rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Season over

See you in Jersey!

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 12-19 Bristol Bears

Mark Wilson on the bench for Italy
pityacker (IP Logged)
07 March, 2019 11:07
Brad Shields takes Marks place , a bit of a head scratcher.

Re: Mark Wilson on the bench for Italy
aidanb (IP Logged)
07 March, 2019 11:17
they have to be resting him

cumbrian_falcon (IP Logged)
07 March, 2019 11:21
given the amount of tackles he has made it makes sense to rest him. Plus means he will be slightly fresher when he returns in 2 weeks

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
07 March, 2019 11:22
Agreed, almost certainly resting him and giving Eddie Jones a chance to look at Shields prior to the RWC, especially with Robshaw coming back into the England mix. Iím guessing Wilson will get on (60 min point?) to increase his cap count and consolidate his presence , and equally would expect Farrell to come off and give Ford some match time.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
07 March, 2019 11:56
Quote:
cumbrian_falcon
given the amount of tackles he has made it makes sense to rest him. Plus means he will be slightly fresher when he returns in 2 weeks
Agree 100%. You'd imagine this game to be a banker. Scotland game more relevant.

DeceptivePace (IP Logged)
07 March, 2019 12:11
The forwards coach said it plain this week; for Robshaw to get back in the side, he has to outperform Mark. That gives an indication of how highly they think of him.
Just looks like sensible rotation rather than being "axed" to me.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
07 March, 2019 12:13
I'd say this is disappointing and a shame for him looking nailed on for the record tackle count.

They have rest weeks during the 6 Nations and he managed to play every minute of the Nov internationals.

I could understand if it was someone new being given a chance and why then risk the fragile Tuilagi or key players like George or Farrell. If its to have a look at palyers surely Robson would be getting a run out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2019 12:14 by steve1888.

aidanb (IP Logged)
07 March, 2019 12:43
I would imagine the World Cup will be the target for Mark and not the 6 Nations tackle count

as much as that would be an accolade

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
07 March, 2019 12:56
Feel for Mark and Henry Slade who have both been playing outstandingly well for England. I hope they are both being rested, but I have my doubts.

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
07 March, 2019 16:11
mark is being rested that's clear. Jones needs to see how Shields can perform.

That's some England front row...expect fireworks.

silicaballerina (IP Logged)
07 March, 2019 16:36
I have to agree with those suggesting "resting"(!)
I don't know how much of a battering he gave/received during in the ENG v GEORGIA practice last week but
Listening to Eddies team-pick-talk-through on the England site
they want to start with Shields 'running through some set plays' and then bring Mark on.
Could it be that Eddie thinks Mark can think on his feet, and knows his way around a pitch, without someone holding his hand?

Osric (IP Logged)
07 March, 2019 16:51
Why isn't Robson starting? Mark clearly being rested.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
07 March, 2019 18:00
Quote:
Osric
Why isn't Robson starting? Mark clearly being rested.
Clearly Jones doesn't want to tinker with his halfback pairing which is understandable to build fluidity. Not many top teams tinker with their halfback pairing. I know it's only Italy. But can see the logic there.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
08 March, 2019 00:37
I would imagine that Jones wants to see what different player combinations can achieve as an educational exercise in the preparations for RWC, and the game against Italy is an opportunity to do just that. It could backfire however if Italy are not given enough credit, and they could easily tonk any team that takes them too lightly, so have a bench that you can rely on should things start to go wrong.

If that is the case, then the idea of anyone being rested, favoured, or given the elbow is a bit childish. Mark on the bench becomes a sign that he could restore order should it be necessary to do so. In that scenario, being on the bench is actually a sign of respect.

It is all speculation, none of us has the inside knowledge of what the plans are, so to assume that anybody has been somehow slated by being included in the 23 is a bit bizarre.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
08 March, 2019 10:00
As I said what has Brad Shields done to deserve a spot. smiling smiley

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
08 March, 2019 10:35
All about squads these days so Shields gets a run out and Mark gets a break on the bench before the Scotland game I imagine.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
08 March, 2019 10:42
I just don't understand with other key players especially the glass ones aren't being rested.

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
09 March, 2019 19:14
As expected, brought on around 55 min (I got it wrong by predicting 60) , played solid and got a mention by Eddie in post match interviews. Expect he will have a big game next week in what should be a far more competitive match. Great that he appears to be a permanent fixture now

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
10 March, 2019 16:59
Eddie probably reckons that as a good Falcons boy that Mark may well be more up for the Scotland game (If that's possible) - and wants to give him the chance to really make it count!!!

He's certainly rested and incentivised now....

pityacker (IP Logged)
11 March, 2019 12:12
Didnít really see why Eddie Jones rated Brad Shields so highly especially head hunting him from New Zealand but he was very good at the weekend and good competition for Mark but I expect Mark to start v Scotland.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
11 March, 2019 12:26
Be an interesting call now and hope Mark's versatility doesn't bench him. Shields couldnt have done much more to be fair to him. Tackled well, carried well and scored tries.

For me you start Mark but depends on what Jones wants from his 6.

Andy Mac (IP Logged)
11 March, 2019 12:41
Mind, the fewer minutes he plays the fresher heíll be for the big game against Sale.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
11 March, 2019 18:00
If Mark gets through next weekend unscathed will he be free to play for us against Sale if selected or are there any enforced rest regulations?

It'll be interesting to see if he starts on Saturday with Shields as the finisher this time.

Robshaw hasn't been included in the 31 man squad this week. Do people think that the senior players of Eddie's early period as England coach like Brown, Hartley, Cole, Care and Robshaw will still play a part in his World Cup plans?

markismith50 (IP Logged)
11 March, 2019 19:01
Yes, he can play v Sale

aidanb (IP Logged)
11 March, 2019 20:13
Wilson back for us will make a massive difference

But who misses out (assuming Welch is fit)

Graham
Welch
Nagusa

All three have been in fine form of late and made a massive difference to our chances.

Wilson plays
But who gathers spelks.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
11 March, 2019 20:25
Welch won't be fit, he are well crocked.

alas (IP Logged)
14 March, 2019 11:12
Starting against Scotland. Apart from Itoje and Mako Vunipola this is Jones's first choice team.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
14 March, 2019 11:16
Thanks god for that. Surprised at moon over Genge, Nowell over Cokanasiga.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
14 March, 2019 11:37
That's brilliant news, convinced now it means Mark is Eddie's No.1 choice at 6 and in pole position to play there in the World Cup. Nobody deserves it more and I hope he has a great game against the old enemy.

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
14 March, 2019 13:59
Chuffed for him

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net