rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

 

Can someone explain
Hangover (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 16:11
why the game this weekend is being billed as ' The Group Decider' - it isn't by a long way is it ?

 
Re: Can someone explain
Westy68 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 16:14
Too get more viewers

 
Re: Can someone explain
ricohchezwasp (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 16:17
I guess the result will go a long way to determining who wins the group
Wasps win with a bonus and assuming we don't trip up at Zebre we will win the group regardless of other results.
Toulouse win and they will fancy beating Connacht at home and win the group.

Or it could just be a marketing ploy to get you to attend the Ricoh .......



Not a Doctor and not a troll!!

 
Re: Can someone explain
Hangover (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 16:26
So it isn't a decider at all - as I thought (Sm16)

 
Re: Can someone explain
NellyWellyWaspy (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 16:38
Well, I don't think any amount of marketing will fill the stadium. My guess is there are still 15-16k seats unfilled right now, with only 2 days of sales left, plus on the day sales. Well shy of 20k sold then by the kickoff.

If you assume that Zebre will not win either of their 2 games, and note that, aside from points difference, Wasps, Toulouse and Connacht have the same points, we are, effectively starting from scratch. Because we play Zebre next week, this is our last match involving Toulouse and Connacht, our competition. In effect, for us it IS the decider.

If we assume no draws, then at least one team will get two wins. Connacht will get one this weekend, so either Connacht also get two wins (and scrap with us for first place with either TBP or points difference deciding first place, or Toulouse and Connacht get one each, leaving them to scrap for second place.

If we don't win and instead Toulouse do, the best we can get is second, but that might easily become third. And so, for Wasps, we really do need to secure the win. So you might call it the decider, for Wasps.

 
Re: Can someone explain
11 January, 2017 17:10
The ticket office yesterday were saying they were hoping for between 18 and 20k. The South stand won't be open by all accounts.

As NWW was eloquently saying a must win for us - so a shame we couldn't have more of a full house, to cheer the players on.

COYW

 
Re: Can someone explain
ukms (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 17:19
Quote:
NellyWellyWaspy
Well, I don't think any amount of marketing will fill the stadium. My guess is there are still 15-16k seats unfilled right now, with only 2 days of sales left, plus on the day sales. Well shy of 20k sold then by the kickoff.
If you assume that Zebre will not win either of their 2 games, and note that, aside from points difference, Wasps, Toulouse and Connacht have the same points, we are, effectively starting from scratch. Because we play Zebre next week, this is our last match involving Toulouse and Connacht, our competition. In effect, for us it IS the decider.

If we assume no draws, then at least one team will get two wins. Connacht will get one this weekend, so either Connacht also get two wins (and scrap with us for first place with either TBP or points difference deciding first place, or Toulouse and Connacht get one each, leaving them to scrap for second place.

If we don't win and instead Toulouse do, the best we can get is second, but that might easily become third. And so, for Wasps, we really do need to secure the win. So you might call it the decider, for Wasps.

How times have changed smiling smiley .... when we are being a tad negative about a potential 20k attendance. Likely more Wasps supporters at this one than last week as not that many will travel from France.

Points difference shouldnt be put aside as its likely to decide the places in our group either 1st and 2nd or 2nd and 3rd. We are top of the group by points difference and its ours to lose. Win both games we qualify and unless Connacht put a cricket score past Zebre we will win the group smiling smiley

 
Re: Can someone explain
steve from cov (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 17:45
If Wasps win the group and get a home 1/4 final it will mean lots of . That's why it is so important.

 
Re: Can someone explain
DGPWasp (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 17:50
First deciding factor if teams are level on points is match points in games between the two tied teams. So Wasps level on points with Connacht means Wasps edge it as we've had the better of those two games. So after the draw in Toulouse, the winner this weekend not only puts some daylight between them, but also ensures they have their noses in front if we end up tied on points.

Bonus point win all but clinches the group barring a major slip up in Parma. Win without the bonus and we risk Toulouse putting out a weakened team against Connacht, if they feel their race is as good a run. There's definitely a case for allowing Toulouse a bonus point or two to keep them honest against Connacht. Not suggesting for a minute we'd do that, but if we're ahead by 10 points with the clock over 80 mins and Toulouse on 3 tries I'd have no complaints if we missed a tackle or two!!

 
Re: Can someone explain
ukms (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 20:01
Quote:
steve from cov
If Wasps win the group and get a home 1/4 final it will mean lots of . That's why it is so important.

Yeah huge income for a home quarter ! ...... with the loss in Ireland that's unfortunately out of our hands to some degree relying on other results going our way I believe.

 
Re: Can someone explain
bargepole (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 23:27
Quote:
steve from cov
If Wasps win the group and get a home 1/4 final it will mean lots of . That's why it is so important.

Winning the group doesn't necessarily get you a home QF.

There will be 5 group winners, plus 3 best runners-up, who are then seeded 1-8 according to points scored in the group.

So if you're the fifth best group winner, you will be away to the fourth best group winner.



Wasps supporter and ex-player since 1964


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net
 

Wasps Poll

Will Christian Wade be called up for the Lions again?

See results > Submit >>

Who is online?

Total users online:  

Most users online:  

Users on this site:  

Where are they?