rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

In praise of YY
waspie08 (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 16:31
Happy NY to one and all!
I have had a binge recently of watching recent Wasps games on TV. Some great rugby and fine individual performances but someone who has stood out for me has been Thomas Young. Not only has he played really well but I think his role as an almost old-fashioned, linking no 7/openside is absolutely central to how Wasps want to play.
It is the fashion in NH teams to play big bruising back-rows who like O'Brien or Robshaw or our own Hasks are fine players but whose ability to keep a move going, to add a crucial final pass and to slip into the backs almost like another centre is limited, at best. Thomas Young fills that role superbly and in recent games has either been there to receive the final pass and score or often to give the final pass to allow a back to score eg - Watson's second try against Bath.
If you are going to play a quick open game, keeping the ball alive and in motion then a proper openside is crucial and YY fills that role in a way I cannot think any other player in the prem currently does. Martin Williams for Wales or Neil Back of Tigers and England would be role-models for him. I am not saying he is as good as them yet but he plays a similar role and it allows Wasps to play the way they do. A lot of credit must go to Dai who clearly saw the need for such a player, saw that Young jnr could do it, and he moved Hasks to no 6 even though he was the England 7.
I absolutely love the way Wasps play and hope they are successful; not just because they are my team but the style they provide is so exciting and through them maybe the role of a "proper" openside flanker will make a revival in this hemisphere (NZ ands Oz still see the value).

Re: In praise of YY
Dgwasp (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 17:17
I agree completely, we struggled earlier this season in games where we had to play a decent amount of game time with Hask and AJ as flankers. They both put in decent shifts but the lack of speed and agility really hampered our ability to play the way we do. Our upturn in form then coincided with the return to fitness of YY and Guy.

John Tee (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 17:58
On his game he seems involved in everything. And quick enough for a break too.
I'm pretty sure Wales will call him up for the 6Ns and if not, can England have him.
Having said that, Jones would either not pick him or ruin him.

backdoc (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 19:09
Willis is in the same mould, perhaps more abrasive and less good so far at linking, but the line looks secure!
Willis junior is bigger so go to 6?

StevieWasp (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 21:23
He's already committed to Wales so we can't have him.

However I was about to start a post saying that I think he'll get called up for the 6 nations due to the number of back row injuries that Wales are currently facing, Lydiate being the latest.

If he doesn't get picked, I think it'll just be political because he's not playing in Wales, even though their new rules don't apply to him

John Tee (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 21:38
I was joking about him playing for England. He is Welsh...no other option for him, even with the current flakey residency rules over qualifying.

Gaz (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 11:23
At least there is a clear rationale for Wales not picking him, if that were the case. Even if we don't agree with it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net