rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Here's one for you statists!
RossM (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 10:18
&#8207;
"Willie le Roux assisted 17 tries in @premrugby in 2017, at least six more than any other player".

Unselfish.

Re: Here's one for you statists!
Hucks (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 10:24
He was immense in bath game. Whoever on here called him wally again in that thread...well I'm not sure what else you want really. The pass for watson try was immense

will311293 (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 10:48
Really think over the end of 2017 he really stepped up his play and actually started showing his creativity and potential as a distributor like Beale did.. working really nicely with Cips and those two combined with Eastmond/JdeJ as well as Gopps/Daly and Robson really gives us flow and creativity in the backline.

Gaz (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 11:14
Fantastic going forwards, loves a mis-timed tackle when defending. Which can be terminal for a full-back.

But he fits Wasps style, high risk, high reward. Often it comes off, sometimes it doesn't. What is good enough for Cips is good enough for WLR in my view and I'm enjoying watching them.

Hangover (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 11:55
I hate to say it, but some people have very rose tinted glasses. Yes he can do some sublime things at times, but don't forget for large parts of this and last season (the starts) he has done some atrocious stuff that has cost us dear. I like him, but he is nowhere near perfect.

JF (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 12:06
Quote:
RossM
&#8207;
"Willie le Roux assisted 17 tries in @premrugby in 2017, at least six more than any other player".

Unselfish.

Does that only include tries we have scored?

He's been better of late but we still see traces of his evil twin, Wally.

RossM (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 12:24
Does that only include tries we have scored?

Of course. Silly question.

He's been better of late but we still see traces of his evil twin, Wally.

If his name was Danny rather than Willie, what play on his name would you make?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2018 13:09 by RossM.

ricohchezwasp (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 12:33
Quote:
Hangover
I hate to say it, but some people have very rose tinted glasses. Yes he can do some sublime things at times, but don't forget for large parts of this and last season (the starts) he has done some atrocious stuff that has cost us dear. I like him, but he is nowhere near perfect.

This is the crux and why Eddie Jones wonít pick cipriani
He wants 80-90 percent players who donít make mistakes follow plans and perform consistently ..... no room for genius .... howlers are much more easily remembered and recalled .... but I want to watch skilful exciting rugby players and therefore except the charge down the bad pass and occasional brain fa£t

Not a Doctor and not a troll!!

Gaz (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 13:19
My thoughts exactly, Ricoh.

We were briefly linked with Mike Brown a summer or two ago so be careful what you wish for!

John Tee (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 14:03
Winning games because of Cipriani and WLR. The former sees a wider picture and the charge down against LR was the first for a long time...last season, iirc.
I just say he offers much more than say Ford does...who is also susceptible to a charge down.
What do you want from a number 10... A constant source of points which wasps are getting.
To have a 9 and 10 playing poorly isn't desirable.. And losing games is what Tigers are doing.
Hmmmm.
If you look at the tries Wasps score, most come about from outnumbering the defence in the first instance and then it is scramble defence thereafter.

Jones is Jones and he is wasting English talents and presumably has the backing of the Rfu.
But quite a few fans are getting nervous.
I keep saying it...see how the 6Ns goes and it may not go well if our last few games are anything to go by.

westwaleswasp (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 14:35
I would pick WLR at his best over Charles P. We are closer to seeing the real WLR now than ever. He has some lovely touches going forward of late, and Josh/Elliott/Marcus really benefit from his ability to offload or draw the man plus that languid acceleration. That tackle vs La Rochelle home I think was one of the best I have seen. All he has to do is to be a bit more solid under the high ball, which I think was a confidence issue. Even Josh Lewsey had bad patches, fifteen is an exposed position at the best of times.

RossM (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 14:53
Firstly, I must admit that I have always been a WLR fan. Though he did try my patience in his first season. Seemed to have lost confidence and didn't appear to be enjoying his rugby at all.

This season he seems to be getting better and better. And I certainly would put him above Charles P - at least he passessmiling smiley

That offload to Marcus Watson for his first try against Bath was perfect. WLR took out/negated three Bath defenders with that pass and really all Marcus had to do was catch it and run in!

Definitely enjoying his rugby now.

Hymenoptera (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 15:01
Quote:
Hangover

And some need to polish theirs.

WLR is class, his distribution and game reading is top draw..he's made mistakes but who hasn't, Cips def has and he's godlike in these parts.

Hangover (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 16:06
I would personally take Beale over WLR just because his error rate was so low and he still had LR's class. Charles P is a different beast IMO, much more a centre than a 15, but he would be in my squad all season long.

John Tee (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 19:32
Love WLR in the form he is in now. Glad we could keep him over Beale as I think he offers a bit more and I also think we are more potent...but hey, Beale brought plenty.

I just think there is more balance this year...and you need solid tacklers in the centre. That is something Cipriani has added...he gets mucky even if he is never going to be a rock every game. Farrell is a good tackler but he has to be because he is lacking elsewhere bar his world class kicking, but if you want an attack to stall...put Farrell in the loop..
Certainly by comparison with the guys we are talking about.
Love WLR...and I think the defence coaches have hammered into the backs not to give away cheap points...
If they can do that, then the gains you get from them can be massive because players like them don't exist in many teams at all.
If they can cut down the mistakes to 5-7 points in a couple of games a season, then that is as good as anyone else will do... but with the bonus that they'll contribute loads of points.
So lucky to have both WLR and Cipriani...so lucky indeed, Imo.

Boooo (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 20:11
He's definitely been working on his mindset and psychology.
He appears stronger in mind recently...and has better bouncebackability and resilience when things don't go his way.
These are all teachable skills.
But it needs the self awareness in the first place to realise he had a problem (where both his head and form dipped) and then the gumption to seek out the right person and work on certain elements of mind management, stress management and perspective.

Hats off to him for putting in some work.
I hope he sustains it throughout the season and beyond.

The term 'confidence' player is normally given to a player who has bags of potential, but has invested little time in mind management and sports psychology. But these days it looks like it is becoming part of the overall coaching package, which is great.

But don't tell Northampton...just yet!!

Hymenoptera (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 21:31
For me it isn't even the nice big plays that we see from him, its the little things and he's such a threat that he has offered something even if he hasn't touched the ball because every defence is aware of him.
The fact that he is such a good distributor offers Cips more options and time to create something so its a bigger effect than just the end result.

I'd take him over Beale all day long but agree, Charles is a game changer, would be tough for me being a big fan of both.

Raggs (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 06:39
Don't know who I'd pick between Beale and WLR, WLR is now in his 2nd season with us, meaning more time to bed in, had Beale got that same chance, I think he'd look even better.

StevieWasp (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 07:44
Quote:
Raggs
Don't know who I'd pick between Beale and WLR, WLR is now in his 2nd season with us, meaning more time to bed in, had Beale got that same chance, I think he'd look even better.

I'd have WlR at 15, Beale at 12, Piutau at 13.

Robson, Cipriani, Daly, Beale, Piutau, Wade, WlR

That's just a mental crazy back line.
Who's the slowest in that backline? Beale/Piutau?

Raggs (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 08:03
Quote:
StevieWasp
Quote:
Raggs

I'd have WlR at 15, Beale at 12, Piutau at 13.

Robson, Cipriani, Daly, Beale, Piutau, Wade, WlR

That's just a mental crazy back line.
Who's the slowest in that backline? Beale/Piutau?

I'd swap Daly and Piutau in that lineup. I'm desperate to try and put Eastmond in too, but can't make it work.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net