rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Teams Up
Hangover (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 10:50
Wasps team to play Saracens

Wasps’ Director of Rugby Dai Young has named the side to travel to Allianz Park on Sunday to face reigning European Champions Saracens.

Willie le Roux returns at full back, with Rob Miller moving to fly half in the absence of Jimmy Gopperth who picked up an injury against Bath last weekend.

Up front, it’s a re-shuffled pack. Ashley Johnson starts at hooker, Marty Moore at tighthead and Matt Mullan, who will also captain the side, at loosehead. With a five-day turn-around between Saracens and Ulster in the European Champions Cup at the Kingspan Stadium on Friday evening, Joe Launchbury is rested as a precaution following a knock picked up last weekend, having already played every game for Wasps this season.

Will Rowlands and Marcus Garratt form the second row pairing, with Garratt in line to make his Premiership debut. James Gaskell returns from injury to take a place on the bench, as does Dan Robson at scrum half.

James Haskell, Thomas Young and Jack Willis form Wasps back row. Nathan Hughes is recovering from the dead leg sustained against Bath. Willis, who was promoted from Wasps Senior Academy squad this season, is joined in the match day squad by his younger brother Tom, a current member of Wasps Senior Academy, who will provide back row cover on the bench.

Ahead of the trip to Allianz Park, Dai Young said: “All sides will go through periods where they’re missing a number of front line players and we’ve hit that period early on in the season, but it’s what building a quality squad is about.

“I have faith in every player in our squad that they will do a really good job for us every time they wear the Wasps’ shirt. It’s a good opportunity for some of our younger guys coming through to show what they can against one of the toughest opponents in Europe.

“We also have a couple of guys returning from injury which is great to see. We will give it everything we have against a quality Saracens side and look to put right the areas of our performance we haven’t been happy with over the past couple of weeks.”

Wasps team to play Saracens

15. Willie Le Roux
14. Marcus Watson
13. Elliot Daly
12. Brendan Macken
11. Josh Bassett
10. Rob Miller
9. Joe Simpson
1. Matt Mullan ©
2. Ashley Johnson
3. Marty Moore
4. Marcus Garratt
5. Will Rowlands
6. James Haskell
7. Jack Willis
8. Thomas Young

16. Tom Cruse
17. Ben Harris
18. Jake Cooper-Woolley
19. James Gaskell
20. Tom Willis
21. Dan Robson
22. Juan De Jongh
23. Christian Wade

Re: Teams Up
Rob Smith (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 10:54
Pleased to see Tom Willis given a bench spot - hope he gets some game time.

[robsbl0g.blogspot.co.uk]
@robsmithrugby

Buzzboy (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 10:54
Wow. A few surprises there. Not hopeful...

Heathen (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 10:57
Honest words from Dai. Baptism of fire for Garrett! Que sera sera.

Andy1210 (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 10:59
Good to see Dai looking at the bigger picture and focussing more on the Ulster game. The AP title has gone for us now and ECC and AP top 6 must be our priority.

Would have started with Hampson at nine and rested Elliot and played JDJ and Macken in the centres, with Armitage on the bench - dependent on injuries of course.

Steve. S (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 11:02
Think by this team we can see that Dai thinks we may have a better chance in Europe than AV.
Obviously saving Gopps and Launchbury for Ulster. Probably our two most key players at present.

Heaven was full, Hell thought I was going to take over.

Speach (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 11:02
Plenty of experience in the back line. The young guns up front will be tested and should learn much about themselves and what it takes. Outside international windows visiting Sarries with a full first selection is no guarantee of a result so the guys can go out there and give it their best shot with no real pressure. Same as a visit to Sandy Park.

If they give of their best then we should be happy. If they come away with something we should be overjoyed.

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
Sun Tzu

kentwasp1 (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 11:10
Jeez. Takes me back to AP days when seeing young bucks from the academy involved. One day I think we had five playing - a certain Launchbery and Daly included. Really tight times again.
I don't think for sure the top 4 has gone - it's all to fight for still as far imho.
Have bot seen the Sarries side but Mcall is calling us a "desperate" team after 3 straight losses - can't really argue with that.
How about evoking the spirit of the Valentines day massacre (Sm100)

RossM (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 11:19
And here's Sarries:

15 Alex Goode

14 Liam Williams

13 Marcelo Bosch

12 Brad Barritt (c)

11 Chris Wyles

10 Alex Lozowski

9 Richard Wigglesworth

1 Mako Vunipola

2 Jamie George

3 Juan Figallo

4 Nick Isiekwe

5 George Kruis

6 Maro Itoje

7 Calum Clark

8 Jackson Wray

Replacements

16 Christopher Tolofua

17 Hayden Thompson-Stringer

18 Vincent Koch

19 Dominic Day

20 Joel Conlon

21 Ben Spencer

22 Owen Farrell

23 Duncan Taylor

NellyWellyWaspy (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 11:30
We are where we are at. No depth at 10 or 15 or 8, not much depth anywhere else.
23 out of a (fit) squad of 27.

I don't think Dai had many choices to make.

Rob Smith (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 11:35
For me Miller is a better option at 10 than JG. JG has been very good at 12, so although some inexperience up front, team does include about 7 or so Internationals in the starting line up. Notvhopeful of a win but am of a strong performance.

[robsbl0g.blogspot.co.uk]
@robsmithrugby

Nomad_Wasp (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 11:38
Well, let's see how Garratt goes, he'll be up against it for sure but he's a massive unit. Rowlands has stepped up so no worries there.

Without Nathan's carrying I think we'll struggle. I think has is lucky we have so many injuries but he needs to step up as a senior player.

Think it's going to be brutal, but hopefully better times on the horizon.

StonedWasp (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 11:39
Sarries team going for the kill, very strong side

Nomad_Wasp (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 11:41
Quote:
Rob Smith
For me Miller is a better option at 10 than JG. JG has been very good at 12, so although some inexperience up front, team does include about 7 or so Internationals in the starting line up. Notvhopeful of a win but am of a strong performance.

Just don't see that myself. I think he's pretty ropey there.

Raggs (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 11:43
Quote:
Rob Smith

In the end I didn't rewatch the Bath game, but impressions of that game were that when Miller was at first receiver, he was far flatter, and played in a way that better suits our structure (similar to Cips), than Gopps, who was mostly too deep for the system to work.

Of course, dropping in for a phase here or there, and playing 10, is a completely different kettle of fish, but we'll see. I'm not necessarily confident, but hopeful (that he'll go fine, not that we'll win).

kentwasp1 (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 16:58
We're underdogs, even lap poodles. David and Goliath. I say we have a chance, even facing the Lions second row and some on the bench. We have fire power and great players. Just depends if the senior players can carry the young un's and we come out blazing and bodies on the line with pride. My BT sport email this evening highlighting the game should give some inspiration. Come on lads
[ecomm.bt.com]

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 17:09
Surprised to see Young at 8 rather than Haskell.

backdoc (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 17:14
Bookies have Sarries st 1/10

Bracken&Macken (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 18:44
Glad we are giving some academy kids a go. Thought Rowlands has looked very good so far.

Agree with Rob regarding Miller. Jimmy was too far back last week, the game has moved on.

Sensible selection from Dai considering we have another away game Friday night. For all the media attention player safety is getting at the moment I can hardly believe a team can play two away games in 5 days. Highlights one thing, it's all about money.

CB Wasp (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 19:49
If you compare 1 to 15 of our Wasps boys with Sarries starting 15 then on current form, one would imagine very few if any Wasp players making the Sarries team. The bench is a bit different though and we have 3 to 5 players that probably would make the Sarries bench. Tough proposition indeed on Sunday then, but I hope for and expect a reaction from last week.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net