rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Season over

See you in Jersey!

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 12-19 Bristol Bears

London Irish and Paddy Jackson
aidanb (IP Logged)
11 June, 2019 23:26
it seems it hasn't started too well

advertiser unhappy

Re: London Irish and Paddy Jackson
Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
12 June, 2019 06:34
Canít say I donít sympathise with their sponsors viewpoint but I always find it amusing when drinks companies moralise.

dick g (IP Logged)
12 June, 2019 06:49
LI have been very foolish and should expect this sort of reaction. Sponsorship is about image and a brand doesn't want to be associated with one that has become tarnished. Sports stars have a dimension to their roles which extends beyond performance. We might not like it, but this is the reality. When people think about these players, what us the first thing that comes to mind?

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
12 June, 2019 07:31
Quote:
Diageo, which owns Guinness and is the team's main sponsor, said his signing was "not consistent with our values".

https://www.askideas.com/media/13/Funny-Drunk-Man-Picture.jpg

As EF says, any company that flogs large volumes of alcoholic drinks is in a pretty poor position to lecture on morals.

Having said that, only an idiot would touch Paddy Jackson in any sort of commercial operation. LI only have themselves to blame if their main sponsor pulls out.

dick g (IP Logged)
12 June, 2019 09:42
Quote:
Monkey1
Quote:
Diageo, which owns Guinness and is the team's main sponsor, said his signing was "not consistent with our values".

As EF says, any company that flogs large volumes of alcoholic drinks is in a pretty poor position to lecture on morals.

Having said that, only an idiot would touch Paddy Jackson in any sort of commercial operation. LI only have themselves to blame if their main sponsor pulls out.

No.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
12 June, 2019 09:53
To be fair he was found not guilty and people who have been found guilty get 2nd chances don't say ? our DOR instructed someone to be cut to cheat.

Should Wasps not sign Zach due to similar allegation?

There's numerous drink drivers playing etc

aidanb (IP Logged)
12 June, 2019 10:22
Quote:
Exiled Falcon
Canít say I donít sympathise with their sponsors viewpoint but I always find it amusing when drinks companies moralise.

Quote:
Monkey1
Quote:

I'm not sure I agree with those sentiments.

In essence you are blaming the drinks company for the fact that some idiot went out and got hammered on alcohol and then behaved like an idiot. Many many people drink alcohol and don't make a show of themselves or cause trouble. The behavior is in the idiot not the alcohol

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
12 June, 2019 12:07
I am not having a pop at drinks manufacturers, but I agree that they are on shaky ground if they intend to take a high moral stand, that is all.

As for Jackson, so many people get up on a soap box because he was found not guilty of a particular crime. That is not the issue, not even slightly. It is what was revealed during that process that many people find utterly repugnant, specifically his attitude to women.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
12 June, 2019 12:18
It was a group chat on whatsapp , there'll be woman with exactly the same chats on their phones nowadays.

nursepete (IP Logged)
12 June, 2019 12:43
I just think that LI and Jackson could have managed the situation in a much better way, either by saying at the time of signing "We are aware of sensitivities this signing may cause" or "we are aware of judgements in the past which Paddy has apologized for" and it would allow him to show some contrition(?) - to ignore the case and situation smacks of arrogance on both parties part in my opinion.
I personally am not surprised sponsors will remove themselves from business with Irish in this circumstance

dick g (IP Logged)
12 June, 2019 14:27
Quote:
steve1888
It was a group chat on whatsapp , there'll be woman with exactly the same chats on their phones nowadays.

Which doesn't make it right.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
12 June, 2019 14:39
Quote:
steve1888

No doubt there are millions of equally revolting people, both men and women, with morals & communications that mark them out as highly unpleasant. As Dick says, that doesn't make it right, it just makes the world a more uncivilised place.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
12 June, 2019 15:09
Does it make it actually wrong though or just not to the taste of some ?

Surely it's less wrong than drink driving? Less wrong that getting someone cut to cheat? Less wrong them braying somebody on the floor ?

I could understand player sponsors pulling away like with Folau but not sponsoring team is going to far.

Benpj17 (IP Logged)
12 June, 2019 15:21
Iím sure the Austrian sponsors would have pulled away if action hadnít been taken against Falou

dick g (IP Logged)
12 June, 2019 16:06
[quote steve1888]Does it make it actually wrong though or just not to the taste of some ?

The suggestion that the behaviour might be "to the taste" of anyone is beyond comprehension.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
12 June, 2019 16:46
Quote:
Benpj17
Iím sure the Austrian sponsors would have pulled away if action hadnít been taken against Falou

Didnt realise he was a Skier :p

steve1888 (IP Logged)
12 June, 2019 16:50
[quote dick g][quote steve1888]Does it make it actually wrong though or just not to the taste of some ?

The suggestion that the behaviour might be "to the taste" of anyone is beyond comprehension.[/quote]

Times change , people are different and all that. I can't comprehend why anyone would risk lives drink driving but they do and there's players who have been convicted play with no issues.

dick g (IP Logged)
12 June, 2019 17:13
[quote steve1888][quote dick g][quote steve1888]Does it make it actually wrong though or just not to the taste of some ?

The suggestion that the behaviour might be "to the taste" of anyone is beyond comprehension.[/quote]

Times change , people are different and all that. I can't comprehend why anyone would risk lives drink driving but they do and there's players who have been convicted play with no issues.[/quote]

Comparing one form of unnaceptable behaviour to another in a bid to deflect criticism is a pretty poor arguement.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
12 June, 2019 17:27
Not really , it's relevant as that is accepted but yet Jackson isnt getting the chance to carry on.

We also signed Crockett and Higgins after drugs bans , should out sponsors have pulled away from the team ?

SimonG19 (IP Logged)
12 June, 2019 17:55
Quote:
steve1888

Then London Irish shouldn't sign them either!

12 June, 2019 19:19
Quote:
Monkey1
Quote:
steve1888

No doubt there are millions of equally revolting people, both men and women, with morals & communications that mark them out as highly unpleasant. As Dick says, that doesn't make it right, it just makes the world a more uncivilised place.

It wasnít the WhatsApp in isolation, it was more a case of what happened that night. Justifying anything because as Monkey says, equally revolting people may do similar, is really the beginning of the end as far as Iím concerned.

It all reminds me of a few years ago in football when a manager signed a particularly despicable character who had a long list of misdemeanours under the justification of Ďwe are getting a £7m player for freeí. Sadly morals donít always sit at the forefront of things.

That said the guy canít remain a pariah for ever and itís true, we have welcomed back drink drivers back into the game for instance. Maybe even one more year in France would have given time for things to settle down, L Irish must have known they were on shaky ground. That said, I would never like to see him on the Kingston Park payroll.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
12 June, 2019 22:44
Yep like I say others have been guilty of worse and accepted back. Give me another chance at least and yeah like I said don't give individual sponsors but not the team and and team full of stars next season.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
13 June, 2019 19:36
It appears that Cash Converters have stopped sponsoring London Irish as a reaction to Paddy Jackson having been signed. My first though was that Jackson is probably pleased not to have to be associated with Cash Converters, rather than the other way round.

aidanb (IP Logged)
13 June, 2019 20:22
Diageo cancel deal also

13 June, 2019 22:38
If I were a L Irish fan Iíd be delighted Cash Converters ceased sponsoring my team.

Heaf (IP Logged)
14 June, 2019 00:11
Cash Converters and LI parted company before PJ was signed - they are just jumping on the bandwagon trying to imply it was anything to do with PJ ...

14 June, 2019 08:59
Glad to hear that Heaf, if someone like Cash Converters claimed the moral high ground we can all get our coats.

dick g (IP Logged)
14 June, 2019 11:40
Let's not divert attention from the fact that Jackson's attitude was quite reprehensible.

CharlieDog (IP Logged)
14 June, 2019 12:15
Quote:
dick g
Let's not divert attention from the fact that Jackson's attitude was quite reprehensible.

It was - and he suffered the consequences - what happens in future is now important.

I have no problem with someone making a mistake (and suffering the consequences as appropriate) - what I do have a problem with is someone making the same mistake a second time.

If and until he does make the same mistake again, he should be given a chance to move on.

15 June, 2019 09:51
It always seems a little weird when actions are described as Ďmistakesí, like PJ above or drink driving, or taking a banned substance. To me a mistake is putting the wrong fuel in your car or filling in your passport form in blue ink when it should have been black. That sad, where I can sympathise with PJ is that although he was found not guilty, his actions that would normally have been private are splashed over the public domain and he will forever be thought of as not the kind of guy youíd be wanting your sister or daughter to go out with. Anyway, it is time to move on although as Iíve said, another year in France would probably have been best for all concerned.

I guess PJ will be hoping that Irish employing two players who seem to have difficulty in getting to the menís room to urinate will take a bit of heat off him!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 15/06/2019 09:54 by Exiled Falcon.

dick g (IP Logged)
15 June, 2019 11:15
Quote:
CharlieDog
Quote:
dick g

It was - and he suffered the consequences - what happens in future is now important.

I have no problem with someone making a mistake (and suffering the consequences as appropriate) - what I do have a problem with is someone making the same mistake a second time.

If and until he does make the same mistake again, he should be given a chance to move on.

His "mistake" was in revealing his attitude to women. How can we know if his attitude has changed? He is finished at the top level. He, we and London Irish can now move on.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net