rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Wasps confirm today a change in their Academy department as Academy Manager Matt Davies leaves the club
16 March, 2017 15:01
Anyone know where he's off to? Leaving or being pushed? I just thought it odd there was no mention of where he's going to.

[www.wasps.co.uk]

Wasps confirm change to their Academy structure

Wasps confirm today a change in their Academy department as Academy Manager Matt Davies leaves the club.

Wasps’ Head of Recruitment, Kevin Harman, will now also head up Wasps’ Academy Department, with James Honeyben and Ian Taplin taking over the day-to-day running of the Academy.

Matt Davies joined Wasps from Saracens in September 2013 and has played a key role in the growth and development of the club’s Academy programme over the past four seasons.

Wasps deputy chairman, Nick Eastwood, said: “We would like to thank Matt for his hard work and commitment to Wasps’ Academy programme, in particular for his role leading the Academy’s relocation and expansion, both during and since the club’s move from London to the West Midlands.

“It has been a vast project and the Academy programme has grown significantly since Matt’s involvement, providing numerous player development opportunities and attracting valuable partners to enable further expansion. We wish Matt and his family the best of the luck for the future.”

Matt Davies said: “The past four seasons have provided a huge source of enjoyment and pride. It has been extremely rewarding to witness the progress of the programme and the people involved in it.

“It is only when you take a step back, that you fully appreciate the transformation we have achieved over the past few years. The key to that success is, as always, the staff – playing, coaching and the support team - who have given so much of their time and expertise. I would like to thank everyone I have had the privilege of working with during my time with Wasps’ Academy, for their ingenuity, effort and commitment.”

Re: Wasps confirm today a change in their Academy department as Academy Manager Matt Davies leaves the club
jonnydeane (IP Logged)
16 March, 2017 16:37
Strange as all of the changes I'm sure he was responsible for implementing to the academy look to be baring fruit

Re: Wasps confirm today a change in their Academy department as Academy Manager Matt Davies leaves the club
Rob Smith (IP Logged)
16 March, 2017 17:08
I'm not sure of the why's and wherefores, but it's old news - 3 weeks or so. Been issues with the Counties in terms of use/over use of the top players and removal of large numbers from the counties squads. Also several questions around operation of DPP's. The expansion mentioned may have caused more upset, however as far as I could see Matt was doing the job as prescribed by the PRL/RFU pretty well but depending on where you sit that is good or bad.

[robsbl0g.blogspot.co.uk]
@robsmithrugby

Skippy (IP Logged)
16 March, 2017 17:17
Got to love the "he said" "she said" BS in press releases. No one actually said anything. Either a lawyer drafted something, if the topic was vaguely controversial, otherwise it was dumped on a lackey to come up with a few words. Then, in theory, those quoted may have reviewed it, but more likely thought "50d it, I have better things to do with my life," and approved it without reading.

bald.paul.101 (IP Logged)
16 March, 2017 17:49
Very interesting Rob.

seeing similar issues in Kent (which is a Sarries county), but at the moment its the county volunteers that are resigning. Nice to know other counties/avademies have the same issues.

NellyWellyWaspy (IP Logged)
16 March, 2017 18:19
Well, whether the local county volunteers like it or not, Wasps are here and will have a nice shiny new training facility as works gets under way in Allard Way. Wasps have been fairly low key in South Warwickshire, where Worcester are still active, so that should further ignite that fire when they ramp up their activities. They are getting very cosy with some of the local clubs around here (training days, tickets deals etc), which will inevitably draw the youngsters in.

The big prize must still be Warwick School, which is sticking with Worcester for now, but what about KES in Stratford? A lot of their talent also play at the town club, and Wasps now hold training days with all the flags etc to let everyone know they are there. My most local club won't even talk to me now because I support Wasps. Pitchforks at dawn. There will be blood I tell you, blood.

Rob Smith (IP Logged)
16 March, 2017 18:23
Quote:
NellyWellyWaspy
Well, whether the local county volunteers like it or not, Wasps are here and will have a nice shiny new training facility as works gets under way in Allard Way. Wasps have been fairly low key in South Warwickshire, where Worcester are still active, so that should further ignite that fire when they ramp up their activities. They are getting very cosy with some of the local clubs around here (training days, tickets deals etc), which will inevitably draw the youngsters in.
The big prize must still be Warwick School, which is sticking with Worcester for now, but what about KES in Stratford? A lot of their talent also play at the town club, and Wasps now hold training days with all the flags etc to let everyone know they are there. My most local club won't even talk to me now because I support Wasps. Pitchforks at dawn. There will be blood I tell you, blood.

But that's "Community" not Academy - bums on seats.

@robsmithrugby

bald.paul.101 (IP Logged)
16 March, 2017 18:43
I doubt the issue is that its wasps per se, if it wasn't wasps it would be someone else.
The issue that I'm seeing in Kent is the way the RFU wants the professional clubs to run the county sides & the developing player program (DPP) in general. Personally I think there are some serious issues which will need to be addressed otherwise there will be a bigger and bigger gap between the grass roost & the top level. Amateur clubs will start to rebel and stop providing players to county sides. IMO of course

Heathen (IP Logged)
16 March, 2017 20:54
Does this have anything to do with the changes?

[www.wasps.co.uk]

Heathen (IP Logged)
16 March, 2017 22:15
Job ad :

[www.wasps.co.uk]

Rob Smith (IP Logged)
16 March, 2017 22:38
Quote:
Heathen
Job ad :
[www.wasps.co.uk]

Knew Middlesex had changed hands, didn't know part of Oxon had changed - who's got that.

Very pleased the Apprentice options have been increased with Henley College Henley and Coventry - way forward.

Would guess new appointment would be high profile and pretty much already nailed on.

@robsmithrugby

james46 (IP Logged)
21 March, 2017 09:57
I think it's the end of a fixed term contract. Not sure he was offered a new one.

he has annoyed a lot of people, maybe that's the nature of the job and the structures.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net