rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Re: Danny to sign for Sale
DuncanS (IP Logged)
22 February, 2012 15:26
Really quite depressed about this. Fair play Sale, though.

pds18464 (IP Logged)
22 February, 2012 15:33
Good point DW's 'form of his life' run was littered with some absolute rubbish and immensely flakey cameo's.

It's true the 'Walder massive' were main instigators which started off as a bit of a laugh, but really its tantamount to mexican waving during a game you are bored with. Its bloody annoying if you are there to watch the match or I would imagine play in. Perhaps not so coincidentally the same gang were also very slow to recognise all in the garden wasnt actually too rosy and going downhill but preferred to lay their frustations at Danny's door. He did not deserve that treatment any more any more than Walder on a bad day at the office, they both had plenty of good and bad days

There is simply no excuse for booing your own players - the perps are complete knobs

Boooo (IP Logged)
22 February, 2012 15:56
Well Girimeister and Beckenham Wasp.
Wonderful to meet two individuals who obviously at the ages of 19, 20 never made any mistakes.

Danny was (and still is to some extent) a young, talented, good-looking lad who worked, played and lived near the centre of London.
He got picked for England and played a blinder.
Then he got a bit caught up in the whole media attention thereafter.
If you had good-looking women swooning over you constantly and your friends bigging you up all the time...I can imagine you could well fall into the same trap of thinking you had hit the big time way before you actually had.

His career has been colourful...but he's now making strides to ensure he fulfils his potential.
Give the guy a break!!
Who on earth is perfect in their decision-making at the age of 19, 20, 21?

Don't judge him on that...judge him when he's 26, 27, 28 and in his prime.
And for all those of you comparing him to Dave Walder. Dave was 32 years old then...and many years wiser.

Give him a break!
This world is made up of many different characters (thank god) and there's no better story than seeing someone who veered off the rails a little...get back on track and hit the top.
Fingers crossed Danny.

Westy68 (IP Logged)
22 February, 2012 15:58
Looks like something special is happening at sale, spent a lot of money this year and looks like happy to do the same for next year.

Great signing for them, on a bad day still better than most.

Lets hope we can get a good FH

Hucks_nli (IP Logged)
22 February, 2012 15:58
walder wasn't a 100% man??

ridiculous. talking about the guy who played most of his last season with 1 good arm & 1 good leg because he was the only flyhalf we had. never shirked that responsibility though.

anyway - cips never deserved the bashing he took either. wasn't his fault he was picked out of form. and he (and other 'flair' players) always take more of a panning when out of form than hard-working forwards who even in terrible form no-one dares to criticise.

galliano2001 (IP Logged)
22 February, 2012 16:04
Westy68 - if you ever hear any of us at Sale using the phrase 'something special is happening at Sale' please feel free to shoot us.

We appear to be making some decent signings, we have a CEO who whilst rather rough round the edges is a passionate Sale man and wants the best for us. Hopefully Danny will shine at Sale and make his way back into the England team.

Beckenham Wasp (IP Logged)
22 February, 2012 16:12
During the 2008-9 season the strongest Wasps side should have had Walder starting at 10 and Cipriani playing at full back. For some reason McGeechan kept on picking Cipriani even though his confidence was shot and he was still struggling with the leg he broke when during the 2008 semi final against Bath. Many supporters thought that Danny was getting picked because of his name rather than his form and that Walder was not being given a far go.

Anyway while it is undeniable that Cipriani is a very, very talented rugby player I have always thought that he skills set does not have the makings of a world class fly half. Unfortunately his kicking from hand is not good enough, his front on 'collusion' tackling on the game line is not good enough and his decision making is not reliable enough. I think that his pace, skilful lines of running and general footballing ability are much more suited to the outside backs as either a full back or outside centre. Also his side on cover tackling is much better than some detractors would have it. Obviously he wants to be the main man at 10 but if it came down to a choice between Cipriani and Farrell, as it might well do, I know who I would go for.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/02/2012 16:59 by Beckenham Wasp.

Westy68 (IP Logged)
22 February, 2012 16:13
Galliano, hope I didnt offend it was meant has a joke/compliment.

Just wished we had a passionate owner and a good FH.

Hangover (IP Logged)
22 February, 2012 16:27
If Danny's mind is RIGHT then Sale have a great player, if its not he could be a liability. I hope for his England ambitions its the former.

galliano2001 (IP Logged)
22 February, 2012 16:33
Westy - was taken as a joke / compliment. Damn message boards can be hard to convey emotion!

None of us really know how it will turn out, 12 months from now people could be saying how astute Diamond was or what a plonker he was to bring in a media hungry prima donna.

bald.paul.101 (IP Logged)
22 February, 2012 19:05
Nice to see the usual dribblings get wheeled out when ever Dannys name gets mentioned.

show pony...can't tackle...immature...selfish...arrogant.

and to justify booing him because you didnt think he should be in the team...I never realised he picked the team as well as played in it.

and lets conveniently forget an injury that could have ended his career....and the enormous amounts of work he put in to recover from it...and his self funded extra training with Margot wells.

And then people wonder why he's gone to sale...

The Reverend (IP Logged)
22 February, 2012 19:23
I really thought at one time he was the future of English rugby. But a fatal addiction to celebrity nonsense and the tabloid-fuelled obsession with his private life (which he courted, like the similar Gavin Henson) has done for him, I fear. A great shame, a superb talent but only a shadow of what his former potential promised. Anyone can switch off the tabloid lifestyle and interest - anyone can slip off the tabloid radar anytime they want; but he seems addicted to it. Of course the tabloids (and Radio 5 Live, which even reports innocuous returns from injury on their sports news bulletins for the 2 players menntioned here) just play along with the game in an unholy, choreographed danse macabre.

waspman (IP Logged)
22 February, 2012 19:36
Totally agree with bald.paul

Absolutely gutted if he's not coming back but I wish him all the best and I really hope he proves all the people who get a sense of joy at slagging him off completely wrong.

The biggest talent ive seen in a wasps shirt.

Ive got a feeling Diamond and Hanks could be the right combination to get the best out of him.

It was a depressing day when Cips decided to go and this is very close behind it.

bald.paul.101 (IP Logged)
22 February, 2012 19:37
Rev, wrong. His broken ankle is what ruined his England career.

dawson9 (IP Logged)
22 February, 2012 19:40
Ah arguments about Cipriani - its like we've gone back in time to a golden age of the DW board! (Sm6)

arquero (IP Logged)
22 February, 2012 20:05
Just watched Total Rugby on Sky Sports 3 in which Brian Ashton told a great story about a training ground session for the National Academy featuring Danny and Dom Waldouck. There was also an article featuring James Haskell and Leon Holden in Japan.

Programme is repeated on SS3 at midnight.

WaspsAAAHH! (IP Logged)
22 February, 2012 20:49
Sale are going to be a strong team for sure, good luck to Cips!

The Reverend (IP Logged)
22 February, 2012 20:58
Bald Paul, agree, shocking timing and a major injury; but he just doesn't seeem to have got back to the heights he reached very early on. Whoever he plays for in the future, nothing would give me greater pleasure than for him to show everyone once more the genius he had.

Richardwasp (IP Logged)
22 February, 2012 21:40
Big fan of Danny and not happy about this, those who think he was a great full back might like to remember a certain Friday night match where he had a shocker at fullback .... Against Sal. I prefer to look at Games like clermont at home and Bath away when he was sublime....

james46 (IP Logged)
22 February, 2012 22:40
The reason he is going to Sale, in a word MONEY.

Also gutted that he isn't coming back to us.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net