rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Attendance
Harry the Wasp (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 21:21
While I was a little disappointed with the Sale crowd, today's attendance worries me. The 150th game compared with Xmas Eve last year and the attendance was 11,000 down. Early days I know but I expected a near full house this afternoon and was surprised by what we got through the gates. I know that there has been a considerable increase in ticket prices. Some tickets that where 24 last season are now 32. That's a big increase and may need to be revisited. I'm happy to accept that I have no experience or knowledge of this but are we pricing ourselves out of the market?

Re: Attendance
ClaretAndBlueWasp (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 21:47
The price increase is partly to do with why I haven't been this season so far. It doesn't seem like much but when you are buying a few tickets it adds up.

The summer signings haven't been inspiring like the 2 previous. The poor start to the season won't help with the attendance either.

What was the attendance today?

backdoc (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 21:53

The Bard (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 22:21
That's still a very decent crowd

02 October, 2017 18:12
Yes Bard it is and we do get crowds that many of our rivals will envy. My concern is that every crowd so far this season has been down on last year. All told over the 3 matches played this season we have had 11,811 less bums on seats and therefore a corresponding loss of revenue. Sale and Harlequins crowds were only slightly down though. The 150th game should have had a bigger crowd in my opinion and compares unfavourably with the Xmas fixture last year against Bath.

Heathen (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 20:31
You have to compare the attendance for the games as they are in sequence. Time of year does have an impact on attendance.

Gaz (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 07:28
Be interesting to see the difference in crowds percentage-wise across the whole league. I heard that attendances are down everywhere. Of course the numbers will be different, but as a percentage of overall crowd it might look similar. I still think RWC15 was a missed opportunity.

Wasps capitalised on the novelty factor, invested heavily in players and match day experience and got good numbers last year.

This year, reality bites on the playing field, match day experience isn't what it was, poor service, admin errors, car park issues, etc all smacks of an organisation in cost cutting mode.

It will be interesting to see what that does to attendance.

A sharp up turn in form and results will do wonders.

MarchingIn (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 08:34
Quote:
Gaz
I heard that attendances are down everywhere.
A sharp up turn in form and results will do wonders.

Sounds that way & not necessarily.

Saints only got 12.8k for a 3pm Saturday kick off last week (usually our best slot for attendance but that's low)

Saints have just gone top of the table and are unbeaten at Franklins Gardens for 6 months so form & results not working wonders for our gate receipts at present.

bg (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 08:58
Last season the normal attendance was 12 - 15k.. the average attendance over the season was bolstered to 17k I think by a handful of very large attendances.

I was expecting the "normal" to go up a couple of thousand given the success last season.

Are occasional supporters reducing their frequency due to increased costs or simply a lack of interest (novelty value worn off?).

I know its only a handful of games into the season but is it linked to a reduced number of travelling away fans. Last season may have been a lot of away supporters first visit to the Ricoh.

Again, do they perceive the day cost (ticket prices, car parking, food and drinks costs) isn't matched by the Ricoh experience?

Have Wasps released season ticket figures compared to last year?

Heathen (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 09:37
Wasps gave me a very 'cagey' response when I asked the question re: no of STs sold. No details as to numbers though.

Petergwilson (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 09:42
Coach from Hillingdon seems about the same as last year. I still see all the usual faces in the clubhouse but those have been going to Wasps for many years so would probably put up with the hassle and costs. Have to admit the bar service is bloody terrible and the purity bar under block 18 had already cashed up before the game finished making it difficult to get the money back on the eco cups.

03 October, 2017 11:35
Next league game is Newcastle on November 18th which seems like ages away. With Newcastle riding high this should be an interesting snap shot of where we are crowd wise. Last season we had 15003 against a struggling Newcastle side.

timbo001 (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 12:40
Outside of big derby games my experience is that rugby attendances are greatly effected by the time of year, holidays etc. rather than who the opposition are. Its not comparing apples with apples to look at a Bath game in late September (still plenty of sunlight, mild weather, kids just finished summer hols etc) with a Bath game in the holidays in deepest winter. We have a game against Gloucester at the Ricoh in the Christmas holidays which the club would expect to get 20k+ for id imagine.

Fairer to look at, say, the opening 3 home games of last season and this, in which case attendances are very slightly up/flatlining.

StonedWasp (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 12:02
I have to admit, i'm more worried about what is happening ON the pitch, rather than OFF it

Andy1210 (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 12:45
Quote:
StonedWasp
I have to admit, i'm more worried about what is happening ON the pitch, rather than OFF it

Judging by the comments re the clubhouse, programmes and catering, along with the failure to book an ambulance for the A game, it looks like there's big problems on and off the pitch - what's gone wrong?

Is something happening behind the scenes we don't know? Are SISU now actually winning in their objective of distressing the club? Something's not right.

I hope the board and senior figures at the club haven't taken their eye off the ball and take note of the problems. There was a lot of work to improve things in the first seasons at the Ricoh.

Dgwasp (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 13:35
I think some of the off pitch gripes have always been there but are easy to mask when on the pitch all is good. There have been a few changes to catering this year, some have introduced improvements, however some seem to have made the experience worse - although from a selfish perspective I'm still happy overall. The forum only took place recently so hopefully that side of things is in hand, however changes won't happen over night. We are still attracting 15,000 people to games, and keeping everyone happy is never going to be easy. We have to also remember that more importantly the players had a few gripes last year which I expect have required more speedy attention.

As for the clubhouse in particular, I think ultimately it is catering for more people than it can cope with...

I agree about some of the other operational blunders/oversights such as late delivery of programmes and the lack of Ambulance on Monday. These are a bit more concerning and hope they are genuine blunders rather than the club running close to the wind financially and/or being distracted by SISU. I guess time will tell. It could be a case of limited hand over with the change in personnel and more time being spent looking at the corporate and non-rugby elements of the business.

I think given the performances, attendances are OK I'd worry if they dropped consistently below 10k but the atmosphere is good and revenue should be near what is expected / required. It is ultimately some of the cheapest Premiership Rugby going at a fantastic facility and on the whole an entertaining day out (bar last week!).

The new chap that has come in has brokered some pretty high profile club and stadium sponsorships. Hopefully that side of things can be underlined asap in order to help the next steps in the club's development.

As for SISU and finances we will know the status of both by the end of the month.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net