rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Wendyball club looking for new training ground
Gaz (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 12:43
Apparently, Aston Villa are looking for a new training ground because HS2 will run straight through their current facility.

Since there are two major sporting clubs in the region now looking to build state of the art training facilities I wonder if there is scope for a joint effort?

Re: Wendyball club looking for new training ground
Dgwasp (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 14:29
A tie up with Aston Villa would delight the CCFC fans even more I'm sure! Haha! grinning smiley

John Tee (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 15:38
What is Wendyball?

Trev's Big Tackle (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 16:16
Same as Diveball!

07 December, 2017 17:51
I think Coventry used to hate Villa when they played in the same league - lots of fights and charming songs, along the lines of "s*^t on the Villa" after matches, when I briefly lived near their previous ground, 25 ish years ago.....

WaspieFrank (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 06:48
Quote:
John Tee
What is Wendyball?
The one where they put the ball in the net, I love netball

ClaretAndBlueWasp (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 13:35
Coventry still hate the Villa probably more than they hate Wasps. It will still stick in the Coventry fans minds that it was Villa that sent them down and they have never recovered.

If both clubs are looking for some land to share Daw Mill colliery is available and right in between the two current training bases. Itís also conveniently only 5 minutes from my house so when my one year old is in both academies it will be easy to take him to training!

Sky Blue Wasp (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 16:46
It is a myth that Coventry City fans hate Wasps. I have lots of family and friends that go to Wasps that are Cov City fans, and know lots of others that follow both clubs. There are obviously a fair few that are anti wasps. But the extra support brought in far outweighs the bad. Just look at the posters on the Wasps fans Facebook page, a big chunk of them support both teams. SISU have a lot to answer for, however if they wasn't so incompetent Wasps wouldn't be around in the Midlands in their current form. Bit of a double edged sword supporting both teams!!

ElliesBoss (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 18:20
Quite SBW. Met quite a few Sky Blue fans over the last couple of years when doing a rugby weekend with the other half. Never had any bad encounters yet.

RossM (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 09:49
Certainly, most CCFC supporters are nothing like the meatheads on Sky Blues Talk. Even there, some write sense rather than spout hatred and bile.
Some of us here don't hide their distaste and contempt for football and it's followers. So we're not perfect.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2017 10:13 by RossM.

John Tee (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 14:41
Quite, I never get why some people who follow rugby don't seem to understand the nuances of other games, like football, for example.
Football has some problems with players pushing the rules... as does rugby, no doubt about that. From a playing point of view you'd need a higher skill set to play football.
Doesn't mean rugby isn't a great game in its own right either.

I'd think people who are genuinely sporty could relate to both.

Raggs (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 15:46
Quote:
John Tee
Quite, I never get why some people who follow rugby don't seem to understand the nuances of other games, like football, for example.
Football has some problems with players pushing the rules... as does rugby, no doubt about that. From a playing point of view you'd need a higher skill set to play football.
Doesn't mean rugby isn't a great game in its own right either.

I'd think people who are genuinely sporty could relate to both.

Not sure about a higher skill set to play football. Anyone with a leg can play football, albeit not necessarily well. Rugby, by sheer variety of requirements, must surely have a higher skill limit? I mean you can kick the ball in all directions, so there's 45% of footballs requirements, you don't header it. Defence is more complex for rugby in my mind, so that's another 45%, handling the ball is far more complex than what a goalkeeper is required to do, there's another 5%. Heading is about the only part that doesn't come across, but then footballers aren't required to ruck, scrum, take lineouts or offload.

I simply don't find most football games that interesting, which is fine, I'm sure if I had a club perhaps I'd be more excited by it, but then the prevalence of diving just kills me (as I'm sure it does most football fans).

John Tee (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 17:22
You have have a very advanced level of control of the ball in football, you simply can't compete at any reasonable level without it whereby in Rugby, some of your top players don't know what to do with a ball let alone perform the basics of catch and pass. Unless of course, you are quite happy to play a game where that isn't important.
England subscribed to that for years...whereby the sh always had the advantage there and Imo, still very much do..
But then again, their player pool doesn't feature very highly in football...Maybe all their best Athletes are in Rugby codes or Rules.

Sky Blue Wasp (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 17:34
Both sports have completely different skill sets so it's very hard to compare. Rugby certainly isn't for the feint hearted, I wouldn't fancy being on the receiving end of an Ashley Johnson tackle! Rugby is a lot more tactical aswell, you couldn't imagine Wayne Rooney being a master tactician on the Rugby pitch. I enjoy both sports, but agree the money players get these days make average players believe they are Rock Stars. When it comes to who I would rather watch out of the English national teams of both sports, unfortunately there is no comparison these days.

Raggs (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 19:10
Quote:
John Tee
You have have a very advanced level of control of the ball in football, you simply can't compete at any reasonable level without it whereby in Rugby, some of your top players don't know what to do with a ball let alone perform the basics of catch and pass. Unless of course, you are quite happy to play a game where that isn't important.
England subscribed to that for years...whereby the sh always had the advantage there and Imo, still very much do..
But then again, their player pool doesn't feature very highly in football...Maybe all their best Athletes are in Rugby codes or Rules.

It's a lot easier to master the single skill of ball control, than every single aspect of rugby. Yes, there are people on the pitch that are poor with the ball (I'd bet they're pretty good in non-match fatigued conditions), but due to the huge range of required skills, I'd bet that anyone with poor ball skills is rather useful in a number of other skills. In football it's ball/foot skills or you're not in the sport.

John Tee (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 19:29
Which is why those skills are going to pretty advanced.
But if you asked me which game I'm looking forward this weekend it will be wasps....and more so to see if Cipriani can continue to impress on his comeback.
Since he is by far the best 10 England have, on form, and by some distance, you'd have to want to pay to see him. The rest of the backs are great foils as well, but Cipriani makes holes in defences no one else does...
If you get a really good game in either sport you'll be thoroughlly entertained and buzzing from it, Imo.
Not so much if you are an England fan though...lol

John Tee (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 11:20
Also, and abit ot, of course getting smashed by Johnson wouldn't be something you'd relish but rugby allows big guys to play... But has the game got too big..?
Some guys are playing with a bulk that they can't drag beyond 60 mins.
Who is that 24St lump playing in Scotland...? They can't get him on the pitch for more than 20 mins....but he causes carnage in that time.
Should substitutions be used like that whereby you could virtually introduce a new pack for the second half..?
It allows for ppl to bulk up because they'll never be used or be able to play a full game..
I think the sub rule needs looking at otherwise you are heading for a game for huge units only...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net