Chris Harris

12 Josh Matavesi

11 Sinoti Sinoti

10 Toby Flood

9 Sonatane Takulua

1 Sami Mavinga

2 George McGuigan

3 Logovi'i Mulipola

4 Calum Green

5 Will Witty

6 Mark Wilson

7 Will Welch (captain)

8 Callum Chick

Replacements

16 Santiago Socino

17 Adam Brocklebank

18 Jack Payne

19 Tevita Cavubati

20 Gary Graham

21 Sam Stuart

22 Joel Hodgson

23 Alex Tait

Leicester Tigers

15 Telusa Veainu

14 Adam Thompstone

13 Manu Tuilagi

12 Kyle Eastmond

11 Jonny May

10 George Ford

9 Ben Youngs

1 Greg Bateman

2 Tom Youngs (captain)

3 Dan Cole

4 Mike Williams

5 Will Spencer

6 David Denton

7 Brendon OíConnor

8 Sione Kalamafoni

Replacements

16 Jimmy Stevens

17 Campese Maíafu

18 David Feao

19 Harry Wells

20 Guy Thompson

21 Sam Harrison

22 Tom Hardwick

23 Jordan Olowofela

Referee: Matthew Carley

Offy - Sinoti is back.

Re: Teams for Tiggers game
Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
07 September, 2018 11:22
Only 1 change, nice to see some consistency.

Any issues with our new Nagusa, Collet and Williams?

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
07 September, 2018 11:36
Good team selection, happy with that

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
07 September, 2018 12:32
Good strong team there come on Falcons!. smiling smiley

mannin (IP Logged)
07 September, 2018 12:43
Quote:
Pool_falcon

Wouldn't expect Wilson, Welch or Graham to be left out of a full-strength 23 so going to be tough for anyone wanting the 4th spot.

pityacker (IP Logged)
07 September, 2018 12:54
Quote:
Pool_falcon

Nagusa and Williams wern't involved in the A team game at Worcester although Collet was however as has been mentioned many many times we are unlikely to find out if they are injured or not due to management's policy of keeping details to themselves unlike lots of other clubs who print a list of who is not considered due to injury etc.

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
07 September, 2018 15:15
Johnny Williams limped off v Edinburgh, so maybe a slight twinge? Plus for the first few games Deano is bound to stick with his trusts lieutenants, then maybe tweak a few things.

I really hope to see more creativity in the backs this weekend. We could have taken Saracens on Sunday with a bit of intelligence.

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
07 September, 2018 18:13
Good side.

Their bench doesn't look that strong...could be key.

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 14:10
Awful first 15mins......22-0 down! Defence is non existent and Flood is having a mare.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 14:13
Dear oh dear

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 14:14
Donít seem to have an answer to their attack. Could be a long afternoon 😞

Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 14:15
Shambolic performance so far.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 14:17
32 points conceded after 27 mins. What on earth is going on down there

Xanderman (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 14:24
Hammersly is offering in attack but his defence is non existent. A lot of team errors with flood giving pens away and throwing an intercept. Mavinga seems to be a revelation in attack which is good.

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 14:27
Embarrassing performance so far. Defence, passing and handling terrible. Luckily, Tigers have a poop defence so we have a chance still.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 14:29
We have three tries, one more to get least get a point from todayís game

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 14:32
Missed touch from Flood.....need to get him off asap

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 14:36
Shocking performance. Made it oh so easy for Leicester.

Flood has been an absolute embarrassment. Heís missed kick from the tee and in hand, gave away needless penalties and missed tackles. He has to come off at half time.

Xanderman (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 14:38
Leicester are pretty much scoring whenever they have possession and vice versa with us. Flood not finding touch has potentially resulted in a 14 point difference. I'd give him 10 more minutes and then bring on hodgson if the cricket score continues. C'mon falcons one more try for a league point atleast and we can assess later!

DB23 (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 14:45
Conceding a point per minute in the first half is unacceptable.

At least Iím not watching it, I feel for the travelling support spending money to view that.

If players arenít delivering then we do have a squad to use which Iím sure Richards will as he wonít accept that.

We just canít shake these performances where we just donít turn up.

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 14:59
Think i woyld have taken a bonus point from the game. We just need to try and score as many tries as possible.

We are obviously on the receiving end of a lot of pent up frustration from the Leicester players.

Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 15:11
Itís either two fantastic attacking teams or two woeful defences!

aidanb (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 15:16
This is like a game of 7ís
But with 15 a side

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 15:31
A Try Bonus Point - I would have taken a point before the game. Close for a second BP though
Sounds like Carley has forgotten his cards, persistent penalties from Tigers

Xanderman (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 15:48
I think Carley was 10x better than Ian Tempest last week. A defensive mare by both teams, there are some good things to take away and a lot to work on, a point is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 16:04
Taka had a try disallowed too i gather!

Wensleydale Falcon (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 16:17
On the whole Carley was fairly consistent in my opinion.

I believe that he bottled the Taka try by not giving a penalty try......as he sends a player to the bin for being on the wrong side a metre out...if he was onside Taka scores easily for me.

Home team advantage!!

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 17:11
Disappointed with that defense needs to improve. smiling smiley

aidanb (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 17:30
Quote:
Wensleydale Falcon
On the whole Carley was fairly consistent in my opinion.
I believe that he bottled the Taka try by not giving a penalty try......as he sends a player to the bin for being on the wrong side a metre out...if he was onside Taka scores easily for me.

Home team advantage!!

on TV you could clearly see a well known Falcons coach mouth something then bulls and manure

Wensleydale Falcon (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 18:06
That would have made it a six point game and then anything could have happened.
First 20 minutes cost us though, but we still had many opportunities to score in the 2nd half.

trummy200 (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 18:55
Thought it was a great game to watch - ref seemed to have a decent game - perhaps Toby gave too much at Kingston park last week. As above the first 20 min was a killer but Falcons at least came away with a point and could easily have been two. I think Newcastle caught the rebound from the trials and tribulations that Tigers have gone through this week

Stopsy (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 19:03
I havenít seen it yet but Radio Leicesterís one eyed pundits reckoned it was a try!

That said they also said there was clear obstruction when two Falcons cleared a path for the try scorer in a previously awarded try.

I couldnít believe the first 30 minutes and couldnít wait for full time in the second half. I thought you were going to do it again.

Have a great season

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 04:02
I honestly don't know what happened to us in that 1st half, it was pure carnage. We missed tackle after tackle and Tigers were just walking though us. If that wasn't bad enough, we missed touch, gave intercepts and made numerous unenforced handling errors.

On the plus....we fought back in the 2nd and the scrum held up really well again.

exhooker (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 06:22
If that's got the bad half a game out of our system then better now than later. I shall be watching the TV Worcester v Sale with great interest, reckoning that whatever happens we shall be 12th tonight. Onward and upwards!!

pa8 (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 06:41
Toby Flood had a bit of a mare and Matavesi and Hammersley were woeful in defence. That said, having conceded a point a minute in the opening half, to put ourselves in a position where we could have won it speaks volumes for the spirit of the side. Still canít understand why a penalty try wasnít awarded when their full back went to the bin. Their fans still canít understand why they let Goneva go. The shouts of ĎKeep it away from himí and groans whenever he got the ball said a lot.

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 14:32
Not a great 1st half from Worcester at Sale, this is a big game for us early in the season (a place where we normally struggle).

pityacker (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 14:45
A Sale win and depending on points difference we could be bottom tonight sadly.

upwardonward (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 15:19
Just some IMO's.
An intercepted throw, cost 7 points.That happens.
A penalty kick to touch 3 mins to half time missed and they then go up to score 7 points.Hmm
Missed penalty kick for for goal in first half as well cost 3 points.Hmm.Wow they all add up at this level.Toby really does need to up his game v Worcs.
I have to say first half was just a combination of mistakes made by players,and Leics at their best,fired up by the crowd and thier loss of DOR.
Second half we looked like the team we know we are.Phases, making yards, clinical at the set piece, getting the ball through hands to Sinotti and Goneva.

Please start Taity,he brings so much more power to the running and tacking than Hammersley and is one of the best under the high ball we have.

Also IMO I do prefer a Welch,Graham and Wilson back line, using Chick from the bench.GG really needs some game time and we need his starting power IMO.

Really think the guys will be up for it at Worcs.We need to start strong and stay strong.
Wont be easy but we should be like trapped Wasps after the last 2 weeks and I really think we can do this.
Johhny Williams for Harris I would also consider.
COYF.

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 15:25
Agree on Chick, he's not adding that much apart from missed tackles. Graham looked like he had dildos for fingers when he came on but is a class act when in form. Wilson was again, excellent, but Welch quiet I thought

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2018 15:26 by Pool_falcon.

Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 18:26
Even tho we are only two games in the significance of needing a win at Worcester is important. How long are the likes of Welsh and cooper gonna be out for we need them back ASAP

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 18:44
We do need depth back.

McGuigan and Mulipola look good additions so far. I think our biggest miss is Robinson at lock. Not because heís necessarily better than either Green or Witty and would start but to have one of them on the bench. Cavubati looked suspect to say the least when he came on.

Would be good to have some idea of what is going on. For example Lockwood was announced n bench against Doncaster. I know we wonít though for reasons made clear by Deano before and I respect him for that.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
10 September, 2018 06:11
I am not concerned at all, the team actually performed pretty well in both games & it is a long old season. The league table is meaningless until well into the season.

Sarries will ship 50+ points past some teams this season, we actually confronted them very well. I don't think any team would have stopped the mental rampage by Tiggers for the first 15 minutes on Saturday. After that we did well, especially considering the 20+ points deficit to be made up.

Psychologically we need a win at Wuss, but then Wuss are in the same boat, so it should be a tough old game.

10 September, 2018 07:35
I think we just looked very rusty v Edinburgh in the friendly and have continued that on in the last 2 games...but we'll find our feet again.

Fix the defence first and foremost...then the rest will come together.

Agree above...can Tait please start at FB. He's a rock solid premiership FB which would be better at the moment.

My one big concern is Mr Flood. He really isn't on form at the moment and he needs to find it quick as he's dropping a few clangers.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
10 September, 2018 08:44
I thought Flood was good against Saracens?

10 September, 2018 09:19
I don't think he was great Steve, I felt he lacked a bit of imagination in attack that I would expect from a 70 cap former England international.

mannin (IP Logged)
10 September, 2018 10:18
Quote:
steve1888
I thought Flood was good against Saracens?

Agreed

pityacker (IP Logged)
10 September, 2018 10:41
I think that if Johnny Williams is fit he may be brought into the midfield as he looked good in attack and great in defence and could offer different options.

10 September, 2018 11:16
I agree with that Pit, he looked very sharp the glimpses we have seen of him...able to break the lines...

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
10 September, 2018 17:07
Williams certainly won't miss any tackles if pre season is anything to go by. Massive in defence

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net