rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Good news!
Shrek Wasp (IP Logged)
28 February, 2012 12:40
We don't have Greg Garner "reffing" this weekend...

... The bad news is it's Martin Fox.

Re: Good news!
St Bruno (IP Logged)
28 February, 2012 14:23
Foxy's OK.
It might have been Sean Davey, you know!

BeddingtonWasp (IP Logged)
28 February, 2012 17:55
Quote:
St Bruno
Foxy's OK.

Eh?!!!!

The fear of loss is a path to the Dark Side. - Yoda

ROUTE 66 (IP Logged)
28 February, 2012 18:22
I'm beginning to think they're all useless.....the Sale try that never was....no downward pressure, body weight moving in another direction....knock on would have been the correct decision.....try's should NEVER be given unless you are near enough 100% certain.
What was wrong with Strettles try???????????????????????????
Once again the topics of most matches are of contentious refreeing decisions....it is a great pity but like it or not this is the case.
I really hope we get the rub of the green on Saturday because I am fed up of reading posts on here following the match of refereeing rubbish....win or lose I fear this will be the case though....not digging out our supporters because they are absolutely correct in bringing these issues to the fore....just get fed up with it though.

Geewhiz50 (IP Logged)
28 February, 2012 18:45
I don't normally jump to the defence of referees - but it is so easy to criticise them for mistakes. The one point that I have never seen stated is that, at least IMHO, even the worst referees get the majority of the decisions correct. The referee rules on what he sees, or thinks he sees. He can never, repeat never, be 100% correct unless you are prepared to have a video review of every decision he takes (and even then errors are made!). You can imagine the complaints that would ensue if this was to happen.
In the case of the Strettle try, the referees "fault" was to accept the decision of the video match official. I further accept that the correct decision in the event of not allowing the try would have been to revert to the penalty he had given before time had expired. However, I feel part of the fault for this oversight could also be laid at the feet of England's captain who should have been chatting to him and reminding him instead of standing apart.
Remember, without a referee there can be no game. I also note the lack of complaints when Wasps were winning and probably getting the benefit of "doubtful" decisions.(Sm139)

vw (IP Logged)
28 February, 2012 19:38
Referees seemed to make better decisions when Mr. Dallaglio was there to have a chat.

Peter Brown (IP Logged)
28 February, 2012 21:12
I suspect the players often made better decisions too, vw.

vw (IP Logged)
28 February, 2012 21:29
He could look very stern. I was just watching England v France from 2001 on ESPN. Lol gave Matt Perry a look for a slightly duff pass. England were winning 48-19 with less than five minutes to go. I suspect we could do with a little of that.

Atomic Wasp nli (IP Logged)
28 February, 2012 21:48
The annoying thing about Strettles 'try' is that we see many given trys every weekend where players don't ever ground the ball but only land on their arms/hands. Just because they've had a clear run in with no opposition doesn't mean you should give a try when they fall over past the try line. :-)

Peter Brown (IP Logged)
29 February, 2012 06:00
Ahem, goal line, Rick! I must say I do agree with you, however. I've often seen it, but wondered why no one ever mentioned it, thus assuming it must be me! The answer is probably materialism.

midlander5 (IP Logged)
29 February, 2012 08:24
Thank you Peter for policing the terminology on this site with reference to rugby!

Keith Johnson
Camra Member 224855.
PS BRING BACK BARNEY WE NEED MORE ARGUMENTS!!!!

Peter Brown (IP Logged)
29 February, 2012 09:29
And likewise for your ale advice, Keith!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net