rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Wayne Barnes
Steve. S (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 14:04
Right, after yesterday's game France v Wales, what is everyone's opinion on Barnes?
I thought he had a decent game. Even at the end he knew what he wanted and got it.
I don't think the 4th official helped, think there was a language problem there. Any views?
I would still like to se him at the Richo.

Heaven was full, Hell thought I was going to take over.

Re: Wayne Barnes
Petros (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 14:10
On the whole he was good, was a bit kind to the Welsh by not carding Davies for a deliberate knock on. And the Welsh management must take some blame for the farce after Lee's binning when they tried not to tack a player off

westwaleswasp (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 14:15
He should probably have taken Wales to 13. Can't help feeling that the vicious Welsh press were in his mind in the last 20. They can have no complaint with the generous way he reffed the overtime. Contrast with Bath Wasps at our place in the Euro a season ago, that game with a French ref IIRC. No problem there penalising even though it would likely have resulted in a try...and effectively settled the match.

He had a decent game, and unless he awarded a pen try what else could he have done?

Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 14:18
I couldn't see what he did wrong to be honest and it just goes to show that the referee simply can't win. Re the French doc, what else could he do, imagine if he ignored the doc and something dreadful happened. Okay we gone a fair amount of overtime but if the Welsh repeatedly infringe he can't simply blow for full time. You could argue he could have awarded the French a penalty try but he would have copped a load of abuse for that too.

Think he was let down a bit by his fellow officials. Of course all we are going to hear is that Saint Nigel wouldn't have allowed it to happen, but as far as I'm concerned he was in a no win situation.

What is does highlight is the appalling behaviour of the modern day rugby player, basically in the ref's ear non stop. If the players can't behave maybe we should only have the captain allowed to speak to him, draconian though it is, and yellow card anyone else. They'd soon learn.

welsh wasp (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 14:25
Well he did allow the French an extra 20 minutes before they could get their winning try.

Trev's Big Tackle (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 14:41
Quote:
welsh wasp
Well he did allow the French an extra 20 minutes before they could get their winning try.

No he didn't. He correctly let the match continue until the ball went dead, like every ref does. It's not like how Man U under Alex Ferguson would get time added on when losing at home.

England could have had 20 minutes to score against Ireland if we didn't knock on. Probably still wouldn't have scored though!

Barnes had no choice but to let the French do the hia on the prop but I hope his match report mentions it and requests an investigation.

WaspsInEssex (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 14:58
Thought Barnes had a very good game! Completely agree about the French doctor, Barnes had no choice but to allow the substitution although I'm sure the French doctor's involvement will be looked into.

Also thought he was smart not to give a yellow card to other Welsh props for repeated infringement at the scrum so that the scrums could remain contested. It would have been rewarding Wales to have non-contested scrums at that point in the match

Chilham (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 15:28
Barnes was excellent. The communication issue with the timing/replacement official was bizarre and not his fault.

Nomad_Wasp (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 16:13
He should have given a penalty try against Wales, that was a bit of a farce

Chilham (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 16:32
France at no time looked like they'd score a try from any of the set scrums. Why, then, should Barnes have awarded a penalty try?

Nomad_Wasp (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 17:06
Disagree. France were going forwards, Wales were going backwards and infringing, and Barnes binned one of them. There were then another couple of scrum penalties, as well as a few in open play

P G Tips (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 17:17
7 consecutive penalties at those final scrums suggests he should have taken stronger action. I suspect that he was suspicious of the French removal of Atonio, so did not want to use the PT try route and, as Chilham says there was no clear likelihood of a French try.

I do think he should have used the card a second time and reduced wales to 13. that solution was suggested by Tony Spreadbury when queried about a similar end-of-match series of scrum penalties in a club match 3 seasons ago.

PG

coddy (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 17:32
I agree he had a good game and the decisions he made whilst the clock was in the red were correct. As in Ireland the best team on the day won the game.

westwaleswasp (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 18:36
Least worst perhaps....

Wales were a shadow of themselves. France too.

RogerE (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 19:34
Once again, though, when the biting incident was referred to the TMO, there was no, suitable television footage available from the French TV company, although throughout the match alternative views were always being shown.

Sounds familiar - with what happened to us in Paris.

As for the rest of the match I did think Barnes was good, with the exception that some of the scrum penalties awarded against Wales, in overtime, came from French infringing first.

Roger

Marlow Nick (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 19:54
Agree that in general he had a good game.
Surprised he didn't give a yellow card and possibly a penalty try for the deliberate knock-on by wales. Seemed inconsistent compared to the French yellow.
Don't see how he could/should have given a penalty try for all the scrums at the end. He should have yellow carded a second Welsh prop for repeated infringement although looking at the screen and listening to Brian Moore it did seem that the French infringed once or twice without penalty.
I really hope his report mentions the french doctor, French to replay crew for the bite and the useless fourth official. But of course we'll never know.

Highlight of the match ... Jiffy losing his voice. Bliss.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 20/03/2017 10:01 by Marlow Nick.

fats (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 20:25
If he had binned another prop it would have gone to uncontested scrims which was definitely not an outcome the French would have wanted. The offences were not serious enough for a penalty try so we were stuck with what we got.

Biting was not an issue in my book. It's a citing after the game.

Marlow Nick (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 21:43
Referees job is to administer the laws not decide what would be good or bad for one team. If wales were repeatedly infringing he should have warned then given a second yellow not changed his sanction based on what he thinks France would want or deserve. That's like the slippery slope when refs don't send people off early because they don't want to spoil a game

KingoftheHill (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 09:39
The poor chap gets confused when Bristol aren't playing - he would've had us down to 12 and a Pen Try at the end (Sm22)

coddy (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 12:53
Quote:
Marlow Nick
Referees job is to administer the laws not decide what would be good or bad for one team. If wales were repeatedly infringing he should have warned then given a second yellow not changed his sanction based on what he thinks France would want or deserve. That's like the slippery slope when refs don't send people off early because they don't want to spoil a game

With the complex game RU is if the ref gave penalties out for every infringement seen by him, his assistants or the TMO we would be watching very boring games that lasted for 2 hours.

We shouldn't berate them for using common sense.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Wasps Poll

Will Christian Wade be called up for the Lions again?

See results > Submit >>