rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 26 April v Northampton Saints at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Saturday 4 May v Gloucester Rugby at Kingsholm, 3.00pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 22-27 Leicester Tigers

Recruitment problem?
AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 10:21
I know I am not the only one who thought our recruitment was poor for this season, I know we have some good young players but I just was expecting us to sign one or two real quality players when we finished 4th last season, yes Johnny Williams is the only signing what has really stood out. What was the point of signing all these props when we don't play them example Rodney Ah You. I don't know it's just very frustrating. We will lose a good number of players I think if we go down but don't worry like somebody said we will have Arscott and Tait on the wings. smiling smiley

Re: Recruitment problem?
markismith50 (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 13:04
Rodney is injured

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 15:04
Ok fair enough, what happened to Paul Mullen?. smiling smiley

markismith50 (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 15:14
Paul reached the end of his short term contract

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
07 January, 2019 14:09
I'm often a critic of recruitment (especially props) but I think we recruited well this summer, well on paper at least.

We got the ball carrying Nagusa to play 8, a top prop and a future star at 12. The issue has been injuries, the vast improvement of other sides and us not playing well.

The club has reacted to injuries in bringing in Hardie, Rodney etc, but it's just not clicking.

When we lose a few, our attacking play goes backwards, it's that which is hurting us most imo. We seem to be lacking and confidence and belief.

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
07 January, 2019 15:09
I agree I think injuries and loss of confidence is the biggest issue. Hopefully we get a few back in time for the next prem games.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
08 January, 2019 11:43
Yeah I think we signed pretty well in the forwards. Maybe we could of signed slightly better in the backs, would of been nice if we could of found another Johnny Williams type signing who I think has been our best signing for this season. smiling smiley

mannin (IP Logged)
08 January, 2019 11:58
We obviously didn't recruit well as we've had to bring in a number of short-term signings and mid-season longer term signings. All sides get injuries.

Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
08 January, 2019 18:23
I would off Priestland a three year bumper deal if we could afford it

09 January, 2019 08:56
Quote:
Falcons_Thunder
I would off Priestland a three year bumper deal if we could afford it
I was just wondering if wants to be back in Wales?

pityacker (IP Logged)
09 January, 2019 11:07
A decent 13 would be my preference , we have the unfortunate Tom Penny out for the season and Chris Harris going through a spell where he seems unable to create anything.

Davidten31 (IP Logged)
10 January, 2019 07:37
What about paddy Jackson who looks london irish bound, I would have liked to have seen him sign for us.

Andy Mac (IP Logged)
10 January, 2019 18:05
It all blew up last time he was mooted.

Some think he’s an awful excuse for a human who isn’t in line with the clubs values.

Others think it doesn’t matter what he said and did because he was found innocent in a court of law.

Hopefully that’ll help prevent a repeat smiling smiley

aidanb (IP Logged)
10 January, 2019 21:21
Quote:
Andy Mac
It all blew up last time he was mooted.
Some think he’s an awful excuse for a human who isn’t in line with the clubs values.

Others think it doesn’t matter what he said and did because he was found innocent in a court of law.

Hopefully that’ll help prevent a repeat smiling smiley

Somehow I doubt it

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
11 January, 2019 12:47
Im not sure the recruitment has been poor though.

We've signed numerous players of the last few season, and pretty much everyone agreed we now had a settled squad that needed a few tweaks not major recruitment.

We've been hugely unlucky with injury and a few players not quite hitting form.

A few examples
Sean Robinson is a top class prem lock whos barely played due to injury.
Like wise Will Welch has been out so long
Jon Welsh has hardly played
Flood signed as a 70 cap former England international hasn't worked out as planned.
Chris Harris was selected for Scotland, and has been pretty poor since then
Takulua hasn't hit the heights of last season
Gary Graham hasn't been the explosive quantity he was last season.
Etc etc as it goes on and on.

You cant really blame the coaching staff for that.

What you CAN question the coaching staff for is some of the selections and seemingly lack of direction on the pitch.

Ie I prefer Alex Tait at full back to Hammersley. I think hes rock solid. But he's NOT a winger....and yet he's been playing at wing all the time. Maybe that is down to personal preference but I feel that Radwan or Kibirge would be better utilized there, and at the same time building up their prem experience.

And some of the side to side slow predictable rugby has been so directionless you have to question what is happening in training.

So I don't believe we have recruited poorly...the question for me is how we are using the fit players we have in the squad.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
11 January, 2019 13:22
I see what you're saying GeordieFalcon but the coaches may bear some responsibility. They are tasked with getting players to their peak, so for four key players like Graham, Flood, Harris (offensively at least), and Takulua being out of form , it does beg questions about training methods. Our tactics have also been poor a lot of the time, particularly the kicking from 9, and that's the coaches' responsibility.

Andy Mac (IP Logged)
11 January, 2019 13:32
I’d love to see a list of players we’ve signed and how we feel they’ve got on.

We’ve also let players like socino & olmstead leave who maybe could’ve done a good job this season.

Then there’s the Mermoz, Venditti, Van Der Merwe type players that we never got firing.

My gut feeling is that we’re no better or worse than other clubs at getting good players fit and able to perform.

11 January, 2019 13:35
My biggest concern this season has been the attack - we've been very lateral - that must be a coaching issue I'd have thought

mannin (IP Logged)
11 January, 2019 14:37
Letting Olmstead go was a very odd move.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2019 14:54
Was he any better than Witty , Robinson , Davison & Young really ? he was lively but not always effective and non EQP.

Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
11 January, 2019 23:09
Quote:
steve1888
Was he any better than Witty , Robinson , Davison & Young really ? he was lively but not always effective and non EQP.

Are Davidson and Young not Scottish?

markismith50 (IP Logged)
12 January, 2019 07:22
Yes, both Scottish, but Young is EQP and Davidson is not far off qualifying

Leipziger (IP Logged)
12 January, 2019 09:00
Easily recognisable players like Olmstead and Scott Lawson always look like they're doing loads when you're in the stands because you see them better, whereas other players kind-of blend into each other. Watching on TV, you can see how much work an individual actually gets through and how well they're doing. Olmstead was no better and did no more than anyone else in my view.

Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
12 January, 2019 12:25
Quote:
markismith50
Yes, both Scottish, but Young is EQP and Davidson is not far off qualifying

So if this is replicated throughout the league system then it kind of explains why the RFU have a £30m deficit!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net