rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Nantes to La Rochelle
Bazza7 (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 13:36
Apologies if previously posted, but anyone have thoughts on ways from Nantes to La Rochelle & return for the December match.

Seems to be a TGV train on Saturday when we arrive which would work well, but nothing on Monday back to Nantes, other than a 5.56am departure, which certainly won't after a few post match libations!

A week earlier there seems to also be a mid morning train to Nantes, but it seems that stops week commencing Dec 11th!

Alternative seems to be just hire a car at Nantes airport & drive both ways, but would have preferred the train in order to have a beer or two, & don't fancy the bus/coach.

Thanks
Barry

Re: Nantes to La Rochelle
Parawasp (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 14:57
There are trains but SNCFs booking system goes funny when you try to book too long in advance. There are direct trains at 9.57 am and 3.33pm but you cannot book them yet. Wait another week or so and it should be okay. Takes about 2 1/2 hours.

Atomic Wasp (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 19:31
My parents are going via train all the way. I'll ask my dad to contribute here.

Cheers

Rick

@W2APS on twitter, the chap with the banners and flags.

Propthebar (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 20:04
The French train timetable changes to winter schedule in 1st/2nd week in october, so at moment its not possible to book trains for monday 11th December should be ok around 11th october

backdoc (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 21:09
2 hrs in a car. We arrive friday and leave monday afternoon.

Not so big Trev (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 22:11
As Richard says, we are going by train all the way and spend some time researching travel to La Rochelle and due to lack of suitable flights opted for the train.

Some info that may be of use for Nantes and also anyone flying to Bordeaux.

I have found the SNCF websites not particularly easy to find trains times. You have to hunt around a lot with the help from Google and also know that the local trains are run by SNCF Regions - the trains are TER. The region for Nantes is Pays-de-la-Loire. The region for La Rochelle is Poitou-Charentes.

Go to [www.ter.sncf.com], select "Horaires and Trafic" which gives a longer list, select "Documents horaires a telecharger" (left hand side in pink). In the centre will be a box "Ligne", click on the drop down arrow then select "Ligne 09 Nantes - Lucon - La Rochelle" and there will be a link to a pdf for Ligne 09 Nantes - Lucon - La Rochelle for 02 July to 09 December 2017.

Ligne 09 shows Monday La Rochelle > Nantes at 05.56, 09.56 and 13.56 - no 15.33 - and 18.56.

Note - the Nantes <> La Rochelle timetable is NOT available on the Poitou-Charantes webpages.

For La Rochelle go to [www.ter.sncf.com] from where you can obtain (similar selection process as Pays-de-la-Loire and use "Fiches Horaires" for "Documents horaires a telecharger" ) for:-
* Ligne 06 La Rochelle <> Bordeaux
* Ligne 05 La Rochelle <> Niort <> Poitiers - this has TGV times and all the TGV listed go to/from Paris but minus the Paris times.

French TGVs, and I presume others, do not go on sale until 3 months before the travel date, but the 3 months is not exact to the day and is variable! [loco2.com] does allow you to set up a 'reminder' for a journey and you will get an email when your route and date goes on sale.

We are travelling by train - Eurostar London <> Paris (already booked) and TGV Paris <> La Rochelle. I am using [loco2.com] for booking the TGV as it gives better seat option selections than the SNCF websites. (I used [loco2.com] for travel to Toulon in January 2016).

If you are travelling around France, the 'Man in Seat 61' website - [www.seat61.com] and [www.seat61.com] is useful and from where I found [loco2.com].

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 13/09/2017 22:17 by Not so big Trev.

waspie pat (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 07:04
So much detail Not so Big Trev! Very impressed I'm sure your article will be exstremly useful. I've copied it to my reading list for future reference.

I thought Ryanair was difficult enough to navigate Stansted to La Rochelle got to the pay bit when it wouldn't allow me to pay?
'Live chat' eventually told me I needed to be on a Google Chrome not Sarfari?
Time l downloaded it the flights had gone up 25 each(Sm146)
Hope we can all meet up for a (Sm128)

Heathen (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 09:27
4 hour drive for us.

Bazza7 (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 17:41
Many thanks for the info guys, especially yours Trev, very helpful.
Looking forward to it,
Barry

welsh wasp (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 10:41
We are booked to fly between Gatwick & Nantes - out on Friday and back on Monday.
The SNCF web site tells us that tickets can only be booked 3 months in advance so I tried booking on 11 September. No luck - still being told that it is more than 3 months away.
We are staying in Nantes on Friday night as the flight arrives late - but the SNCF timetable shows that there are a couple of early morning trains on the Saturday.
BUT - make sure you book a direct train. There are a couple with changes which seem to take a long roundabout way to La R.

CB Wasp (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 11:38
We have booked Easy jet to Bordeaux from Luton on Saturday morning returning late Sunday night. Hoping sat nav gets us back to Bordeaux from La Rochelle in good time!. Car hire sorted too. I see that tickets go on sale in October. Should be a good trip.

neils (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 11:43
Glad we weighed the options and chose Easy jet and not Ryanair with their mass cancellation promise.

waspie pat (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 07:49
Glad we weighed the options and chose Easy jet and not Ryanair with their mass cancellation promise.

Too late for us we are already booked and paid(Sm32)
But now we need to add Priority boarding to get our hand luggage on. That policy has changed also from 1st November (Sm146)

welsh wasp (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 09:55
Re trains from La Rochelle to Nantes on Monday, the winter timetable will not appear for a few more weeks - so there are likely to be some morning trains.
For those who prefer the old-fashioned telephone way of booking tickets, try International Rail. You fill a form online telling them where you want to go and then respond by email - and told me that the current timetables just go up to 10 December.
Quoted 10 each for two seniors travelling from Nantes on the Saturday.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net