rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Dean Richards New DOR at Falcons
ToryBoy (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 09:00
Former Harlequins boss Dean Richards is set to be appointed as the director of rugby of Newcastle Falcons for next season, BBC Sport understands.

The club is expected to make a formal announcement at the end of the week.

Former England forward Richards was banned for three years, following his involvement in the Bloodgate scandal when he was in charge of Harlequins.

His suspension ends in mid-August, when he is expected to take over from current Newcastle boss Gary Gold.

Gold took charge at Kingston Park on a six-month contract from Alan Tait in January but is expected to return to his native South Africa at the end of the season.

A move to Newcastle would see Richards team up with his former Leicester colleague John Wells.

The Falcons are currently bottom of the Premiership, eight points adrift of safety.

Richards, who won 48 caps for England cut his teeth in coaching at Leicester, winning four Premiership titles and two Heineken Cups at the club where he spent 15 years as a player.

He took charge at Harlequins in 2005 when they were in the second tier and led them straight back into the Premiership.

His four-year tenure ended in 2009 when he was implicated over a fake blood injury to Quins player Tom Williams during a Heineken Cup defeat to Leinster.

He also spent a season at French club Grenoble.

More recently, he has worked as an adviser with Worcester Warriors.

Former Worcester coach Mike Ruddock, who oversaw Wales to the Six Nations Grand Slam in 2005, told the BBC that he supports Richards' return to the sport.

"It's pretty simple as far as I'm concerned," Ruddock told 5 live Sport. "Dean has put his hand up and he knows he's done wrong.

"He's been banned for three years and he's served his time.

"As that's the case and, as he's coming back into the game, then he should be allowed to put that behind him and get on with coaching

Re: Dean Richards New DOR at Falcons
Geoff P (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 09:11
Seems fair enough to me. Quins weren't the only ones cheating (cough*uncontestedscrums*cough)and he's served out his ban.

Good luck to him.

smitch (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 09:18
and un contested scrums is anything like getting medical staff struck off for life is it!
The bloke is a bloody disgrace to rugby...he cost people he probably called friends their careers while he is now free to continue with his...something not right there

RossM (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 10:03
Well he is an ex-copper, what do you expect? Surprised he hasn't landed a job with News International.

BeddingtonWasp (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 10:07
Great idea to have a DOR who's been banned for cheating and is also a referee!!!!!

The fear of loss is a path to the Dark Side. - Yoda

Big Bazza (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 10:15
I think even if the Falcons are relegated they have a lot to be positive about with this signing

arquero (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 10:16
TBH, as Mike Ruddock says "He's been banned for three years and he's served his time." Except that he hasn't - yet!

I suppose once he's done his time he's entitled to end up wherever he's employed. However, what are the terms of his ban? I ask, because the report above says he's already acting as "an adviser" for Worcester. That's allowed as part of his ban, is it? So, where's the ACTUAL ban, then?

13 March, 2012 10:22
In truth, there can scarcely be a man more experienced at coaching in the premiership AND getting a relegated team promoted again.

Good signing.

RossM (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 10:36
If he was bent as a coach then he was bent as a copper. Should be investigated.

Sudbury Survivor (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 11:06
Quote:
smitch
The bloke is a bloody disgrace to rugby...he cost people he probably called friends their careers while he is now free to continue with his...something not right there

Or alternatively took the flack whilst others walked scot free. I have never been truly convinced that this was a Quins / Richards unique occurence - although I too do not in any way equate it with the uncontested scrum issue.

No place in the land of Smitch for punishment and redemption then.

greenwood (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 11:08
If he's as bent as you say perhaps he should join The Kings Cross Steelers.

I'll get me coat.

Old Sod (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 12:53
What's the future hold for Toby Blood?
(Sm6)

I'll get my coat too

Beckenham Wasp (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 17:47
It has to be remembered that before the Bloodgate incident Richards was the standout English coach around. After the 2007 World Cup there were two sets of coaches that had dominated the game in England. Our own Gatland/Edwards and Dean Richards and his crew. Only the incompetence of the RFU under Martyn Thomas stopped either group being appointed to the England job in either 2006 or 2007. I still believe that he has a hell of a lot to offer the English game and would have probably won the Premiership with Quins if he had stayed.

The real crime of Bloodgate was not the act of cheating itself, the blood bin laws were a cheats' charter that were regularly used as such, but the complex and detailed coverup afterwards. That amounted to a combination of wilful and continued deception, fraud and intimidation.

However the man has served his severe sentence and should be allowed to continue in his business. It is certainly great news for Newcastle as he has a pretty good record of club building, and Newcastle needs to be rebuilt from the bottom up.

13 March, 2012 18:37
Quote:
Beckenham Wasp
It has to be remembered that before the Bloodgate incident Richards was the standout English coach around. After the 2007 World Cup there were two sets of coaches that had dominated the game in England. Our own Gatland/Edwards and Dean Richards and his crew. Only the incompetence of the RFU under Martyn Thomas stopped either group being appointed to the England job in either 2006 or 2007. I still believe that he has a hell of a lot to offer the English game and would have probably won the Premiership with Quins if he had stayed.
The real crime of Bloodgate was not the act of cheating itself, the blood bin laws were a cheats' charter that were regularly used as such, but the complex and detailed coverup afterwards. That amounted to a combination of wilful and continued deception, fraud and intimidation.

However the man has served his severe sentence and should be allowed to continue in his business. It is certainly great news for Newcastle as he has a pretty good record of club building, and Newcastle needs to be rebuilt from the bottom up.

Good post Beckenham.

smitch (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 19:14
I am glad a few think he has served his sentance and due to the results of his previous coaching exploits should be welcomed back to what will be a fairly lucrative position..i would be interested to hear how the medical professionals that were implicated in this scam have faired..is their sentance over and are they now continuing with their careers? maybe the media can do a follow up.
I expect the only reason Richards was not banned for life was the threat of a whole can of worms being opened that would shame the professional game

Beckenham Wasp (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 22:57
Well the Harlequins doctor, who happened to be an A&E consultant, knew exactly what she was doing when she decided to break the Hippocratic Oath. Once she decided to act in an unethical manner she was taking her own professional reputation into her own hands.

I have sympathy for the other people involved such as Tom Williams and junior members of staff but not for a doctor who wilfully scalpelled someone's mouth. She should have and did know a hell of a lot better.

In terms of Richards the man has done wrong and has been punished. He has served his time and should be allowed back in the game. The same goes for Matt Stevens or anyone else who is banned for this that or the other.

RossM (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 04:57
severe sentence

Severe? Really? Only in your opinion. Should have been banned for a helluva lot longer - but that's only my opinion.

smitch (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 08:58
Agree with Ross 100%..Richards got off very lightly indeed.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 09:09
Journal EXCLUSIVE. Dean Richards on his rugby redemption at Newcastle Falcons [bit.ly]

Journal EXCLUSIVE. Dean Richards commits to Newcastle Falcons regardless of Aviva Premiership status [bit.ly]

Journal EXCLUSIVE. Dean Richards insists he still has his finger firmly on the rugby pulse [bit.ly]

Leipziger (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 12:03
Agree with Beckenham Wasp, the replacement laws are a cheaters' charter. They have been abused in different ways by a multitude of clubs over the years, from the Falcons and London Irish in the early 2000s to Quins when Richards was unfortunate enough to get caught. He was rightly banned for a long time but anybody who thinks Quins were/are the only team ever to have done what they did in that game against Leinster is quite naive.

The South Stand Choir (NEW POST: Match reaction: Harlequins 15-7 Newcastle Falcons):

http://thesouthstandchoir.wordpress.com

A one that got away.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net