rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
We broke the salary cap.
Raggs (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 14:07
By 40k, no evidence it was malicious. Guess pay per play, expected international allowances etc didn't happen as expected?

[www.premiershiprugby.com]

We'll pay a fine of £20,264.

Re: We broke the salary cap.
Anonymous User (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 14:12
the trolls will be along shortly...

COYW15 (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 14:13
Oops, very disappointing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2018 14:13 by COYW15.

Old Geezer (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 14:15
I have no idea how fines are calculated but I would be interested to know which, if any, clubs have been fined previously although I suspect this info is not public. I am thinking about the previous alleged misdemeanours of Sarries and Bath even though as far as I can recall it was never made public whether they had actually breached the cap.

COYW15 (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 14:17
Quote:
Old Geezer
I have no idea how fines are calculated .

50p for every £1 over the cap.

Raggs (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 14:17
This will be down to the new agreement, put in place after the Sarries/Bath debacle. Basically there was the introduction of an overrun tax (I believe you are allowed upto 5% over the cap), so 5% of the cap is about 350k, so we were well within that, hence just pay the "tax".

I'd guess this is due to the fact that you get allowances for England players, which you obviously can only guess before hand, and injuries will mean you don't get them as expected. I'd guess pay per play deals may cause a double impact there.

ricohchezwasp (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 14:21
I blame Eddie

Not a Doctor and not a troll!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2018 14:22 by ricohchezwasp.

RossM (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 14:32
So we exceeded the cap by approximately 0.6% (if my math is correct). Shock, horror.

Raggs (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 14:32
Here we go:

[d2cx26qpfwuhvu.cloudfront.net]

10 Overrun Tax

10.1 Any Overrun (being up to £324,999.99) shall be dealt with in accordance with this Regulation

10. Whereas any breach of the Regulations in relation to Salary exceeding the Senior Ceiling or Academy Ceiling above the 5% threshold (in 2016/2017 £325,000 or more) shall be dealt with in accordance with Regulation 12.

10.2 Where the Salary Cap Manager is of the reasonable opinion that a Club has incurred an
Overrun the Salary Cap Manager shall serve on the relevant Club a written summary notice
(the “Summary Notice”) shall:

(a) Identify the relevant provision(s) of the Regulations which has resulted in the Club
exceeding the Senior Ceiling or Academy Ceiling;

(b) Describe the nature and amount of the alleged Overrun;

(c) Provide a statement of facts to be relied upon;

(d) Provide copies of all documents or other evidence relied upon or referred to in the
Summary Notice; and

(e) Offer the Club the option to accept the automatic Overrun tax in accordance with
Regulation 10.3, with no further sanction;

10.3 The Overrun tax shall be set at the following values:

Level of Overrun Overrun Tax
£0 to £49,999.99 £0.50 for every £1 overspend
£50,000 to £199,999.99 £1 for every £1 overspend
Over £200,000 £3 for every £1 overspend

Daeg (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 14:38
Badge of pride as far as I am concerned. We owned it, we pay the price, we hold our heads high.

Raggs (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 14:39
Looks like it's setup so that a small error (under 1%) gets a slap on the wrist, a squad players wages worth is a bit more of a punishment, and if you've tried to sign a top quality player, he's going to cost you 3x as much as you'd planned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2018 14:40 by Raggs.

Moorio_Wasp (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 14:39
Why did prem rugby have to put out a statement naming us (not that i disagree with the sentiment) but a couple years ago simply stated ‘3 un-named clubs’?

Daeg (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 14:45
Quote:
Moorio_Wasp
Why did prem rugby have to put out a statement naming us (not that i disagree with the sentiment) but a couple years ago simply stated ‘3 un-named clubs’?

Perhaps because unlike the '3 un-named clubs' we have nothing to hide and won't throw a tantrum if we get named? Just saying.

PhilH (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 14:55
Something to be proud of - being transparent. No attempt to hide the issue, pay the fine and move on. But that EJ chap has a lot to answer for!

Gaz (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 14:56
Still hold the moral high ground as far as i am concerned. We broke the rules by a very small material margin, which leads me to believe it was an administrative error, and we accept the punishment.

Nomad_Wasp (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 15:15
We didn't declare it, the auditors found it - so it's hardly us being transparent.

Time to rein in the accusations about other clubs now.

wombles222 (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 15:16
Absolutely agree that we can hold our heads high, as noted no deliberate error occured. But it was noted and we paid the tax, and we also have the decency of admitting our errors through honesty and transparency. Nothing to worry about at all.

Beardy Wasp (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 15:23
I expect SBT will use this as further evidence that we are about to go bust smiling smiley

Bracken&Macken (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 15:25
As I have stated previously, there is no Salary Cap, there is an amount which if you breach you pay a tax.

Curiously...if Sam Jones played all 3 autumn internationals would we have been Ok?

Raggs (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 15:29
Quite possibly if Jones had been involved we'd have been ok.

There is a cap. After the 5% overrun there's further punishments. Just going over 200k looks to be extremely expensive.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net