rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Teams Up
StevieWasp (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 11:47
Wasps team to play Ulster Rugby

Wasps’ Director of Rugby Dai Young has named his side to travel to Belfast to take on Ulster Rugby at the Kingspan Stadium on Friday night, in the opening round of this season’s European Rugby Champions Cup.

Wasps are boosted by the return of captain Joe Launchbury, Nathan Hughes and Jimmy Gopperth, whilst there’s also a return to the starting line-up for Christian Wade and Dan Robson in Wasps’ backline and Jake Cooper-Woolley and Tom Cruse in the front row.

Ahead of the European Rugby Champions Cup opening fixture, Dai Young said:

“The Kingspan Stadium is a great venue to play rugby, as I always found during my time coaching Cardiff, and our squad really enjoyed the atmosphere there in our pre-season game. It's a fantastic stadium, always ram-packed and the supporters really get behind the team.

"Ulster have a quality squad, with threats throughout, so you have to be at your best if you are to get a result there. I’m sure they will have ordered some rain in again as well - I don’t think I’ve ever been there on a Friday night when it hasn’t been bucketing down!

“We’ve parked the Premiership to one side for now and we’re really looking forward to getting stuck into a new tournament. We’ve dusted ourselves down and it’s a good time for us to switch to a new competition with the slate wiped clean.

“We go to Belfast with a smile on our faces, ready to enjoy the experience as that’s when we play our best rugby. If we can produce the standard of rugby we know we’re capable of, there’s no reason why we can’t get a result.

“All players want to play the best teams, in the best competitions, in the best grounds, and that’s what it will be on Friday night, so it should be a fantastic contest for fans to watch.”

European Rugby returns to the Ricoh Arena on Sunday 22 October when Harlequins are the visitors in round two of the Champions Cup, kick off 5.30pm.

Tickets are available from wasps.co.uk/tickets

Wasps team to play Ulster Rugby

15. Willie Le Roux
14. Christian Wade
13. Elliot Daly
12. Brendan Macken
11. Josh Bassett
10. Jimmy Gopperth
9. Dan Robson
1. Matt Mullan
2. Tom Cruse
3. Jake Cooper-Woolley
4. Joe Launchbury ©
5. Will Rowlands
6. James Haskell
7. Thomas Young
8. Nathan Hughes

16. Ashley Johnson
17. Simon McIntyre
18. Marty Moore
19. James Gaskell
20. Jack Willis
21. Joe Simpson
22. Rob Miller
23. Marcus Watson

Re: Teams Up
StevieWasp (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 11:51
Happy for Will Rowlands to keep his place in the 2nd row

Heathen (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 11:52
Nothing wrong with that squad.

Capable of getting the W if their heads are in the right mindset and the bodies don't fatigue in the last quarter.

#cOYW

FishingWasp (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 11:56
I am disappointed that Miller is not starting FB over WLR, but can see the sense of having him on the bench to cover either WLR or Gopps as and when needed.

Nomad_Wasp (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 11:59
I think if it wasn't a 5-day turn around Ash might have started. But it'll be great to bring him on and inject some energy and punch at around 50 minutes.

Would have maybe even started Marty, I thought he was excellent on Sunday. Haskell was never going to be dropped, but imagine he'll be the one to make way for Willis. Really pleased Rowlands kept his place.

COYW!

matelot22 (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 12:00
Quote:
FishingWasp
I am disappointed that Miller is not starting FB over WLR, but can see the sense of having him on the bench to cover either WLR or Gopps as and when needed.

Agreed.
If we start to rediscover some form, I see no reason why that side can't come away with a win. I may have been tempted to switch the starting props, Chesty and Marty seem the stronger scrummagers so I think a good scrummaging platform for the first 60 then Matt and JCW being perceived as the better players in the loose coming on as the field breaks up could work.

bald.paul.101 (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 12:03
Whilst I have been a massive fan of Haskell, I'm surprised he's kept his place. Lets hope he has a stormer.

This is a massive game for Wasps

Westy68 (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 12:18
I believe that team is good enough to get a W and I expect a W

FishingWasp (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 12:20
Just hope that our starting centres don't get crocked as no bench cover. Suppose that Gopps could move to centre (or Bertie at a pinch and bring Simmo on to cover wing?).

Really looking forward to this one - hopefully the recent results have been solely due to injury toll / temporary dip in form.

COYW - I'll have just under half my drink and top it up - leaving it more than half full

StevieWasp (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 12:29
It's probably Gopperth covering 12 and Macken then Watson covering 13

Nomad_Wasp (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 12:34
With Daly and Miller you'd have thought they might have put JdeJ on the bench to cover the centres as there would be enough back 3 cover.

Ulster's centres are massive. Mackey and Daly will have their work cut out!

brandnewtorugby (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 12:37
Speaking of Ulster;
Ulster Rugby team to play Wasps, European Rugby Champions Cup (Friday 13th October, Kingspan Stadium, 7.45pm):
(1-8): K McCall, R Herring, W Herbst, K Treadwell, I Henderson (captain), R Diack, S Reidy, J Deysel;
(9-15): J Cooney, C Lealiifano, J Stockdale, S McCloskey, L Marshall, L Ludik, C Piutau;
Replacements (16-23): J Andrew, C Black, R Ah You, M Rea, C Ross, P Marshall, P Nelson, T Bowe.

Unavailable for selection:
Rory Best (hamstring)
Marcell Coetzee (knee)
Craig Gilroy (back)
Chris Henry (larynx)
Rob Lyttle (shoulder)
Al O'Connor (concussion)
Jared Payne (headaches)
Dave Shanahan (hamstring)
Nick Timoney (ankle)
Schalk van der Merwe (shoulder)

Looks like a long injury list as well. Still lots of internationals, and one Jedi!

StevieWasp (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 12:37
Quote:
Nomad_Wasp
With Daly and Miller you'd have thought they might have put JdeJ on the bench to cover the centres as there would be enough back 3 cover.
Ulster's centres are massive. Mackey and Daly will have their work cut out!

in that case, maybe we should try a change of tactics.... we could try keeping possession, and starving the opposition

DuncanS (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 12:44
Pretty strong team and bench. Would've been tempted to keep Miller at 10, with Gopps at 12, but we then have the same risk as before of playing both our 10s at once.

Petergwilson (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 13:45
That's a good Ulster side. I know as I watch all their matches being a 'good' Ulsterman (still a Wasp though).

kentwasp1 (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 13:47
Quote:
Petergwilson
That's a good Ulster side. I know as I watch all their matches being a 'good' Ulsterman (still a Wasp though).

If a one C Piutau is anything to go by then for "good" I'd say pretty formidable

CB Wasp (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 13:54
Good looking bench this week and mostly happy with this selection. I would have started Willis over Hask or even played Gaskell at 6. Ulster play a fast game and both Willis and Gaskell get around the pitch so much better. It really is time for Hask to stand up and show us that he still has a game left in him.

I think that only 8 of this team started against Sarries, hopefully offsetting the 5 day turnaround to some extent. In fact the boys are probably (and hopefully) desperate to get out and prove themselves. Win this and they have 9 days before Quinns.

RossM (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 14:38
If a one C Piutau is anything to go by then for "good" I'd say pretty formidable

Well, at least we know he won't passsmiling smiley

Andy1210 (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 18:38
Quote:
DuncanS
Pretty strong team and bench. Would've been tempted to keep Miller at 10, with Gopps at 12, but we then have the same risk as before of playing both our 10s at once.

Agree with this. We had the Gopps/Macken 10/12 axis against Bath and it was desperately lacking in creativity - think Macken is great defensively but lacks a dimension in attack.

Willis or Gaskell over Haskell for me.

Lets hope we can find some form.

BigRich - Ulster (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 19:33
Quote:
Petergwilson

14 and 15 are asre about face.
13 is handless
8 has yet to deliver on promise
6 is world class at running up to people
5 should be in the back row
3 has been overtaken by changes in propping laws/techniques, but is still head and shoulders above the 18

And don't even start me on the bench

I'm looking for our half backs to save the day along with some individual brilliance from our back 3.

But we'll need to win some ball somehow and once won, avoid losing it in the centres.

Sorry. I'd hoped for better.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net