rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Teams up!
Gaz (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 11:44
Wasps have named their side to face Ospreys on Friday night at the Liberty Stadium in the Anglo Welsh Cup, kick off 7.30pm.

20-year-old Jack Willis will captain the side for the first time, which again features a mix of regular first team players and members of the Wasps Academy.

New signing Nizaam Carr, who joined the club from the Stormers last week, is set to make his debut, named to start at number eight.

Captain Jack Willis retains his place at six, with Wasps Academy’s Will Owen named to start at seven.

Matt Symons will make his return from injury, as he lines up in the second row alongside Marcus Garratt, while the front row is all change, with Paul Doran Jones, Antonio TJ Harris and Will Stuart named to start up front.

The backline sees two changes to last weekend’s starting side, with Senior Academy players Jacob Umaga and Connor Eastgate both handed starts, at 10 and 12 respectively.

There are new faces on the bench, where Joe Simpson is added to the squad, Josh Grimes comes in on loan from Nottingham, alongside Wasps Academy’s George Thornton, David Langley and 17-year-old Taju Atta.

Wasps team to face Ospreys

15 - Owain James
14 - Aaron O’Sullivan
13 - Brendan Macken
12 - Jacob Umaga
11 - Guy Armitage
10 - Connor Eastgate
9 - Craig Hampson
1 - Paul Doran Jones
2 - Antonio TJ Harris
3 – Will Stuart
4 - Marcus Garratt
5 - Matt Symons
6 - Jack Willis (c)
7 - Will Owen
8 - Nizaam Carr

16 - Gabriel Oghre
17 - George Thornton
18 – David Langley
19 - Guy Borrowdale
20 - James Seabrook
21 - Joe Simpson
22 – Taju Atta
23 - Josh Grimes

Re: Teams up!
Gaz (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 11:45
Captain Jack! He's the future ...

Nomad_Wasp (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 11:47
Well let's go for it, see what some of the young guys can do.

I hope the pack can secure enough ball for Eastgate and Umaga to show us what they can do. They should, it's fairly handy.

FishingWasp (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 12:21
God to see Jack given the captaincy - he was certainly in the ref's ear last week.

wombles222 (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 12:57
Again win or lose I like the look of this team, we need to be blooding the youngsters while getting more established names match fit and up-to-speed. A good selection!

will311293 (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 13:37
Realise it might be a little optimistic but anyone know if this is being televised? Welsh teams are usually fairly prompt on streaming their games somewhere.

Heathen (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 13:39
I was told that the game is not being televised but it is on radio covergae from the Beeb.

Paul Smith 01 (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 16:40
Live blog at www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby

All the latest as it happens from 6.15pm plus post-match reaction

westwaleswasp (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 19:42
Slightly disappointed that we are loaning a player in, that is just wrong for my money, no different to the way teams play the Singha sevens with loan players and ringers. We should use the competition to develop players, but I would rather see us win this competition than the sevens, where we put a lot of stardust out, so I would have hoped for a bit more experience on the bench.

brandnewtorugby (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 21:21
Players working their way up through the leagues isn't a terrible route is it?

Heathen (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 22:19
It's a development competition, if you have not got a fit squad of 45 or more first teamers.

Interesting mix of players. Very pleased for Jack to get the captain's armband. Also Will Stuart getting a starting berth, Symons fit again.

10 November, 2017 00:33
Quote:
brandnewtorugby

No, but developing other club's players is not what the competition is about any more than playing first reamers. It should be a development competition, fully enforced as such, with a limit on first team players, and offering opportunity to our academy players is great. I would like to think that we could have avoided loaned players as we have fit first team players.

Marlow Nick (IP Logged)
10 November, 2017 01:24
West wales wasp,
Which do you want, a limit on first team players or avoiding bringing in a few external players? The only alternative option would be a larger squad / academy and then we would struggle to keep the players outside the first team interested with just the A league and the AW cup. If we play our first team we can’t give them a well earned rest and we get accused of not treating this as a development competition.
Feels like whatever we do will have to be a compromise.

Raggs (IP Logged)
10 November, 2017 04:30
Quote:
westwaleswasp
Quote:
brandnewtorugby

No, but developing other club's players is not what the competition is about any more than playing first reamers. It should be a development competition, fully enforced as such, with a limit on first team players, and offering opportunity to our academy players is great. I would like to think that we could have avoided loaned players as we have fit first team players.

Ben Harris was loaned in from Falcons and mostly played our a-league and AW games. He then got a full contract with us off the back of it. I very much doubt any player is upset with being offered a contract.

Other players from lower leagues have come on loan as guests and also gone on to be offered full contracts/academy contracts off the back of it.

For me it's a very valid way for a player to get game time he either a. wouldn't have got with his prem club. Or b. a chance for a player to get seriously looked at from a higher league and potentially earn himself a real contract.

Gaz (IP Logged)
10 November, 2017 06:43
Ospreys also treating it as a development competition. Could be a good game.

The Ospreys team to play Wasps at the Liberty Stadium on Friday 10th November 2017, KO 7.30pm, is as follows:

15 Phil Jones
14 Dafydd Howells
13 Tom Williams
12 Kieran Williams
11 Jay Baker
10 Luke Price (Capt)
9 Reuben Morgan-Williams
1 Gareth Thomas
2 Ifan Phillips
3 Rhodri Jones
4 James Ratti
5 Rory Thornton
6 Joe Tomalin-Reeves
7 Will Jones
8 Morgan Morris

REPLACEMENTS
16 Hugh Gustafson
17 Rowan Jenkins
18 Alex Jeffries
19 Matthew Dodd
20 Jay Williams
21 Matthew Aubrey
22 Cai Evans
23 Rhys Williams

The following players are making their Ospreys debuts:
Will Jones (213), Morgan Morris (214) and Tom Williams (215)

The following players are making their first Ospreys starts:
Ifan Phillips, Reuben Morgan-Williams and Kieran Williams

The following players will make their Ospreys debuts if they come off the bench:
Alex Jeffries, Matthew Dodd, Jay Williams, Cai Evans and Rhys Williams

10 November, 2017 07:32
If we are using it to look at someone we might sign, that is great.
I do think there should be a limit on first team players, which would stop some of the mis matches in the comp. We would be well under that limit, of course.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2017 07:35 by westwaleswasp.

MarleyWasp (IP Logged)
10 November, 2017 11:18
Only one player in on loan. We have two academy players in his position, both of whom are starting. Not sure what else the club can do...

10 November, 2017 18:43
Quote:
Heathen
I was told that the game is not being televised but it is on radio covergae from the Beeb.

Has anyone got a link for this? I'm not that tech savvy - but looked online, and can't find anything

Quote:
Paul Smith 01
Live blog at www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby
All the latest as it happens from 6.15pm plus post-match reaction

I'll be following your updates too Paul. Gutted I couldn't make it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2017 18:46 by A Destruction of Wasps.

10 November, 2017 19:03
Don't worry - found it on the BBC Sport app

10 November, 2017 19:19
Wasps 1st try!!!!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net