rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Quins the catalyst
Andy1210 (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 23:17
Quins recently sent us spiralling into a dreadful run of defeats and Cips into a pair of crutches, all topped off with the Marler/Haskell shenanigans, Watson botching a straightforward try, Cruse another sitter by not passing and Dai by resting Gopps because he had an ongoing niggle when his kicking would have won us the game. Notwithstanding a totally incompetent ref and end of a 22 match unbeaten home record.

So itís ironic that our season may well hang on our second meeting at the Ricoh in a couple of weeks. Can this game be the catalyst to relaunch our season and wipe clean the memory of that miserable September afternoon?

I think our season hangs on this game and we have to win with a five pointer. We will have had near on nine days rest, potential injury returns and will know whatís coming i.e. intimidation, cheap shots and a super talented 18 year old 10. Quins will set out to bully us and wind us up.

If we can reset ourselves, find some form and start moving upwards and onwards, it will be a tonic to the club and fans.

However if we lose it doesnít bear thinking about. Losing to your great rivals at home twice in your 150th year, a likely exit from Europe ending our season by mid October (Iím of the realistic but controversial opinion our title challenge is over) - you have to win your ECC home games. It would also be a sixth defeat in a row (barring a miracle in Ulster) with an away game to Saints coming up and home game with Falcons. Things would look very bleak and it would be tough attracting the same kind of crowds for the second half of the season as we did last year with only top six to play for.

I really feel this game will be make or break for our 150th season - whether it lights the touch paper or goes off like a soggy firework. Defeat is too much to contemplate.

Re: Quins the catalyst
Rifleman Harris (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 08:19
Blimey, you are a ray of sunshine aren't you!!

I think it is too early to write the season off. The league is more competitive than last year, so I could quite easily see the top 4 losing a fair few games - Chiefs lost a fair few last year and still wound up doing OK. Whilst it is no doubt making the cause much harder it is by no means a lost cause.

Spikey910 (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 11:00
I'm with Rifleman, too early to write off the AP, although we do need to start winning asap. I also think the top 4 will lose more games than last year, and at least we've got the two most difficult games out of the way. We'll need a big run, but finishing top 4 and winning through in the play offs isn't impossible. However, I agree that beating Quins in 2 weeks is vital to European chances.

greenwood (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 11:48
Dunno why we take heed of Rifleman...I reckon he's the type of bloke who shouts from the bleachers not to score too many points so he can win a vintage bottle of wine !!

FishingWasp (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 11:53
This years results throughout the premiership (Chiefs and Sarries apart) have been all over the place - eg Gloucester beating Saints after suffering a thrashing the week before; Irish winning their first round game and only two points off beating Leicester, yet being comfortably beaten in other games.

Add to that much congestion in the table points wise.

So no its not time to write off our chances yet. Keep the faith!
Remember being 9th/10th in the table at Xmas time, yet qualifying for the play offs?
Hoping that my glass is still half full come the end of the year though, and hoping for two good wins against Ulster and Quins (Santa .... come early!)

Rifleman Harris (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 12:37
Quote:
greenwood
Dunno why we take heed of Rifleman...I reckon he's the type of bloke who shouts from the bleachers not to score too many points so he can win a vintage bottle of wine !!

There's a lot worse I'd do for a much cheaper bottle of wine!!

Westy68 (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 12:51
Ulster dont exactly have a great record in the champions cups and if daiís selection is sensible I do expect a hard thought victory

11 October, 2017 14:39
Quote:
Westy68
Ulster dont exactly have a great record in the champions cups and if daiís selection is sensible I do expect a hard thought victory

Hopefully that's the case, as long as the ref remembers when time is up of course.

Having said that maybe Connacht were trialling the rule change that allowed ball being kicked to touched after 80 minutes and EPCR just forgot to inform us.

If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score? - Vince Lombardi

Not so big Trev (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 15:06
Quote:
FishingWasp
Remember being 9th/10th in the table at Xmas time, yet qualifying for the play offs?)

Remind me which season was that? I seem to remember one season were we not actually bottom at one week-end (over Christmas or New Year) due to the sequences of the week-end's matches and the Wasps match was the last - and then won the trophy at Twickenham.

westwaleswasp (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 15:42
2008 we went on a stupid run having been in the doldrums- Mr. Andrew made some snide comments about Edwards not being able to be in two places at once, and once he uttered those words Wales and Wasps just could not stop winning.

FishingWasp (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 16:16
Thanks WWW - saved me looking it up.

Dgwasp (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 16:22
Of the last four losses Quins is the one that I was most disappointed with. Exe and Sarries we just couldn't compete throughout the 80 and gave too many points away and Bath was a horrendous second half performance but against a decent team again. If some of the changes that Dai wants are tactical it will take a few weeks to get the players fully up to speed. I think we saw some reasonable things against what was a strong Sarries team and hope some improvements can be carried into Ulster this week with the side being on it again for Quins at home. I'm looking forward to the game on Friday!

RobAwasp (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 19:02
Quote:
Dgwasp
Of the last four losses Quins is the one that I was most disappointed with

Me too!
Felt like Iíd had my wallet lifted by a not terribly good pickpocket.....not the best analogy maybe.

RossM (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 20:35
Yeah. Losing to the clowns p*ssed me off the most as well.

Andy1210 (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 21:41
Quote:
westwaleswasp
2008 we went on a stupid run having been in the doldrums- Mr. Andrew made some snide comments about Edwards not being able to be in two places at once, and once he uttered those words Wales and Wasps just could not stop winning.

I remember - but we mustnít forget the mitigating circumstances...

1. We started badly because we lost a lot of players to the World Cup which impacted the Premiership until late October, but we did get a lot of our best players back rested and ready for the season all in one go. Not so with Cips and TT out until next year.

2. The person who forgot to turn the heating on... We had a Premiership game with Sale that was rearranged because of the EDF semis to 5.15 kick off on a Sunday evening in February. Sale we title contenders at near full strength whilst we had a lot of players on six nations duty. The club werenít happy at this new time, but fortunately someone from Wycombe forgot to turn the undersoil heating on and the match was called off minutes before kick off due to a frozen pitch. We won the rescheduled fixture with all our internationals back.

westwaleswasp (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 22:19
The annoyance about Quins was it felt like with almost any other ref we would have had a different result. I was happy that we had Chiefs and Sarries away when we were at our weakest- two matches we would probably have lost at full strength more often than not.
I feel we might get a win on Friday, there were green shoots vs. Sarries.
So expect a stuffing for us......

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net