Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Team's up
matelot22 (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 11:57
Wasps team to play Harlequins

Joe Launchbury, Kyle Eastmond and Simon McIntyre all return to Wasps’ starting line-up to face Harlequins in the crucial European Champions Cup pool one meeting at the Stoop tomorrow afternoon (5.15pm).

Club captain Launchbury has recovered from a heavy cold to partner James Gaskell in the engine room, while last week’s skipper Ashley Johnson joins McIntyre and Jake Cooper-Woolley in the front row.

England international Eastmond combines with Brendan Macken in the centre, while Guy Armitage who made a good impression from the bench against Saracens last week, retains the No.23 shirt.

Elsewhere, rugby director Dai Young has named unchanged back-row, half-back and back three combinations for a third consecutive week.

This means Christian Wade makes his 150th appearance on the right wing, while James Haskell represents Wasps for a 50th time in Europe from the blindside flank.

A black-and-gold bench featuring plenty of experience includes Joe Simpson, Guy Thompson, Kearnan Myall and Rob Miller, who collectively have made 500 Wasps appearances.

Young believes successes against Harlequins, and next weekend when Ulster visit the Ricoh Arena, to be the minimum requirement if his club are to progress to the quarter-finals for a fourth consecutive season.

“We definitely need two wins, we may even need nine points which would mean we need to get a bonus-point from somewhere,” he says.

“We've just got to look to win the games and if we're in a position where we can push for a bonus-point in the last 15 minutes, so be it.

“It's always a tight game against Quins and we don't expect anything different this weekend even though the competition is over for them.

“I think they'd quite enjoy putting a dent in our ambitions as well, so we're not expecting any favours. We know it's going to be a tough game and we know we're going to have to play some good stuff.”

15. Willie Le Roux
14. Christian Wade
13. Brendan Macken
12. Kyle Eastmond
11. Marcus Watson
10. Danny Cipriani
9. Dan Robson
1. Simon McIntyre
2. Ashley Johnson
3. Jake Cooper-Woolley
4. Joe Launchbury ©
5. James Gaskell
6. James Haskell
7. Thomas Young
8. Nizaam Carr

16. Tom Cruse
17. Ben Harris
18. Marty Moore
19. Kearnan Myall
20. Guy Thompson
21. Joe Simpson
22. Rob Miller
23. Guy Armitage

Re: Team's up
NellyWellyWaspy (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 12:00

15. Mike Brown (Vice-captain, 292)
14. Charlie Walker (81)
13. Alofa Alofa (44)
12. Jamie Roberts (45)
11. Tim Visser (51)
10. James Lang (13)
9. Danny Care (237)

1. Lewis Boyce (11)
2. Dave Ward (Captain, 133)
3. Kyle Sinckler (112)
4. George Merrick (75)
5. Ben Glynn (15)
6. James Chisholm (46)
7. Archie White (11)
8. Renaldo Bothma (5)

16. Elia Elia (11)
17. Mark Lambert (221)
18. Phil Swainston (6)
19. Charlie Matthews (153)
20. Mat Luamanu (57)
21. Dave Lewis (6)
22. Marcus Smith (17)
23. Ross Chisholm (84)

Bzzzzz (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 12:04
2 main threats are Ward and Roberts. The latter has been putting in some big hits in recent games, not all necessarily legal in my mind, so will need to contain their enthusiasm with some massive hits on them early on, before they get into their stride.

matelot22 (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 12:05
Quins still taking it seriously then. I thin we should get the win still.

StevieWasp (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 12:13
I'm impressed with the starting XV we're putting out.
The bench isn't our usual strength

However, Harris was impressive against Saracens as was Guy Armitage, so this may well work out

Nigel Med (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 12:19
Given our injuries I'm pleasantly surprised at how strong both our starting 15 and replacements look. I am however also surprised at the strength of the team that Quins have put out given they have nothing to play for. I wouldn't expect them to do us any favours but given their yo-yo form in the Premiership you might have expected them to rest one or two, they look close to full strength.

Still confident we will get the win, I can't see them having quite the motivation that we should have. Our bench might be key to getting the BP.

Beardy Wasp (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 12:22
I was hoping Quins would take the day off but they've picked a strong side. We have our work cut out here.

Raggs (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 12:32
I'd think that if we can get a lead quickly, Quins might be a little less urgent. If they're still in it with 20, I think we may struggle.

kentwasp1 (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 12:48
Echo other posters - amazing team considering the injuries. Do not understand Quins selection at all. Out of the competition, yet within 6 points of Premiership top 4 place so why not save their powder?

Just (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 12:54
They were never going to throw the match, it's at home and against Wasps, that's enough reason for tehm to put out a strong team against us, also it's not a bad idea to keep playing yourselves back into form, particularly if your opposition are weakened by injuries

Raggs (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 12:55
It's still a home game, don't want to be embarrassed. Rest the players that have niggles or too many minutes, give the rest a game, and maybe rotate for La Roch.

John Tee (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 12:58
Glad WLR made it. And good that Eastmond is back.
Goes without saying about skip too.

Buzzboy (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 12:58
Good strong team and bench.
Quins bench Smith, Matthews and Luamana. No Robshaw. No Marler.
Not their strongest team by any means. We HAVE to get a W and BP.

UniWasp (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 13:14
Looking forward to seeing Eastmond link with Wade and Watson for some lovely tries! Also happy that Armitage is back in the squad, hopefully he has another good game and this can be a base for him to develop further and try to break into the match day squad more often

Buzzil (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 13:36
Another chance for Robson to teach Care about the art of being a SH

Heathen (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 13:37
Happy with that matchday squad. I fancy our lads will be up for this one.

Hangover (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 13:43
As usual we need to watch Quins smashing holes around the breakdown, they are great at it.

The niggle should not be as bad without Marler and Robshaw. But that is not a side that will go meekly into the night.

Could be a tough, but our side looks good and we MUST have a win.

Can't wait to get to the Stoop.

COYW (Sm128)

wombles222 (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 14:55
If we want to progress in this tournament then this is the sort of game we must win! Quins will be a great challenge, and they do have some omph on the bench to make an impact, as do we, so this all sets it up for a tasty 80 minutes of rugger!

I am more relieved about the midfield, however just like last week when Gaby and then De Jong broke down, a couple of injuries can cause problems! Kyle and Macken must be prepared to play the full 80!

I cannot wait!

DGPWasp (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 14:57
Was I alone in thinking Quins were never going to put a significantly weakened team out. They can only select from their ERC squad to start with. They are at home against a team they love to beat and will want to reward the fans in that respect. They may rest more next week. Anyone carrying even a slight niggle will not be risked, and Marler has to sit it out anyway. Given that the LV Cup follows these European rounds there will be plenty of opportunity for rest. Wasps will have all the motivation though, but by the same token they also have all the pressure. Attack, attack, attack. Get those 4 tries and more besides as it could have a bearing in determining best placed runners up. Doesn't matter if Quins score a hatful themselves as long as we score more.

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 15:43
That's a poor reward for Armitage who was exceptional against us.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing