rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 28 September v Wasps at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Saturday 6 October v Sale Sharks at AJ Bell Stadium, 3.00pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 17-24 Exeter Chiefs

Worcester v Falcons teams
aidanb (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 11:53
Williams in for Worcester trip

Re: Worcester v Falcons teams
Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 12:00
Not that great of a team. Think Worcester have to be favourites

The Umpa Lumpa (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 12:03
FT, what makes you say that? I donít think thatís a bad side at all. Only 2 changes to the starting lineup.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 12:05
Quote:
Falcons_Thunder
Is that supposed to be a joke? Quite inspiring comments? Or you're purposely attempting to be divisive?
Other than Goneva out and Williams in this is the same team we've had since start of the season. And to me looks plenty good enough.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 12:07
Williams is a strong addition to this season's squad and I hope he has a successful debut.

I'm sure our boys will be totally fired up after the first two toughies against a fully fit and rested Saracens swiftly followed by a bunch of wounded Tigers.

Good luck to the boys. come on you Falcons.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 12:19
I'm sure the Worcester supporters will be saying the same,but I think we go there and get the points. Simples.. The pressure is greater if you're the home team and haven't won yet.
We need to unleash this boy called Radwan! Sinoti, although upstaged by Goneva since the latter joined, looked good coming inside with the ball against Leicester. Our scrum is solid for a change, and our line out isn't bad.
I think it might be a long day for Worcester personally and a bridge too far. You heard it here first!

Worcester Way (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 12:25
I love reading other fan boards as it makes me feel slightly more sane about our own!

I think it'll be a close game on Saturday and will be an intriguing watch. From a Worcester perspective I am delighted to not see Gonoeva in the line up but you have quality throughout your squad so i'm sure his replacement will be excellent.

Good luck, and here's to a fair contest!

lizard118 (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 12:29
Quote:
Worcester Way
I love reading other fan boards as it makes me feel slightly more sane about our own!
I think it'll be a close game on Saturday and will be an intriguing watch. From a Worcester perspective I am delighted to not see Gonoeva in the line up but you have quality throughout your squad so i'm sure his replacement will be excellent.

Good luck, and here's to a fair contest!
Cheers Worcester Way, it's all fun and games, until the game starts.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 12:33
No Goneva? He is human after all

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 12:49
Yes But Adam Radwan replaces...and whilst hes not the physical beast that Goneva is...he is sheer scintillating pace and jiggerypoo. a totally different threat. And hes not weak despite his slight frame!

Johnny Williams could make a HUGE difference to that midfield.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/09/2018 12:49 by GeordieFalcon.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 12:55
Defintely an intruiging game with both having two two games following these (not that there's any easy games) neither will want to be at the bottom for very long , whilst easily turned round it will impact mentally.

Good to see Radwan back in and hope Goneva is just rotation.

14 September, 2018 13:08
Quote:
lizard118
Quote:
Falcons_Thunder
Is that supposed to be a joke? Quite inspiring comments? Or you're purposely attempting to be divisive?
Other than Goneva out and Williams in this is the same team we've had since start of the season. And to me looks plenty good enough.

Itís called an opinion. Worcester are at home with a decent team behind them. And we also donít have that great of a record at sixways.

eastfalcon (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 13:13
After the disastrous start last Saturday the team will want to come out firing on all cylinders. I think that it will be a close game but we will just edge it! smiling smiley

Onwards and Upwards!

WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 13:16
Quote:
lizard118
I'm sure the Worcester supporters will be saying the same,but I think we go there and get the points. Simples.. The pressure is greater if you're the home team and haven't won yet.
We need to unleash this boy called Radwan! Sinoti, although upstaged by Goneva since the latter joined, looked good coming inside with the ball against Leicester. Our scrum is solid for a change, and our line out isn't bad.
I think it might be a long day for Worcester personally and a bridge too far. You heard it here first!

Surely there is more pressure on the team that finished 4th last season to not go on a winless run of three games straight away in a new season and beat the clear favourites for relegation?

lizard118 (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 13:22
Quote:
WorcesterSauce
Quote:
lizard118

Surely there is more pressure on the team that finished 4th last season to not go on a winless run of three games straight away in a new season and beat the clear
favourites for relegation?
Last season was last season. Everyone starts on zero points. Clean slate.
Home games always have a tendency of putting the home support on the hump and this is then transferred to the players when things are not going well.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 13:29
Quote:
Falcons_Thunder
Quote:
lizard118
Quote:
Falcons_Thunder

Itís called an opinion. Worcester are at home with a decent team behind them. And we also donít have that great of a record at sixways.

We didn't have a good record at Leicester but we won there last season after however many years. Without any disrespect intended on Worcester I imagine our players will be looking to pick up points there.

And I think our squad even without Goneva and Matavesi, our only omissions this season, can get the points required.
What I had a problem with your earlier post in particular was the lack of substance, from a so called Falcons fan.Apologies in advance.

Rogerandout (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 14:04
I am concerned about the lack of depth/quality in the front row. In fact the forwards depth overall when one considers the imports for A Team games. Presumably the injuries situation must be chronic.
The excitement for Radwans feet and pace seems to ignore his positional and team play. I prefer Kibirige on that front.
I also prefer Graham over Chick. Minor issues I guess as opinions always differ.
I do however think that it is almost certain that any team which finishes below Worcester will be playing Championship Rugby next year. This is one of the most important fixtures of the year.

Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 15:13
Fot those coming to the game tomorrow, here is some info about what's on at the ground, [warriors.co.uk]

One tip not in the link - if you are in the East Stand bring a cap and/or sunglasses. The forecast for tomorrow is not too bad and if the sun does make an appearance will be shining down into the faces of those in the East Stand.

Safe journey.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 15:51
Thanks for the tips as I will be going with her family . Tomorrow should be a good match and hopefully a high scoring .
In terms of pressure on us, we have spent long enough in the relegation battles over the years not to get carried away with last season. Our start to the season is pretty brutal with matches against Leicester , Saracens , Wasps and Exeter , all of whom can expect or hope to be top 4 at the end of the season. With the greatest of respect to Worcester , and their great fans, they arenít at the same level as those teams and we should walk away with all least 4 points. That said home advantage and the referee may well play their part so will see

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 18:04
Different pressure I think Wuss.

This is closest the AP has been for years with no clear relegation candidate imo. Take away Exeter and Sarries and I think 3-12 is quite open.

It would be great to get the win but I'm not overly worrying if we don't.

I'd prefer Graham to Chick, I think the latter has struggled.

Warrior7 (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 19:21
Your back 5 in the pack looks very strong as always, beats us out on size quite comfortably and certainly are better in the lineout - Taufete'e starting is a bit of a risk as he's a very good carrier but weaker in the lineout.
Interested to know if you guys see Williams as an improvement or not as good as Matavesi? Our centres have struggled so far in attack but have been very good defensively.

Should hopefully be a much better game than against Sale last week and safe travels to anyone coming to Sixways. Hopefully it will be close as you guys are a great bunch but obviously hoping for a Wuss win!

Osric (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 07:19
Really pleased to see Williams and Radwan in. Williams looked very strong in defence against Edinburgh and we all know what Radwan can do. Let's hope for a win.

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 07:40
I definitely wouldnít say we are favourites against Worcester. Itíll be a very tight game and we never seem to do well at Sixways. Iíd be delighted with a win however it may come!

steve1888 (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 08:34
Bookies have Worcester as favourites.

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 11:06
I think we have to go down there looking for 5 points.

Full respect to Worcester but if we are playing in champions cup and have ambitions of top 6 we need to do it. They are a tough side so we'll have to be really good.

We need a performance.

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 14:59
Cracking start after Wuss pressure. Mavinga' s carry was a thing of beauty! Scrum well on top....restarts need to be better but Wuss defence looks poor. Can see a few tries in this one.

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 15:09
Wuss playing some nice stuff but the final pass is missing. Radwan getting stepped too easily but big hit shoukd give him some confidence

Oneforthefatboys (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 15:19
I just lost the link on paddy power and itís now disappeared

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 15:26
I have almost no internet today so can't get the commentary, not on BT Sport either. If anybody has any idea of the score it would be appreciated thanks.

15 September, 2018 15:29
3-14 Mcguigan in the bin

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 15:33
Backs to the wall stuff monkey at the end of the half. Scrum starting to struggle but our defence has held out

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 15:34
Williams to the bin now too....stupid deliberate knock on

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 15:36
10-14

Brainless from Williams.

15 September, 2018 15:40
Some break by Mavinga for the try

15 September, 2018 15:42
Playing with 13 men when the 2nd half begins... (Sm122)

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 16:04
Ta for the news. Didn't think this one would be as easy as some assumed. Could be a rough second half.

BedfordFalcon (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 16:05
17 all. Not good

steve1888 (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 16:18
17-20 16mins to play

steve1888 (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 16:25
20-20 10 to play

15 September, 2018 16:29
Mavinga is a different player to last season.Looks some player...

Sadly Toby Flood is not looking like a former England international.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 16:30
20-23 now 5 left

15 September, 2018 16:33
Bar his yellow card Mcguigan has been excellent again. I questioned his re-signing but thats been fully shoved down my throat.Looks another level to the player that left...

steve1888 (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 16:37
Phew won 20-23, Worcester had a pen at the end and they opted to go for corner and the win rather than level. Poor kick do only on the 22 then they knocked on.

Well done lads!

telfs123 (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 16:40
We donít often win at Worcester so we can celebrate that. Could have been a different game if we kicked on from the start though!
But from Saracens (h), Leicester (a), Wuss (a) last year we got 4 points. This year we have 5. So Iím happy!

Apart from the first 15min that was dreadful. But a wins a win and off the bottom of the table

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
Was always going to be tough but we needed that.

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
Phew!!!! I'll take that.

Mavinga was fantastic, where's he come from??? Not a vintage performance but some promising signs. Williams looks a real threat and Radwan grew into the game. Flood looks a bit off the boil and slow to react, but he really puts his body on the line.

15 September, 2018 16:44
A must win game and we did it

Never say die attitude. Mavinga and Mcguigan were very noticeable

Flood also...but for the opposite reason. He needs to sort himself out.

CharlieDog (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 16:47
What? Golden Balls not performing..... Well there's a surprise......

15 September, 2018 16:52
I donít care how we got it. Delighted we got the win. We showed a lot of character to get a win having played with 13 men at one stage of the game.

Wasnít able to watch the game so canít comment about Flood but at least he had a decent kicking day from the tee.

Iíve heard a lot about Mavingaís line break so looking forward to seeing that!

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 17:08
Excellent stuff not that often we win down there. smiling smiley

15 September, 2018 17:12
Quote:
CharlieDog

Yet he kicked 13 points and 100% off the tee.

15 September, 2018 17:17
Quote:
Falcons_Thunder
Quote:
CharlieDog

Yet he kicked 13 points and 100% off the tee.

And an assist for Sinoti...

15 September, 2018 17:37
well if you had offered most of us 6 point from our first 3 games we would have taken them. so 5 is about par as i see it. its going to be a long hard slog of a season so im happy to build slowly. (Sm128)

15 September, 2018 17:40
Also puts a little less pressure on us against Exeter and Wasps. Letís hope we start getting some players back too.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 17:43
I thought Flood did well? Some decent kicking, goal kicking spot on, brought Williams in a couple of times and others. Yeah he's not Farrell or Cipriani but he is in the side on merit IMO.

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 18:01
I just thought Floody looked a bit rusty, not poor. Kicks to touch weren't great distance wise and he was a bit laboured when we attacked. It'll come for the lad.

Big credit to the lads holding out with 13 men.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 18:24
Sixways hasn't been a happy hunting ground for us so well done to all the boys for getting our first Win down there today.

i think we've got our best squad for years and we a a really tough team to beat as Sarries and Tigers found out. I'm really looking forward to the rest of the season. A couple of seasons ago we were often nearly winners, we have changed that to now we are very hard to beat.

We're on our way and I guarantee the Chiefs won't be looking forward to their long trip up here next Friday night!

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 18:43
Having missed the game in its entirety I am looking forward to tonightís highlights
Good to hear Mavinga played well again. Heís held his own thus far this season

w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 19:16
Congratulations Falcons but we rather f****d that up!

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

markismith50 (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 19:26
Sami Mavís line break [sport.bt.com]

15 September, 2018 20:48
Watching the match highlights, did anyone notice the booing during Floodís winning penalty kick?

markismith50 (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 21:13
Highlights ‪[sport.bt.com];

Oneforthefatboys (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 21:44
A win is a win. Worcester are not as bad as everyone thinks and they ve got some very good players. I d still like to see Gary Graham ahead of chick. We missed Goneva and mataveis today.

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 22:21
Away at sixways is a tough assignment, particularly in the early season. They had some key men back, like hougaard.

So pleased sami is performing, he is obviously a very likeable character. How did radwan do?

Williams, radwan and chick are getting higj quality game experience and i always think bringing on Graham Is a nightmare for the opposition. He must be horribke to play against.

Looking forward to welsh , cooper and young back just because our match squad, in that case, is as good as any in the division...and i really mean that!

Mcguigs has been a revelation!

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 06:13
Radwan was ok. He got stepped a few times early on and he needs to work on his defence a bit. He made a big hit later in the game and went on a marauding run and then tripped over as he was going so fast! He's a work in progress and will only improve.

Chick isn't quite cutting the mustard imo. 8 is a real specialist position and he doesn't quite have the carrying or the nous to pull this off yet. I think we'd be better off easing him in off the bench at no6.

Williams had some nice moments and a cracking line break where he nearly went over but for a last ditch tackle. He got a yellow for a deliberate knock on where he should have just made the tackle. I really like the look of the lad though and would like to see him given a shot alongside Mats at 12.

Mavinga had another very good game. Set piece was solid (despite have the skinniest legs I've ever seen on a prop) and his line breaks and turnovers were fantastic.

Good to get a win on the board after such a tough start.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 07:26
Good win at a ground we tend to struggle at, we're off the mark!

Quite amazing break that by Mavinga - I saw him 'chase' a kick once last season and even by our kick-chase standards he was very slow, so not sure where that pace has come from!

aidanb (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 07:50
I missed all of the game in any format yesterday as I was at the beck and call of the boss.

However, it is good to see the lads getting us off the bottom and getting a Reward for their early season efforts.

I look at this team with a glass half full and just try to enjoy all they give us. Noah really does give his all for the team and itís great to see.

Thanks Smithy for the links to the game.

That Mavinga break was pure power and pace and itís why the three Worcester forwards couldnít get a tackle in on him. Brilliant offload as well.

16 September, 2018 08:48
To be fair the first Ďtackleí from their prop in Mavinga reminded me of our defending last Saturday.

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 09:24
Yeah it was u15 c team stuff wasn't it?!?!

I thought williams was clearly making an attempt to intercept and it was harsh.

Sami obviously wasn't fit but now is...hence his renaissance!

Leipziger (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 10:12
Quote:
aidanb
I missed all of the game in any format yesterday as I was at the beck and call of the boss.

Me too, but it was almost worth it (almost) for this gem my gaffer gave us: "The problem with the youth of today is, they can't turn up drunk, or even just hungover, and do a decent day's work!" Insert slang and profanities liberally.

Horus (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 11:26
To put the win in perspective, in Round 1(sept1) Wusss20: Wasps21.

w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 13:21
Quote:
NorfolkFalcon
Watching the match highlights, did anyone notice the booing during Floodís winning penalty kick?
And the "Falcons,falcons" chanting when we were taking a conversion/penalty.Goes both ways.
Like I said we f*****d it up for ourselves.2 poor teams,we were just poorer than you.

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

16 September, 2018 13:43
Wasnít really a groan at you. Other Falcons on here will understand.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 13:44
Is there a reason to worry about Logo? Subbed early yesterday and highlights didnít show any reason for it

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 13:49
Sorry to hear that!

I wouldn't say you are a poor team at all, particularly at sixways.

We have become an excellent team in certain ways. I reckon we have more "dog" than any other in the prem, for example. You are a good side but we have done what we did yesterday to lots of good sides over the last 1 and a half seasons. Its not a fluke, as i say, its "dog" and staying in the fight. Its part of being a good side.

Quote:
w4rriorz1980
Quote:
NorfolkFalcon
And the "Falcons,falcons" chanting when we were taking a conversion/penalty.Goes both ways.
Like I said we f*****d it up for ourselves.2 poor teams,we were just poorer than you.

CharlieDog (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 16:47
Quote:
NorfolkFalcon

Our friend, Sixways Cheryl........?

16 September, 2018 18:00
Quote:
CharlieDog
Quote:
NorfolkFalcon

Our friend, Sixways Cheryl........?

Indeed. Remember Falcons allegedly the only side to make noise during kicks from the tee...

falconbear (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 18:19
Quote:
markismith50

Credit to Mavinga yes, but look at Takaluas forward movement as the ball is being passed backwards down the line. With other falcon players retreating backwards to avoid the offside. Great vision and confidence

16 September, 2018 21:01
It's amazing how many times Worcester lose but are never beaten.

Falconski (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 09:53
Quote:
markismith50
Its a thing of beauty that lol, a bit like Jon Welsh last year.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 10:15
With Welsh and Sami Mav on board, I reckon the Falcons can provide half the Premiership team for the 4 x 100 metre Prop Relay at the next Rugby Olympics

aidanb (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 10:29
Quote:
Falconski
Quote:
markismith50
Its a thing of beauty that lol, a bit like Jon Welsh last year.

just without the chip to the fullback

mannin (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 10:36
Whilst I agree Mavinga didn't show much last year, he wasn't given much opportunity. Whether due to injury or other factors, he's currently fist choice. That breeds confidence.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 11:34
How can a man of that size possibly move so fast! He must work hard in training to be able to do that, I take off several hats to all those involved.

17 September, 2018 11:39
Someone alluded that maybe Mavinga wasn't actually fit. Ive heard before that fitness levels in the French leagues aren't very good compared to others.

Maybe Dean's seen the potential and they've worked very hard on his fitness / conditioning over the last season and pre season...and we are seeing the results..

pityacker (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 12:37
Quote:
GeordieFalcon
Someone alluded that maybe Mavinga wasn't actually fit. Ive heard before that fitness levels in the French leagues aren't very good compared to others.
Maybe Dean's seen the potential and they've worked very hard on his fitness / conditioning over the last season and pr
e season...and we are seeing the results..

Did Sami Mavinga not have a full pre season last year ? Can't see a fitness issue after being put through the pre season schedule, he was given very little game time at all to get match hardened and I half expected him to be released at the end of last season but he truly has reinvented himself and long may it continue , well done Sami.

17 September, 2018 12:59
Who knows Pit, however something has happened. Because he certainly seems to be impressing...

aidanb (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 14:42
I love his first answer
We don't look at officials we look at ourselves

[sport.bt.com]

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 14:54
Quote:
Monkey1
How can a man of that size possibly move so fast! He must work hard in training to be able to do that, I take off several hats to all those involved.

Well he does have chicken legs, they must aid in someway.

WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
17 September, 2018 19:57
That is some shocking tackling from us

aidanb (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 10:14
Quote:
WorcesterSauce
That is some shocking tackling from us

I has said this early in defence of the tacklers because he just put the power down and done them for pace rather than a poor tackle - they just couldn't get to him

Quote:
aidanb
.... That Mavinga break was pure power and pace and itís why the three Worcester forwards couldnít get a tackle in on him. Brilliant offload as well.

but on reflection it may have been a forward pass

Osric (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 20:27
It's great that Sami is impressing. He looked much less mobile less year, so good news. Is Sam L injured?

markismith50 (IP Logged)
18 September, 2018 21:02
Yes, Sam has a hand injury

sparkyweb (IP Logged)
19 September, 2018 13:59
Having been working all weekend and relying on the twitter updates for the score, I have finally got a chance to watch the highlights.

This is the sort of game a few seasons ago that we would have lost, to take the win I thought it was very positive. However I think there is a lot of room for improvement especially in regards to the tackling. There were a lot of missed / shrugged off tackles which need to be looked at, additionally we need to keep building on those great starts we have got in a few games in the last season. This sort of thing can close off games.
I thought that Williams was slightly unlucky and another inch or two closer and that would have gone to hand and he would have probably been up the other end. Shows how fine the margin of interception is. Would have been very interesting if Niki had been on the pitch and out of position......

I do think that without the two yellow cards (I'm not talking about the penalty try here) it would have been a different score, I think we may have been able to challenge more.

I also though Worcs played with great heart and ambition. Shows hoe tight the premiership is going to be this year.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net