rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Farrell says no to England
dawson9 (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 10:14
Speaking of the decision to reject the opportunity to join England, Farrell said: "It has been a special privilege for me to be involved in the Saracens coaching staff for the past two-and-half seasons. We have made decent progress during this period but, in truth, as a club, we have barely scratched the surface of our potential. The job isn't anywhere near half done, and I have decided I want to help finish the job."

Re: Farrell says no to England
arquero (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 10:21
Fair play to the man. Good old-fashioned principles. That should also put paid to some of the critics that his international involvement would only point to nepotism in selecting Farrell Jnr. in an England shirt!

Buttoi (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 10:23
Dodged a bullet there! We need brighter ideas for our backs play. Wayne Smith? Or Could Kinga be tempted back to England after winning the HC winking smiley.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2012 10:24 by Buttoi.

Boooo (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 10:38
Buttoi...I would take either of those two (or both!!).

pds18464 (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 10:47
or Brian Smith or wayne Smith

In fact it might be a good thing to have someone not from AP or RFU background to give a perspective on how teh SH teams france have moved on where we dont seem to have

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2012 10:52 by pds18464.

Petros (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 10:57
Brain Smith hardly shone under Johnno

pds18464 (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 11:02
I doubt there was much latitude to do much with Wells his pod system in place for so many years

PeterWasp (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 11:04
Brian Ashton as attacking coach? The RFU certainly owe him something.

jonnydeane (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 11:13
thought farrell was just in charge of defence for England

Broonie (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 12:04
didn't really understand the desperation to get farrell in the first place, particularly as wayne smith seems interested.

there may be an element of reluctance on lancaster's part to be saddled with an assistant whose knowledge and reputation outweigh his own by a large margin, but wayne will happily forgo the top spot as it means he avoids having to "manage up" which is not wayne's forte and is a function he loathes.

smithy's so far ahead of the field it's ridiculous, so they need to get on the phone sharpish.

Nomad-o'Rugby (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 12:26
Smith's not available till the Autumn though. South Africa could end up being a bit of a shambles at the rate

Beckenham Wasp (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 12:28
Well they will probably need a defensive coach as well. Dave Ellis could be an option. He had good reps from the French so he must be quite good.

Also I think the lack of Farrell senior is a positive. Someone like Wayne Smith is not going to tolerate a goal kicking automaton at 10. If he gets in the team I expect Farrell junior will be shifted to 12.

12 April, 2012 12:34
Quote:
Beckenham Wasp
Also I think the lack of Farrell senior is a positive. Someone like Wayne Smith is not going to tolerate a goal kicking automaton at 10. If he gets in the team I expect Farrell junior will be shifted to 12.

I see where you're coming from. I have to say though, for me Farrell's a 10, or not at all.

There are better running options at 12

Beckenham Wasp (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 12:45
Well I cannot see Farrell being an international fly half going forward. Like his father he has the skills set of a rugby league loose forward. Apart from his goal kicking the rest of his game is pretty unexceptional. I would still view him as a centre. Once Twelvetrees gets regular rugby at Gloucester he will be there or there abouts as well.

12 April, 2012 13:01
Quote:
Beckenham Wasp
Well I cannot see Farrell being an international fly half going forward. Like his father he has the skills set of a rugby league loose forward. Apart from his goal kicking the rest of his game is pretty unexceptional. I would still view him as a centre. Once Twelvetrees gets regular rugby at Gloucester he will be there or there abouts as well.

I definitely agree about twelvetrees.

Farrell is just too slow for a centre for me though. If he's complimented by a 12 and 13 with genuine running power then I think he can play a role, as he's got a cool head, good defence and is a good distributor.

But at 12 I think we'd struggle to score tries.

Geoff P (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 13:27
I think this is a big blow for England. People slagged off Shaun when he first came to us, but he made a huge difference to the defence and the mindset. He then did the same trick with Wales.

People are now slagging off Farrell, even though he's made an equally huge difference to the defence and the mindset at Saracens (unfortunately). And anyone who saw England play this spring could see he was clearly doing the same with England.

That England coaching team for the 6 Nations seemed to be a sum greater than it's constituent parts - they all brought out the best in each other. It's now a huge challenge for Lancaster to create a similar winning formula with different personnel.

But for what it's worth, a dyed in the wool long-time Waspie like myself would vote for Kinga. We know the man is a rugby god, and he's getting some serious praise for helping to turn that French serial under-acheiver into a very impressive winning outfit.

NorthHarrow (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 16:03
I agree with all the praise for AK but I'd much prefer to see him back at Wasps rather than England!

ROUTE 66 (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 17:54
Farrell, Twelvetrees, Burns, Hogdson for the England 10 shirt?? No thanks....there is only one contender and that's Cips. I think he will be picked again sooner rather than later.

mel1 (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 19:18
I was rather hoping that it would be England says no to Farrell! Do we really need to be taught our gane by a former Rugby League star?

arquero (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 20:37
Well, we were by Shaun Edwards!

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net