rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Matt Symons
Jack9909 (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 11:44
"Done deal" to Quins according to Goodey on his podcast, hope it's not true but he's a man in the know being so close to the club...

If true, would we need to recruit another 2nd row or are gask, myall and rowlands sufficient?

Re: Matt Symons
Raggs (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 11:46
We'd need a 5th, but it needn't be a big name (do we have an academy lock?), Rowlands has really shown up well.

will311293 (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 11:49
Would be really disappointed to lose Symons ... I personally rate him over Myall and potentially Gaskell... I'd hope we bring in someone just as good if we do lose him.

TW2Wasp (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 12:15
That could be why he has been a last minute withdrawal from two of the last three games against Quins. He was out injured for the other one.

ricohchezwasp (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 12:34
Spend the money on Rowlands and keeping Bassett Symons is too often injured and if he wants to go let him

Not a Doctor and not a troll!!

Spikey910 (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 12:45
I like Symons, but when we have Joe playing I'd rather Launch was teamed with athletic, better ball playing locks such as Myall or Gaskell. When we don't have Joe, Matt S gives us the power and grunt we miss, but Rowlands also offers that and is developing well. When everybody's fit and available, does Matt Symons make the 23?

Beasties (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 12:46
I'd be sorry to see him go. Rowlands is only two years younger than him, there seems to be a vague idea on here that Rowlands has only just turned 20 for some reason, maybe it's his boyish good looks? Of all our locks Myall would be the one I'd let go if given a choice. Symons is our best tight forward. I'd imagine he'll be on a fair wage though so maybe Dai is looking to strengthen elsewhere with the funds.

jonnydeane (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 12:48
Unless we don't want him anymore, which I strongly doubt is the case or they're offering him some serious money why would he leave for Quins?
Would be a big loss is bterms of physicality in the pack and when hitting rucks.

We also have Garratt remember but he's hardly had any game time over the years and when on the bench during times of injury crisis he was barely used.

Would love a massive guy to come in with some real grunt

Bzzzz (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 12:51
Interesting comments.... have a look at which locks are in the 23 when the team wins and which locks are in the 23 when we lose..... I know which ones I would choose.

Raggs (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 13:00
Quote:
Bzzzzz
Interesting comments.... have a look at which locks are in the 23 when the team wins and which locks are in the 23 when we lose..... I know which ones I would choose.

I never knew that it was just down to the 3 locks!

Gaz (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 13:09
Would prefer to keep him but if he left it wouldn't be a disaster - I imagine Dai thinks similar.

With Launch on England duty we would be short with just Myall, Gask and Rowlands, an injury or two would leave us down to the bare bones. Garratt played against Sarries and didn't look out of place so I think its time for Dai to trust the squad and give them a chance.

Bzzzz (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 13:14
Pedantry is silly....

Look at the stats. Which players play when we win and which players play when we lose. That would be my starting point when deciding which players are worthy of selection. The lock situation speaks clearly from the stats. Of the several locks that we have at Wasps, certain ones are selected when we win and certain players are selected when we lose. The same for every position. It's a convoluted picture at first but you can extrapolate the information if you can be bothered - rather than just making silly comments.

I think the comments like ' He's a very nice guy having spoken to him after the game...' is not how I would go about deciding who was the most effective player, worthy of a spot in the match day 23, in any position.

backdoc (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 13:15
Garratt certainly looks powerful.

Raggs (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 13:24
Quote:
Bzzzzz
Pedantry is silly....
Look at the stats. Which players play when we win and which players play when we lose. That would be my starting point when deciding which players are worthy of selection. The lock situation speaks clearly from the stats. Of the several locks that we have at Wasps, certain ones are selected when we win and certain players are selected when we lose. The same for every position. It's a convoluted picture at first but you can extrapolate the information if you can be bothered - rather than just making silly comments.

I think the comments like ' He's a very nice guy having spoken to him after the game...' is not how I would go about deciding who was the most effective player, worthy of a spot in the match day 23, in any position.

I don't think seeing which individual has the best win % is very sensible either. If it was, we'd never have signed Symons in the first place, considering he came from a demoted London Irish (20% win record there).

Joe Launchbury has our worst win record, Symons has the best but has played equal fewest games alongside Rowlands. Rowlands, Myall and Gaskell are all within 4% of each other.

Gaz (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 13:31
Quote:
Bzzzzz

Which ones are they then?

Bzzzz (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 13:32
I agree re- Garrett. Big strong lad with youth on his side. Rowlands is also someone we must keep and how Gaskell has not been selected for England I do not know. Hopefully with a bit of game time and no injuries he will get the chance to show what he is good at.

There are players with attributes that go largely unnoticed. It is about game management, getting players in the right positions to defend, knowing when to commit and when to leave it alone, being in the right place at the right time to make the interventions that make the opposition change their line of attack, or defence. Cips has this in spades but so too do many of the work horses in the team that go unnoticed but contribute to the overall success. These little intricacies are what make rugby such an interesting sport to watch, when even for example, just the body position of a defending player can make the difference between a try, a knock on, or a pass to nowhere......

Hymenoptera (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 14:57
Quote:
Bzzzzz
Pedantry is silly....

Do the opposition come into this equation?

westwaleswasp (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 15:09
My thoughts exactly.

ukms (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 15:18
Quote:
Jack9909
"Done deal" to Quins according to Goodey on his podcast, hope it's not true but he's a man in the know being so close to the club...
If true, would we need to recruit another 2nd row or are gask, myall and rowlands sufficient?

If you listen to some of his podcasts he also takes great delight in throwing baseless rumours around to see how far they spread ..... Iím not saying itís the case but worth keeping in mind smiling smiley

bg (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 15:40
If (and its a big if) its true does that mean Horwill is on his way out of Quins, back to Oz perhaps.

Nothing on the Quins site

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net