rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 26 April v Northampton Saints at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Saturday 4 May v Gloucester Rugby at Kingsholm, 3.00pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 22-27 Leicester Tigers

South Standards
dick g (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 10:08
I have noticed the unwelcome appearance of the ignorati in the South Stand. By tradition we offer vocal support not criticism. However, recently we have been joined by a bunch of loudmouths whise sole contribution is to moan loudly at any action on the pitch of which they disapprove. Box kicks evoke paroxysms of high decibel irritation. All players with ball in hand are ordered to run in all circumstances. The worse we play, the happier they appear. I share a fair bit of their criticism, but will not shout it.

Re: South Standards
zackary71 (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 16:36
Yawn. Moaning about moaning - oh what irony. I must have missed the moment you assumed the self-appointed role of moral arbiter on what is/isn't acceptable behaviour in the South Stand. I don't remember hearing any 'Yaya- Kolo' songs yesterday or a rousing chorus of 'Toon Toon Black & White Army'. In case you forgot, the Falcons operate in the Entertainment sector, and fans paid £22 + fees in the South Stand to watch yesterday's game. The only team that entertained us were 'Quins...so It's understandable why some are disgruntled with what's being served up. First-time visitors to KP yesterday would be highly unlikely to ever return. As long as fans don't cross a line with personal insults aimed at individual players, I don't see an issue. Maybe 2019 is the year you change your log-in name to 'victor m' ?

dick g (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 17:16
Quote:
zackary71
Yawn. Moaning about moaning - oh what irony. I must have missed the moment you assumed the self-appointed role of moral arbiter on what is/isn't acceptable behaviour in the South Stand. I don't remember hearing any 'Yaya- Kolo' songs yesterday or a rousing chorus of 'Toon Toon Black & White Army'. In case you forgot, the Falcons operate in the Entertainment sector, and fans paid £22 + fees in the South Stand to watch yesterday's game. The only team that entertained us were 'Quins...so It's understandable why some are disgruntled with what's being served up. First-time visitors to KP yesterday would be highly unlikely to ever return. As long as fans don't cross a line with personal insults aimed at individual players, I don't see an issue. Maybe 2019 is the year you change your log-in name to 'victor m' ?

Exactly the response I expected.

PedroFalcon (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 18:16
I'm also fed up with 'fans' in the South Stand constantly moaning every time we kick the ball rather than run it. The atmosphere at KP is quickly becoming so negative that it will actually hinder the team's performance by piling on unnecessary pressure. The players aren't going to change the game plan based on the views of some angry people in the stands, so why shout out when all it does is irritate the hell out of fellow ticket buyers. Bunch of selfish *******.

nook10 (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 19:21
It is only fair to praise players when they do well , it is also fair to criticise when they play poorly. The box kick is only as good as those who chase it and for many seasons we have not accomplished this.

PedroFalcon (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 20:50
My point is it ruins the experience for everyone else who has also spent money on a ticket. Why should I have to put up with idiots ruining my enjoyment?

Leipziger (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 20:59
Quote:
nook10
The box kick is only as good as those who chase it and for many seasons we have not accomplished this.

Very true and yet when Micky Young is playing, people hammer him for his kicking while ignoring the fact that Takulua's kicking (and the chasing, thus the result) is of identical quality. There is science behind people doing this but I'd sound pompous if I discussed it here.

This topic is always a can of worms. I think you get a lot of people who, deep down if not consciously, feel their ticket price gives them the right to do and say whatever they want in the stands. I can't help remembering Homer Simpson saying in one episode as the family entered a stadium: "Marge, this ticket doesn't just give me a seat. It also gives me the right, no the DUTY, to make a complete *** of myself."

Sport is unique in that in probably no other industry would it be acceptable for customers to give such abuse to people doing their jobs, who in turn have to just take it. When I'm behind the bar, if someone shouted at me: "You're@#$%&at your job", or similar, I'd give them a sharp return along the lines of "You talk to me like that again you can leave". My bosses certainly wouldn't expect me to just stand there and take it, in fact they'd probably have a go back at the person before I did.

Would any of us accept our customers coming to our workplace and shouting abuse at us as we honestly do our jobs to the best of our abilities, just because we're not meeting their standards?

I shout stuff at the pitch yeah, but I'd like to think I don't cross the line into personal abuse and unhelpful insults.

As for shouting at the players to "RUN!", I'm guilty of that and I think part of it is that, say we've got the ball on halfway. Yeah maybe running will just result in being tackled, but hopefully we'll keep a hold of the ball and build something. If we kick, because we rarely bother to chase, the result will be the opposition then having the ball on halfway and probably moving further forwards. So frustration borne from experience. I can see why some people might find it silly to keep shouting "RUN!" though.

forensicpsych (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 21:37
This forum is open to all to express their views - positive or negative - provided their is no innapropriate stuff. It’s free. If those who express negativity were labelled ‘ignoranti’, ‘loudmouths’, ‘selfish ********’, and ‘idiots’ then I can imagine how
few people would use it. But dick g only refers to people moaning - not swearing or insulting players - therefore simply having a different opinion as to how they wish to express themselves ...and they given the club £22 in order to have to have the right to do so. I was advised to move to the North Stand as I didn’t like the music in the tannoy - fair enough I thought (and happily the music at every breakdown was absent this week) - but perhaps those who dislike those who express negativity when it is their right to do so should consider a seat in the quieter areas or the ground.

Dictators achieve their aims due to the populous being afraid to express themselves - a stifled and silent crowd will not portray to the club the dissatisfaction of those who help to sustain it. Sometimes I do wonder if some supporters would be very happy for Falcons (or whatever team would be left at Kingston Park) to be playing non professional rugby as long as their olde worlde idealistic ethical expectations and high grounds are sustained in an era when they simply don’t fit with the commercial demands of professional rugby for financial exploitation of fans.

I like to moan when it’s@#$%&and whoop when
It’s good - I work hard to support my family, I don’t commit crimes against others - I commit time to the Falcons that I’m sure my wife and young son would prefer me to use otherwise and also use the x4 cost of getting to and from the game than the actual ticket price for other things - but I don’t want to labelled a selfish
idiotic ignoramus for expressing displeasure just because of the over sensitivities of others.

For the record I don’t think my mutterings and Bovril induced groans would have botherd dick in the slightest - and I also support his right to express his thoughts on this forum even if I disagree with them.

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
07 January, 2019 07:54
It did feel pretty negative in the first half and there were a few moans and groans but I didn't think it was excessive or abusive. We didn't have a lot to cheer in the first forty minutes after all

dick g (IP Logged)
07 January, 2019 08:42
Good points made here.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
07 January, 2019 10:01
This is an interesting and enjoyable discussion. Right from the start, sitting in the East Stand, you could feel the quiet nervousness and anticipation of icebergs ahead coming from the South and West of us.

As the score against us mounted the sounds and shouts of disappointment understandably grew and grew. No wonder people who have paid good money express their feelings loudly. I sometimes wonder how much the captain and his crew sitting in their sealed bridge at the back of the East Stand can hear of the crowd's unhappiness.

It is rather misleading to describe Michael Young's efforts on Saturday as "box kicks," they were much more like low flying unguided missiles aimed repeatedly at Mike Brown.

07 January, 2019 12:25
I like the idea of low flying missiles being aimed at Mike Brown - not a favorite of mine (Sm100)

chiplad (IP Logged)
07 January, 2019 16:57
Not sure referring to them as "ignorati" is very helpful. They are entitled to express themselves as much as anybody else, and it's not as if ignorance if the game puts some (not all) Falcons regulars from attending.

Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
07 January, 2019 19:04
Quote:
Bedlington Lad
I like the idea of low flying missiles being aimed at Mike Brown - not a favorite of mine (Sm100)

You wouldn’t have him at KP then?

08 January, 2019 07:53
Quote:
Exiled Falcon
Quote:
Bedlington Lad

You wouldn’t have him at KP then?
No I wouldn't - saw him throwing punches at one our players on the ground last year and he's always looking for trouble - not my type of player

dick g (IP Logged)
08 January, 2019 08:24
As started this thread, I shall attempt to conclude it. I promise to try to turn a deaf ear to the overtly critical minority. Problem is that I am an incurable optimist. My glass isn't just half full. I've got the whole blooming bottle! Mind, resisting waves if negativity is becoming difficult.

DB23 (IP Logged)
19 January, 2019 23:40
Quote:
dick g
As started this thread, I shall attempt to conclude it. I promise to try to turn a deaf ear to the overtly critical minority. Problem is that I am an incurable optimist. My glass isn't just half full. I've got the whole blooming bottle! Mind, resisting waves if negativity is becoming difficult.

Dick
I appreciate you wanted to end the thread but just wished to add some late perspective.
I was at St James’ Park this afternoon, where Mike Ashley, who has invested 100’s of millions in NUFC, was sat in the stadium. He was subjected to chants of ‘we want Ashley out’, ‘if you hate Ashley, stand up’, and ‘you fat cockney b*****d get out of our club’. Vile abuse.
I find some of the crowd comments at KP stupid and ignorant but nothing which compares to what I heard today.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 12:32
Did I hear boos on Friday night when Michael Young came on?

steve1888 (IP Logged)
20 January, 2019 13:26
Unfortunately or pathetically yes a couple it sounded like.

dick g (IP Logged)
21 January, 2019 09:00
A final final word on this. I apologise for my injudicious language in my initial posting. I accept that short of personal abuse and bad language, any opinion can be expressed during a game. I was wrong. My critics are right. Let's hope that when I return in March, there wil be much less to moan about. Then we will all be happy.

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
22 January, 2019 13:37
Dick I am with you all the way. If the game doesn't have values then what is the point.

To some people it may sound pious but, to me, you turn up to support your team. St james' park should not be used as a reference point. It's toxic. I left early last time I was there and i haven't gone back. (I love football by the way).

People who want to embrace the game need to embrace its values. It's very simple!

Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
22 January, 2019 19:27
Not sure the abuse of Mike Ashley is the best example to use. I really don’t condone any abuse of him but to say he’s put 100s of millions into NUFC is a little bit disingenuous. It’s basically used as an advertising hoarding. That said, the moronic chanting of ‘Cockney so and so’ always tickles me bearing in mind the home city of two heroes - Sir Les and Bobby Lee. I do agree however that attending a football match can be a rather unpleasant experience and sets it apart from the general friendliness apparent at rugby matches.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/01/2019 19:36 by Exiled Falcon.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
23 January, 2019 08:13
Quote:
Exiled Falcon
Not sure the abuse of Mike Ashley is the best example to use. I really don’t condone any abuse of him but to say he’s put 100s of millions into NUFC is a little bit disingenuous. .

As it stands he has ? Just because he doesn't make another 100 million available for transfers doesn't take away what he has put in. Also he gets grief for taking back a fraction of the 100+ million he has 'loaned' the club.

dick g (IP Logged)
23 January, 2019 09:09
Quote:
Exiled Falcon
Not sure the abuse of Mike Ashley is the best example to use. I really don’t condone any abuse of him but to say he’s put 100s of millions into NUFC is a little bit disingenuous. It’s basically used as an advertising hoarding. That said, the moronic chanting of ‘Cockney so and so’ always tickles me bearing in mind the home city of two heroes - Sir Les and Bobby Lee. I do agree however that attending a football match can be a rather unpleasant experience and sets it apart from the general friendliness apparent at rugby matches.

I am a half cockney. My mother was born within the sounds of Bow Bells. Can we get back to rugby now?

23 January, 2019 09:36
We've gone a bit off topic here is it time to call this one quits?

dick g (IP Logged)
23 January, 2019 10:48
Quote:
Bedlington Lad
We've gone a bit off topic here is it time to call this one quits?
Yes

This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net