rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Academy Players In The Premiership
james46 (IP Logged)
12 July, 2017 11:03
[alexshawsports.wordpress.com]

Interesting reading.

Re: Academy Players In The Premiership
NellyWellyWaspy (IP Logged)
12 July, 2017 12:06
It is much as many here would expect. The academy has been neglected (or poorly resourced/managed) for some time. Wasps do at least seem to have started down the road back to 'normality' or what should be expected of them, but it will take some time. Given the numbers of staff leaving and joining, I doubt whether what is now in place is enough. It is a fact that players who are properly nurtured through academies into senior squads are more likely to stay and provide a stable value for money core to a squad.

In the old days, with those simple end of year school reports, Wasps would have a terse 'Must do better' type of comment.

As to the analysis, the RFU must also do better. This data should be collated and published by them, not left to a volunteer doing it on his own, at the start of season, and teams rewarded with some of that TV money that is sloshing around. True, that would give Sarries a good sized wedge, but they clearly deserve it.

Squawker2 (IP Logged)
12 July, 2017 12:14
Quote:
As to the analysis, the RFU must also do better. This data should be collated and published by them, not left to a volunteer doing it on his own, at the start of season, and teams rewarded with some of that TV money that is sloshing around. True, that would give Sarries a good sized wedge, but they clearly deserve it

I agree whole-heartedly with the former statement, and the latter would be very nice (not that I'm, ahem, in anyway biased) - the system grants extra allowance under the salary cap for a sufficient academy side that generated EQP (alas, there's a relatively low maximum benefit gained), but it's only an extra allowance, rather than actual cash which might stem the staggering drain of money from Sarries. (I mean losses were down 600,000, but we need that to continue for 5 years to break even!)

It would also be good, in such a wondrous world, to count promoted clubs at double value for their first two years, to credit managing to maintain a decent academy while in the championship

-----------------------------------------------------

Stuart Barnes is a Cock Womble

Barnetsarrie12 (IP Logged)
12 July, 2017 14:20
I agree NellyWelly, I think teams should be rewarded financially for producing academy players and bringing them unto the team, while we are 1st on both counts in the research, i still think we can do more and i want to see our team and also other teams in the prem in 10 years with 60-65 percent of the squad from the academy. It can be done and the current players in our academy and our u18's are as talented as the senior guys were at their age and some even more talented and as sarries have shown, you can build a successful side by focusing and building your academy and i think it's better as you don't have a massive turn over of players which we used to have when i was young. I think increasing the academy credits in the salary cap will be a massive way to go

12 July, 2017 15:42
Hey this wasn't meant as a Sarries 'love in'. (Sm22)

But, whilst clubs will still see some players and academy staff move (often for personal/location reasons - like finishing university), we need this system to compete with teams like the ABs. We lost some when we moved to Coventry, and it will take time to recover from that. Also, Wasps are only in temporary training facilities (the use of which has been extended for one more year for this coming season), but a permanent base is on the horizon (albeit delayed). Both of these help.

But, it is the schools and club youth program that is MOST important, and where Wasps have dropped the ball. These youngsters don't just appear at the age of 18, they need to be spotted and nurtured years before that, and that takes considerable skill. A good coach can spot that 'something extra' that a young player will have, often not so obvious to less keen eyes.

steve from cov (IP Logged)
12 July, 2017 16:19
I am sure the recent conveyor belt of talented players from the Coventry & Warwickshire area - Back, Garforth, Hamilton, Rimmer, Hardwick, Cockerill, Grewcock, Goode - will soon be fully operational again shortly.

A little patience is required.

Ayerza wannabe (IP Logged)
13 July, 2017 18:21
Quote:
steve from cov
I am sure the recent conveyor belt of talented players from the Coventry & Warwickshire area - Back, Garforth, Hamilton, Rimmer, Hardwick, Cockerill, Grewcock, Goode - will soon be fully operational again shortly.

isn't Warwickshire spilt with Worcester?

14 July, 2017 06:39
Quote:
Ayerza wannabe
Quote:
steve from cov

isn't Warwickshire spilt with Worcester?

North and East Warwickshire is allocated to Wasps, but the more affluent South Warwickshire (where Warwick School - national champions this year - is) is in Wuss's area, yes, sadly. This also happens to be where a lot of the Wasps players live ... and me, and where I went to school ... and where I played rugby.

brandnewtorugby (IP Logged)
19 July, 2017 08:37
There was an advert in the rugby paper last week for the Wasps / Henley College tie up.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net