rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Rail developments
Heathen (IP Logged)
07 August, 2017 22:33
Sadly nothing, as yet, concerning better services to the Ricoh.

May not be news to some on here but saw couple of items that might help fans get to matches at Reading and increased services on the Leamington - Coventry line.

A new station is being built at Green Park in Reading that will serve the adjacent business park and the Madstad. Half hourly service from Reading to Basinstoke and increased frequency with a shuttle service on match days. Completion due in a couple of years.

Closer to home is the news that the new station at Kenilworth opens at the end of this year and there will be an hourly shuttle from Leamington to Coventry (provided by LM). Wonder if this service will be extended through to Nuneaton, serving the Ricoh, as per the KNUCKLE proposal?

The real positive for fans travelling on Chiltern Mainline is that there will be a more frequent service from Leamington, possibly a train every 30 mins, cf hourly (with XC) at the moment. Better connections and less hanging around at Leamington (or Banbury).

Re: Rail developments
NellyWellyWaspy (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 06:30
To add to this. LMR were expecting to hear whether they or the other bidder had won the West Midlands franchise, but our ever indecisive government delayed the decision again to (I think) November. Don't expect it not to be delayed again until later. LMR have said that they will not make any decision until they have the certainty that such an investment would need.

The rolling stock is now fully approved and tested, and is on sale to other franchises and has received awards for its design. The company building them, Vivarail, say they will start shipping in January. Given how much better they are than what is on a lot of quieter lines, I have little doubt that they will sell out before LMR ever get round to making a decision.

The Vivarail order books will fill up fairly quickly and then LMR will face years of delays waiting for these units. Same old story. The Ricoh Station will continue to be a white elephant for many years due to incompetence and indecision. Same old same old.

The train itself is very nice, and is available in Diesel, Diesel/Battery hybrid and Battery versions. These battery versions give rail companies a really cheap way to put electric trains on a route without the electrification costs that the government is trying so hard to avoid. Every time the battery train is parked, it can be charging, and every station can be a charging point. A really good idea. A diesel train can be converted to battery use in a matter of hours.

StonedWasp (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 08:56
In 2 Years time London Irish will be sharing with Brentford in Kew, so a train station near the Madjeski isn't really a problem

Trev's Big Tackle (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 09:02
Quote:
StonedWasp
In 2 Years time London Irish will be sharing with Brentford in Kew, so a train station near the Madjeski isn't really a problem

Will they? Last I heard the planning permission for Brentford stadium specific excluded rugby being played.

waspymatt (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 11:58
Quote:
Trev's Big Tackle
StonedWasp

Will they? Last I heard the planning permission for Brentford stadium specific excluded rugby being played.

London Irish

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s96.htm?98,file=4917

Think Bonus (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 12:56
Coming to Sale match first for over a year as Saturday is my only option. When arriving at main Coventry station which is the best choice for travel to the Ricoh please - local train, shuttle bus or taxi (shared)?

Trev's Big Tackle (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 13:00
Quote:
waspymatt
Quote:
Trev's Big Tackle
StonedWasp

London Irish

Wow, good news all round.

bg (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 13:54
Think Bonus,

The shuttle bus is probably the best.. 2 per person each way. The train from Coventry to the Ricoh is about 5 return but depending on timings.. you may end up waiting an hour to catch the ghost train. A black cab taxi will cost about 15 which can seat 5 people

Atomic Wasp (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 08:09
It would appear that London Midland have lost the franchise according to this mornings news.

Cheers

Rick

@W2APS on twitter, the chap with the banners and flags.

Heathen (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 10:52
[www.bbc.co.uk]

[www.westmidlandsrail.com]

[www.westmidlandsrail.com]

Note that Coventry council are one of the stakeholders in WMR.

NellyWellyWaspy (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 11:13
No mention of the Ricoh station or line. Given the lack of short term capacity (2-5 years) of the rail rolling stock industry worldwide, those investment numbers are necessarily longer term. I shall watch the Vivarail site to see if they get any orders from them.

Ken I L Worth (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 12:03
Quote:
NellyWellyWaspy
No mention of the Ricoh station or line. Given the lack of short term capacity (2-5 years) of the rail rolling stock industry worldwide, those investment numbers are necessarily longer term. I shall watch the Vivarail site to see if they get any orders from them.

WMR pledge to triple capacity.....75 up to 225 ?

Ricoh Rail Opens UP

Heathen (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 12:55
And direct service from Leamington to the Ricoh in 2018.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Wasps Poll

Will Christian Wade be called up for the Lions again?

See results > Submit >>