rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Season over

See you in Jersey!

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 12-19 Bristol Bears

Cup semi commentary
Monkey1 (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 20:30
BBC Newcastle will bring you full match commentary of Northampton Saints v Newcastle Falcons from Franklins Gardens on Saturday 9rd February 2019. Ian Smith will be joined by the Man of Northern, Dean Gray with the guys on air from 12.00pm ahead of a 12.15pm kick off.

The game will be broadcast on BBC Newcastle 1458 AM, DAB and on-line via the BBC Rugby website. The link will be [www.bbc.co.uk] and just follow the ongoing links to the BBC Newcastle commentary.

Re: Cup semi commentary
pityacker (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 13:06
Great start but Saints starting to run us ragged our defence all over the place at times.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 13:25
Dropping off tackles is killing us here
Lost the intensity we had in the first 30
All of a sudden we are kicking the ball rather than running it like we were earlier in the game. Why?

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 13:50
Awful tackling
The missed tackle count will look embarrassing tonight

Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 13:52
That is the most disgraceful and embarrassing 60 mins Iíve EVER seen from the falcons. Iíve never been so embarrassed to be a falcons fan. With that defending we are heading back to the championship

DB23 (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 13:53
21-0 up, then an amateurish performance with tackling optional resulting in a hammering thereafter. Embarrassingly unprofessional.

telfs123 (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 13:57
Pathetic. 75 minutes in and we still look confused and lost everytime Northampton run the ball.
Turns out when your defence practices against an attack that does nothing apart from smash it up or kick, they are awful against anyone that does anything else.

I suspect weíll be seeing a few more games with the opposition having a similar score.

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 13:57
Embarrassing. We deserve to go down if we continue to show these types of inept performances.

pityacker (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 13:58
One of the most pathetic defensive performances I have seen , disgraceful.

AJfalc (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 13:59
Fingers crossed that ringfencing comes in this season.

Osric (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 14:05
Defences on top? I've got a mate in Ealing. Looking forward to the trip.

Gosforth (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 14:05
I doubt weíll be playing in this competition next year. Home final on offer and they play it like a game of sevens. Morale sapping hammering. Champions cup to championship in the space of one season

pityacker (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 14:11
Absolutely no doubt we are the poorest team in the league with no hope of getting anything out of the next 2 games we look like being adrift at the bottom , that game will have destroyed any confidence in the squad , can't remember ever feeling as miserable as I do now about our prospects even when we got relegated.

DB23 (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 14:21
Iím not sure weíve got the poorest squad in the Premiership but certainly playing the worst

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 16:23
I intensely disliked Dean Richards rude, gruff, monosyllabic interview before the match. Then we played great rugby for the first twenty minutes and I thought Spring has arrived early and the Falcons are blossoming again.

Unfortunately it was a false dawn and by the end of the match I felt as downbeat as pityacker describes in his post. I don't think we've got the worst squad in the Gallagher but something is not right at KP.

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 17:04
Why is nothing getting fixed?

Why has the defence become a bit of a shambles. Is it the loss of Latu, Vickers, Hogg etc.

Last season was above expectations but it was built on a rock solid defence. I just cant work out how it's gone so bad.

I am going to the Exeter game in two weeks and I'm dreading it now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2019 17:05 by GeordieFalcon.

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 17:08
Guys, some pretty brutal comments about the lads who clearly put in a shift today, if only to be heading back uo the road well beaten.
Itís fair to say itís going to be a tough time supporting falcons this season right up to the last game of the season but we are kinda used to it.
A good cup run can be good for the soul but did we really want to play an extra game against a robust Saracens when we are desperately fighting for premiership survival?
Our scrums , lineouts and attack is not the issue. Our exceptionally poor defensive play and missed tackles are costing us dear and appear to be a major retro step from last year. That issue is being covered in another thread.
Big thanks to the lads for giving us a spectacular opening 20 minutes and letís hope all the knocks and bumps heal ready for some extra defensive practice this week ready for Bath !

telfs123 (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 17:10
So weíve had 5 weeks since the last Premiership game. A time we all agreed was a chance for us to reset, change tact, self analyse and come up with a way to attack the rest of the season.

Instead weíve decided to do...exactly the same thing as we did before.
We seem to be the only team in the world who doesnít understand line speed.

Deano blamed it on fitness this week. We are a professional rugby club. Fitness should never, ever be an issue.

My opinion on ringfencing is rapidly changing.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 18:39
Eep! Saw it was 0-21, excellent, then 7-28, great, even 21-28 at half-time looked good... phone off for an hour and we'd lost 59-33! Even by our standards that's a monumental collapse. Never mind.

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 20:25
I find Deanoís post match interviews of late concerning. Thereís always an excuse, deflecting towards the referee and/or injuries. He is the director of rugby, he is responsible for coaching, tactics, recruitment, all of which have been poor and thatís putting it politely.

It strikes me as arrogance. We will continue to do what we are doing and we will find a way to get out of it.

However we struggle to score tries. If we open up (like we did today), we are far too open and leak penalties/points. When we get the ball back in our own half, we just box kick it poorly for the opposition to counter attack and make easy yards, defeating the object of kicking it away most of the time. Set piece, especially line out has to be the worst in this league.

Weíve been poor in most facets all season with little signs of improvement. But donít worry Falcons fans, Deano says itíll all be okay.

skip mcskipper (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 22:06
I'll never stop supporting the falcons but I'm not enjoying this season one bit! I wish I could just fast forward till the end of the season, so I can be put out of my misery one way or another!

Gosforth (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 22:10
Quote:
skip mcskipper
I'll never stop supporting the falcons but I'm not enjoying this season one bit! I wish I could just fast forward till the end of the season, so I can be put out of my misery one way or another!

Agree. This is one of the toughest to watch in a while. 2 seasons ago they were losing by single scores which was frustrating but progress was evident but this is baffling because there are better players at the club in many a year

Rogerandout (IP Logged)
10 February, 2019 13:49
The Prem cup games were used as an opportunity to help bed in the senior players rather than give the younger players game time. Northampton played a more mixed team with more youngsters.
Regrettably we got a right beating. We attacked narrowly and defended narrowly. We looked short of pace all over the pitch and played one off rugby which didnít work. I canít understand that we keep doing the same things getting the same results and appearing to be surprised.
Northampton are one of the poorer sides in the league and destroyed us for 60 mins. I can only see relegation now on the cards. Bath, Exeter fixtures are unlikely to yield points which will mean Worcester is the biggest fixture of the season.
If we are to go down we must plan for returning at the first attempt and invest in the future of the club, the youth, whilst hopefully retaining the services of the better senior players. The weaker senior players must not be retained.

I was horrified by yesterdayís performance.

MarchingIn (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 11:42
Quote:
Rogerandout
Northampton are one of the poorer sides in the league

In the last couple of months Saints have played the leaders of both the French and English leagues - they narrowly lost away to a full strength Clermont 40-48 and beat Exeter Chiefs 31-28. How many clubs would have done better?

This season Saints are just wildly inconsistent rather than poor IMO. We never know which Saints will show up - a bit like France. At their worst they throw away winable home games like the one they lost to Falcons in December. At their best they are a handful for anybody. You saw both sides of Saints on Saturday. Not many clubs go 21-0 down after 15 minutes, but even fewer come back to win. Rollercoaster season as a supporter.

Good luck for the rest of the season, I'm always quietly rooting for Falcons and Sale to stay up to keep top flight union in the north.

mannin (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 13:09
My issue with Deano's interviews is he often says things that are blatantly untrue. He said after this game that Northampton were pretty much at full strength as opposed to our selection which was more mixed...

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 14:02
Thanks for the post Marching In - any chance we get the off-colour Saints in the league? We could do with the points !

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net