rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
V La Rochelle, Team, Match thread and pre+post game thoughts!
wombles222 (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 14:35
Well Europe is back! And on what looks like a windy and wet day in France we shall lock horns with the top team from the Top14!

I cannot help but wonder what would be deemed an "acceptable" result for us? Of course an away win would be manna from heaven, and with 5 points after 2 rounds so far, and La Rochelle currently on 10 points, would a LBP/TBP and reducing La Rochelle to a 4 point win be OK? will our group produce a best runner up? Or will the ability of the 4 teams mean that only Group winner goes through?

Lots of permutations to get stuck into. I hope we can really take the game to La Rochelle, If we try to contain them we will lose, they are mightily impressive this term! However if we have a crack, play with Tempo and run them all over the place (especially their forward pack) and force our game onto them we have a chance!

I CANNOT WAIT!

Re: V La Rochelle, Team, Match thread and pre+post game thoughts!
WaspieKev (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 14:53
They have a huge pack but not much dynamism within it other than Victor Vito and their 7 whose name escapes me at the moment. Rene Ranger on the wing is a very dangerous player of course but if we can snaffle enough ball and run them around a lot we certainly have a chance, especially if DC plays like he did against the Tigers. They didnt get a try BP against Montpellier last week and only scored late on to seal the match so we should definitely go there and be confident of winning. They have a similar home record to ours until Quins took it, so they're due a loss sometime soon, so why not Sunday? COYW!!

Jack9909 (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 15:10
I'll be going hoping for a TBP and the boys to put on a good show. Not expecting a result as I think they look one of the top teams in Europe this season, so any points on top of what will be a great weekend is a bonus!

bournender2 (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 15:28
Their No 7 against Montpelier was a Fijian, who looked just a bit quick and then the commentators said he had been playing in the centre for Fiji the previous week??

CB Wasp (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 16:18
If we can come out of the first 20 minutes in touching distance or even slightly ahead then i think we have a good chance of leaving with some points.
We have performed well in France in recent years so I believe we have reasons to be optimistic.

wasp87 (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 16:22
Think the 7 would be Botia - remember seeing him last year and he was immense cropping up everywhere

bournender2 (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 16:23
Sirs
This will probably encourage some discussion?

@ Stade Marcel Deflandre
Referee: John Lacey (Ireland)
Assistant referees: David Wilkinson (Ireland), Kieran Barry (Ireland)
TMO: Simon McDowell (Ireland)

kentwasp1 (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 19:08
Agree with Wombles - I so love European rugby and this is a lip smacker. Wonderful swashbuckling French team against an, er, swashbuckling English team.
All up for grabs.
Loved Hasks article today in DT - v Tongue in cheek . Plan A is to park team bus to deny access to the ground
[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Beasties (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 19:22
Quote:
bournender2
Sirs
This will probably encourage some discussion?

@ Stade Marcel Deflandre
Referee: John Lacey (Ireland)
Assistant referees: David Wilkinson (Ireland), Kieran Barry (Ireland)
TMO: Simon McDowell (Ireland)
Are you serious? John Flipping Lacey?!?!?!?

Zero points it is then.

Bracken&Macken (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 19:47
They are a really top drawer side, explosive power mixed with lightening pace. Should be an absolute corker of a game as we seem to enjoy French shores and we essentially have very little to lose.

However....Lacey will ping us off the park. Dreadful ref with a hatred of the English, won't be pretty as am sure he will look to card someone early doors so he gets his TV time in early.

Still, one can dream....

WaspieKev (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 20:06
Lacey is one of the best useless refs around. Still, if we don't give him an excuse to blow his whistle then it takes the pressure off us.......I hope!

New_Wasp (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 20:49
Quote:
WaspieKev
Lacey is one of the best useless refs around. Still, if we don't give him an excuse to blow his whistle then it takes the pressure off us.......I hope!

Isn't that problem... he doesn't blow his whistle and allows a free for all at the breakdown. If he's like he was at the Toulouse game last season we won't get any quick ball at all.

Heathen (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 21:13
Any team that has Brock James at 10 is going to be pretty useful.

kentwasp1 (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 21:46
Quote:
Bracken&amp;Macken
They are a really top drawer side, explosive power mixed with lightening pace. Should be an absolute corker of a game as we seem to enjoy French shores and we essentially have very little to lose.
However....Lacey will ping us off the park. Dreadful ref with a hatred of the English, won't be pretty as am sure he will look to card someone early doors so he gets his TV time in early.

Still, one can dream....

Hatred of the English . Dreadful. Others call him useless. Really depresses me. Even before the game starts this sort of nasty negative vitriolic pointless comments start.

Let's savour the game, be honourable in defeat, magnanimous in victory, but not be like this ffs, before the whistle even goes

ukms (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 22:11
Quote:
Bracken&amp;Macken

However....Lacey will ping us off the park. Dreadful ref with a hatred of the English, won't be pretty as am sure he will look to card someone early doors so he gets his TV time in early. ..

With the greatest of respect what do you base all of that waffle on ?? ...

You sound like youíre sewing the seeds for an excuse should we lose (which I donít think we will).

Makings of a decent game, it will be close and I think our fitness will shine through on this, the last 20 could be close and crucial.

With our pool not having a whipping boy I suspect only the pool winner will go through, so a loss with no BP could be curtains on Europe.

Andy1210 (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 23:17
I think we should enjoy the occasion. In a lot of ways itís win/win - a LBP or win puts us in a good place in the group, whilst a defeat with no points will put La Rochelle well clear and we can put all our efforts into the AP.

waspie08 (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 23:32
The negative comments about Lacey are based on how he has reffed Wasps and other English teams. I hesitate to call people cheats but his bias seems clear and predictable. His performance against Toulouse last year was lamentable, basically allowing the French to freely infringe and slow the breakdown, ruining any attempt of Wasps to play a quick game. I too, when I saw he was in charge, feel we will do well to get anything out of this game - pessimistic or realistic... we'll see - would love to be proved wrong.

Gaz (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 06:48
What time is kick off? BT Sport broadcast starts at 12:30 so I'm guessing 1pm gmt? Offie has it as 2pm but that could be local time ...

PhilH (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 07:09
Quote:
Gaz
What time is kick off? BT Sport broadcast starts at 12:30 so I'm guessing 1pm gmt? Offie has it as 2pm but that could be local time ...
14.00 local.

wombles222 (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 09:17
The moment we start blaming the ref we have lost, they do an exceptionally difficult job with a highly complex amount of rules to be managed at lightning speed. Without them the game would not exist, and to put themselves out there week in week out is to be admired and credited. Yes they make mistakes, but to err is human. They should be given more credit and cut far more slack than the modern rugby supporter gives them, perhaps the critics should pick up the whistle rather than slap down those that are brave enough to do so.

Anyway....
Nerves getting up now! I love fridays as the whole weekend of rugby is ahead!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2017 09:18 by wombles222.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net