rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Sunday 21 October v Montpellier at Kingston Park, 1.00pm

Sunday 28 October v Exeter Chiefs at Kingston Park, 3.00pm (Cup)

Last result: Toulon 25-26 Newcastle Falcons (!!!)

Falcons v Wasps team news Fri 28 Sep
dick g (IP Logged)
04 October, 2018 15:22
Just caught highlights. Thought we looked pretty good. SS outstanding. Things seem OK.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2018 15:52 by aidanb.

Falcons v Wasps team news Fri 28 Sep
aidanb (IP Logged)
27 September, 2018 11:30
Goneva back

check it out

Re: Falcons v Wasps team news Fri 28 Sep
Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
27 September, 2018 11:33
In case your link isn't working:
Newcastle Falcons team to face Wasps (Friday, 7.45pm, Kingston Park Stadium)

15 Simon Hammersley

14 Vereniki Goneva

13 Chris Harris

12 Johnny Williams

11 Sinoti Sinoti

10 Toby Flood

9 Sonatane Takulua

1 Adam Brocklebank

2 George McGuigan

3 Logovi'i Mulipola

4 Calum Green

5 Tevita Cavubati

6 Gary Graham

7 Will Welch (captain)

8 Mark Wilson

Replacements

16 Santiago Socino

17 Sami Mavinga

18 Paul Mullen

19 Will Witty

20 Callum Chick

21 Sam Stuart

22 Joel Hodgson

23 Tom Penny

27 September, 2018 11:34
Should be a cracking game, glad Goneva & Sinotti are back

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
27 September, 2018 11:50
Thatís an incredibly strong team. Wasps may have the superstars but I think they must see them as second favourites for Friday night. Would be a real statement of intent to get 4 or 5 points.

aidanb (IP Logged)
27 September, 2018 12:00
Wasps team to face Newcastle Falcons at Kingston Park on Friday September 28 (7:45pm kick off)

15 Rob Miller

14 Marcus Watson

13 Juan De Jongh

12 Michael Le Bourgeois

11 Josh Bassett

10 Lima Sopoaga

9 Joe Simpson

1 Zurabi Zhvania

2 Tom Cruse

3 Will Stuart

4 Will Rowlands

5 James Gaskell

6 Ashley Johnson (c)

7 Ben Morris

8 Nizaam Carr

Replacements

16 Tommy Taylor

17 Ben Harris

18 Kieran Brookes

19 Kearnan Myall

20 Nathan Hughes

21 Dan Robson

22 Billy Searle

23 Elliot Daly

rqb (IP Logged)
27 September, 2018 12:20
Phew that is a seriously tasty backline we're putting out there! Can't wait to see how that line-up gets on.

Interestingly a fair few changes from Wasps, with a few ex-Falcons in there. Anyone remember Ben Morris? Academy graduate deemed surplus to requirements by Dean a few years ago. With their bench they will be finishing strongly in the last 20 minutes, will be hoping for a decent lead before then!

steve1888 (IP Logged)
27 September, 2018 12:23
5 former Falcons coming back, two good line ups makes for another cracking night of rugby.

Shame for Arscott and Kibrigie though who were great last week.

DB23 (IP Logged)
27 September, 2018 12:26
...and the players not in the 23 for tomorrow night;

Jon Welsh
Kyle Cooper
David Wilson
Sean Robinson
Glen Young
Nemani Nagusa
Connor Collett
Ryan Burrows
Michael Young
Brett Connon
Zach Kibirige
Josh Matavesi
Alex Tait
Adam Radwan
Tom Arscott

We have real strength in depth, not to mention some fine academy players coming through.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
27 September, 2018 12:35
Both very good lineups, I think this could be a close game. smiling smiley

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
27 September, 2018 12:35
Both very strong teams with good replacements
This has all the makings of a cracker

falconbear (IP Logged)
27 September, 2018 13:10
Quote:
Falc Dancer
Both very strong teams with good replacements
This has all the makings of a cracker

Agreed. Lots of Wasps missing for various reasons but they have a far stronger bench than ours. A strong start required in front of a raucous Friday night south stand!

RossM (IP Logged)
27 September, 2018 13:38
Any of our boys who were in the England camp earlier in the week are on the bench only.

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
27 September, 2018 15:39
Not the strongest Wasps line up, we stand a real chance if the defence stays tight and we finish our chances.

Keep an eye on Zhvania, this boy can scrummage.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
27 September, 2018 15:54
Strong lineup and good enough to win the game. Happy not to see Willie Le Roux and Christian Wade in that Wasps 23.I'd really like to see Cavubati have a good game as I haven't yet seen why we bought him.

eastfalcon (IP Logged)
27 September, 2018 15:54
Will also be interesting to see Karl Dickson in the middle - has he refereed us before?

Onwards and Upwards!

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
27 September, 2018 15:58
Quote:
eastfalcon
Will also be interesting to see Karl Dickson in the middle - has he refereed us before?

He refereed us at some stage last season. May have been Sarries away?

Happy with the side and glad we are finally seeing some players returning.

alas (IP Logged)
27 September, 2018 16:51
Wasps are still dangerous, but have about twice as many first-choice players missing as the Falcons.

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
27 September, 2018 17:06
I think we should get 5.

Looking at those teams we are better on paper i woud say. I wouldn't swap a man and collectively we are so together. That's a measure of how far we've come.

LET'S TAKE 5 POINTS BOYS.

28 September, 2018 07:45
NIce to see Marcus Watson getting some game time, although I do hope he doesn't score the match winner against us.

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
28 September, 2018 09:51
Quote:
RossM
Any of our boys who were in the England camp earlier in the week are on the bench only.

I notice there are several rumours flying around that the Wasps England players came back from the England camp saying they came back too tired to train

Mark Wilson, has also said how tough England training is and if it was replicated throughout the season at clubs, players would break pretty quickly (Times interview)

Im really not sure what Eddie Jones is trying to do with this idiotic style of training.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
28 September, 2018 10:14
Just to clarify, Markís point was that England training needs to be at high intensity because they donít get as much time together as club teams. He wasnít saying itís TOO intense. And by all accounts the Bristol camp was reasonably low key on that front.

28 September, 2018 10:37
Thanks for clarifying that Mark.

RossM (IP Logged)
28 September, 2018 10:44
Quote:
GeordieFalcon
Quote:
RossM

I notice there are several rumours flying around that the Wasps England players came back from the England camp saying they came back too tired to train

Mark Wilson, has also said how tough England training is and if it was replicated throughout the season at clubs, players would break pretty quickly (Times interview)

Im really not sure what Eddie Jones is trying to do with this idiotic style of training.
Our boys wouldn't have got any time off, as we were in Sale last Saturday. The England camp was in Bristol from Sunday through Tuesday. Dai's decision to put them on the bench for this evening's game is, I think, a sensible one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/09/2018 10:46 by RossM.

RossM (IP Logged)
28 September, 2018 10:54
GF: Have you been reading The Coventry Telegraph? smiling smiley

Bobby Bridge in the Cov Telegraph yesterday:

'You've Got To Look After Players'

Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
28 September, 2018 18:03
Looking at the two teams we are never going to get a better chance of not only a win but a very good win. Hereís hoping anyway!

28 September, 2018 20:23
Should be well ahead at half time but only two po8bts in it.

There's been some breathtakingy Rugby ...led by Hammersley and Sinoti.

But that wasps bench could decide this game now

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
28 September, 2018 21:22
We should never of lost that match
TMO has a great game again

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
28 September, 2018 21:23
I dare not comment on the officials tonight...

Leipziger (IP Logged)
28 September, 2018 21:25
Aargh! Only got home at 81 minutes but a very tense finish, very annoying to lose by one point. Can't believe the referee didn't give a penalty or at least advantage for Wasps flying over the top, he clearly saw it as he told the player to get back, it was in a very kickable position.

Benpj17 (IP Logged)
28 September, 2018 21:29
Thought the officials had a decent game we can count ourself very lucky the first Williams try was given as no clear ground was visible, our decisions to go for the line out instead of points is what cost us and stupid individual errors

telfs123 (IP Logged)
28 September, 2018 21:32
Speechless. Both for how we threw it away. But most of all for Karl Dickson in the last plays. He decided he wasn't penalizing Wasps.
5 penalties
-Robson dived over
-Hughes offside (Dickson said "he didn't influence the pass, despite running right at Flood)
-Wasps player in at side
-Robson rolled into Takalua
-Another wasps player lay on wrong side of ruck, no effort to roll.

It was either Falcons score a try or Dickson waits until Wasps won the game.

On the other hand, manage that game correctly, and we have a 5 point win.

Running Rugby (IP Logged)
28 September, 2018 21:36
Regardless of any decision that should or shouldn't have been made at the end of the game regarding the Hughes offside, the falcons should never have been in that position. They made way too many basic errors and were not at all clinical in the final third. Errors that should not be made at this level if the falcons want to be a top side.

I would even go as far as to say that they threw the game away. May sound a bit harsh but wasps were there for the taking, and we were simply not up to the task when it came to the big moments in the game.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
28 September, 2018 21:45
Let's not be harsh on the team. I think we're just lacking a bit of control, the little things. The team are playing good rugby and we're creating chances. We just need to be more clinical as above. Sale is now a must win game, and I think we can win there. Keep the faith. That's what makes a Falcon fan.

rqb (IP Logged)
28 September, 2018 21:55
We really did throw the game away there, you are very much correct. Dickson could have maybe given a penalty for Robson diving off his feet at the ruck but we should never have been in that position at the end of the game.

There was no way it should have been 15-13 at half time, with many basic errors being made deep in their 22. Even more infuriating was our inability to exit from restarts, with all of their points in the first half resulting from restarts we dealt poorly with.

Brocklebank's great break should have been finished off which would have given us the try bonus point as well as extended our lead to the realms of the unassailable

Penny did look a powerful runner when we came on however, though we did miss Hammersley when he went off injured. Of course he is a threat with ball in hand but he is also very adept at releasing Sinoti, and I don't think it's a coincidence that his influence diminished after Hammersley's departure.

Cavubati made some lively carries though these were coupled with a few disappointing errors that curtailed momentum in the first half. Much prefer the Green/Witty combination and await Robinson's return with eagerness.

Flood as ever controlled our attacking shape well and defended with bravery, I really think we would be lost without him at the helm and do not agree with criticism of him

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
28 September, 2018 22:07
Wow, surprised at the comments here. As a neutral (probably wanting Falcons to win, truth be told) I thought the officials were pretty good on the whole. They're never going to get everything right but by and large did and were fairly consistent. Falcons were also flying off their feet a few times at the end so were lucky not to get penalised too.

Obvious talking point for me was the choice to not take the easy points on offer when you were two in front, instead to the corner and turned over. Also slow taking conversion from chalked off try which would have meant it stood. Very small margins in this game, you need to do everything you can when you get the chance.

What was with so many fans streaming out well before full time too? I don't think you have much to worry about this season, I think most other nights this match would have gone in your favour and lots to be pleased about. That 1 of yours looks special, set piece was very good as was attack. Good luck for rest of season, except against Bris of course. winking smiley

lizard118 (IP Logged)
28 September, 2018 22:08
Agree Rqb. We can't beat ourselves up too much. Personally I like the combination of Green and Robinson. For a big lad I just feel Witty could be more destructive. The brute of Green and the all action style of Robinson gives us better balance, imo.

28 September, 2018 22:19
Well I said at half time we'd rue some chances..you could read it a mile off.

However...

In hindsight its easy to say take the points from the penalites...but we all cheered the bravery of going for the lineout and trying to get tries.

The one positive is that in the last 3/4 games we've visibly got better and when we're annoyed that we didnt beat Exeter and Wasps, then things are going in the right direction. We played some top class stuff at times tonight.

We have to beat sale and i think we will. Just make sure we are a bit more clincial / efficient.

Whats happened to Hammersley..? He's suddenly found his ice skates again and is gliding past plahyers for fun.

And Sinotti...wow what a freak of a player he is! No other in the world i would say. Falcons fans are lucky we've had the privelage of watching him over the last few years!

dksniper (IP Logged)
28 September, 2018 23:01
Agree about people leaving early. I was in front of west stand near north corner didnt see a bit of last 5 mins or the "extra" time when a mini crowd decided they werent leaving and just stood in walkway , infuriating!!
Enjoyed the game though amd agree we should have won. Better than last 2 games though.
Need closer support when players make clean breaks.
Onwards and upwards.

Wensleydale Falcon (IP Logged)
28 September, 2018 23:24
As previously mentioned everything is easy with hindsight.
If we had gone over with one of our kicks to the corner and won the game with a TBP there would be little criticism of making that decision.
Itís a tough one to take as I feel we really lost that game rather than Wasps winning it.
We played some very good rugby at times and I actually think we look a better team than we did last season.
Wasps got away with everything in those closing minutes and played well beyond the edge of the laws.....a more experienced referee would have stepped up to the plate and made the big call and we would have probably kicked a penalty to win the game.......that said we only have ourselves to blame for missed opportunities and I know the guys will be hurting after that tonight.
Thereís a lot of rugby to play and Iím sure will be fine come May.

Osric (IP Logged)
29 September, 2018 06:25
We will be absolutely fine which, given the players we lost, is good news. Lots of promising home grown talent.

Hallowed Warrior (IP Logged)
29 September, 2018 07:05
I thought you guys were incredibly unlucky not to win. Funny how Wasps have had Karl Dickson referee their close wins at Sixways and Kingston Park - both with the home team not getting key decisions go their way.

Andy Mac (IP Logged)
29 September, 2018 07:32
Last season we were closing out these games by fine margins, this season we seem to be just falling short despite playing well.

Could well be the difference between 4th last season and 8th this season. Such a tight league.

Patgadd (IP Logged)
29 September, 2018 07:43
Quote:
Hallowed Warrior
I thought you guys were incredibly unlucky not to win. Funny how Wasps have had Karl Dickson referee their close wins at Sixways and Kingston Park - both with the home team not getting key decisions go their way.

Hear, hear from another Wuss supporter. Says it all.

Kingston Parker (IP Logged)
29 September, 2018 08:25
I thought that the rules have changed on conversions now, as was shown after the Wasps ďtryĒ that was disallowed on review after the conversion had been taken. Flood clearly didnít know as drop kicked conversion after first try as Johnson went to ref asking for review of forward pass. That cost us 2 points and an early lead.

zackary71 (IP Logged)
29 September, 2018 08:54
I think last night summed up how far we've progressed in the last few seasons, as well as highlighting the gap that exists between us and the top teams. Some of the line breaks were sublime, the running lines were inventive, the jackaling superb, the support runs delightful, the offloading in the tackle breathtaking etc etc. But for all this, the game swung for me on a key moment with Penny's disallowed Try in the corner. When the ball was spun wide, we had a clear 4 on 2, and to fail to execute the play with a Try at this level is not good enough. Had we got the Try, we'd have had some breathing space. Instead, we paid the price for not taking the chance when it was served up on a silver platter.
There's enough positives to take that we can be confident of a mid-table finish. So all is not lost.

TeflonTed (IP Logged)
29 September, 2018 10:03
Quote:
Kingston Parker
I thought that the rules have changed on conversions now, as was shown after the Wasps ďtryĒ that was disallowed on review after the conversion had been taken. Flood clearly didnít know as drop kicked conversion after first try as Johnson went to ref asking for review of forward pass. That cost us 2 points and an early lead.

I think youíre right there KP. Not sure if itís a Law as such, or ever was, but I believe that refs are now ignoring a quick conversion if TMO agrees there is an issue to rule upon.

The actual Laws as detailed [laws.worldrugby.org]

are as follows:-

LAW 8. Scoring, THE CONVERSION

8.7. When a try is scored, it gives that team the right to attempt a conversion, which may be a place-kick or drop-kick.

8.8. The kicker:
a. Uses the ball that was in play unless it is defective.

b. Takes the kick in the field of play on a line through the place where the try was awarded, parallel to the touchlines.

c. Places the ball directly on the ground or on sand, sawdust, or a kicking tee. The kicker may be assisted by a placer. Nothing else may be used to assist the kicker.

d. Takes the kick within 90 seconds (playing time) from the time the try was awarded, even if the ball rolls over and has to be placed again. Sanction: Kick is disallowed.

8.9. The kickerís team, apart from a team-mate holding the ball, stay behind the ball when it is kicked and do nothing to mislead their opponents into charging too soon. Sanction: Kick is disallowed.

8.10. If the ball falls over before the kicker begins the approach to kick, the referee permits the kicker to replace it. While the ball is replaced, the opponents remain behind their goal line.

8.11. If the ball falls over after the kicker begins the approach to kick, the kicker may then kick or attempt a dropped goal.

8.12. If the ball falls over and rolls away from the line through the place where the try was awarded and the kicker then kicks the ball over the crossbar, the conversion is successful.

8.13. If the ball falls over and rolls into touch after the kicker begins the approach to kick, the kick is disallowed.

alas (IP Logged)
29 September, 2018 10:04
It was a good tackle from Morris, but Penny really should have finished a golden opportunity.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
29 September, 2018 18:03
Quote:
zackary71
When the ball was spun wide, we had a clear 4 on 2, and to fail to execute the play with a Try at this level is not good enough.

To be fair, Wasps could equally vent frustration at not scoring a try that was nailed on when Daly? Was gifted a clear run through a gap the size of Switzerland yet he stuck to the drill & passed to ball along the line. He will kick himself for that one for a long time, but it happens, especially when the pressure is on.

Kingston Parker (IP Logged)
29 September, 2018 20:27
Quote:
dksniper
Agree about people leaving early. I was in front of west stand near north corner didnt see a bit of last 5 mins or the "extra" time when a mini crowd decided they werent leaving and just stood in walkway , infuriating!!
Enjoyed the game though amd agree we should have won. Better than last 2 games though.
Onwards and upwards.

Speaking as one of those, I was not leaving, simply walking around to the East Stand terrace so I can watch the end of the match and get to my car parked in the car park and leave before I'm stopped for at least 10 minutes.

A big bugbear is the fact that the entry stewards at the North end of the East Stand make a deal of allowing a West Stand season ticket holder through that entrance as opposed to having to walk all of the way around the ground. We pay to get into the car park which is 100% margin to the Club, and using this entrance reduces the queue in the West Stand so what is the problem? It actually discourages the use of the car park, and hence I think that the club should review their instructions to their stewards.

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
30 September, 2018 06:35
A really frustrating game which we really should have won given the rotation by Wasps. Missed chances and sloppy handling (which is creeping back into out game) cost us after a good start to the game.

I thought the ref was fine and some good performances from the likes of McGuigan again kept it entertaining. Sopogana seems to settling into the Premiership quite well, not a bad signing for Wasps on around 500k....

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
30 September, 2018 09:49
To be fair , last season we employed the tactic from previous years of relegation battles of not getting carried away and taking whatever points we can, even if that meant going for the sticks every time. This year we have confidence from last seasons table position which has given th lads the desire to win big and make statements . Itís w nice idea but given the close margins and how attentional it will be this year with no weak teams, we probably just need to keep them score board ticking over .

30 September, 2018 18:29
I think the loss of experienced players has hit hard, nevertheless if they want to be a regular top 6/4 team they need to put games like this one away. Far too many missed opportunities - Sarries or Exeter would have put away.

aidanb (IP Logged)
04 October, 2018 15:53
Quote:
dick g
Just caught highlights. Thought we looked pretty good. SS outstanding. Things seem OK.

I moved your post into here as there already was a thread on the same subject

dksniper (IP Logged)
05 October, 2018 13:58
Ironically I work sometimes as one of those stewards. In their defence they are following instructions. It was just annoying as it was quite a crowd that built up and anyone in front two rows of West stand struggled to see anything for about 5 mins.
C'est la vie. More important things in life.

aidanb (IP Logged)
05 October, 2018 14:05
Quote:
Kingston Parker
Quote:
dksniper
Onwards and upwards.

Speaking as one of those, I was not leaving, simply walking around to the East Stand terrace so I can watch the end of the match and get to my car parked in the car park and leave before I'm stopped for at least 10 minutes.

A big bugbear is the fact that the entry stewards at the North end of the East Stand make a deal of allowing a West Stand season ticket holder through that entrance as opposed to having to walk all of the way around the ground. We pay to get into the car park which is 100% margin to the Club, and using this entrance reduces the queue in the West Stand so what is the problem? It actually discourages the use of the car park, and hence I think that the club should review their instructions to their stewards.

Isn't it good practice to not be in front of people who are sitting down and are trying to watch the game though?

Thats not a poke at you KP, more an observation in general.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2018 14:10 by aidanb.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net