rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Team's up
matelot22 (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 12:02
Quartet return to boost Wasps' Premiership hopes

James Gaskell captains Wasps at Harlequins when the Aviva Premiership resumes on Sunday following a four-week break.

The matchday 23 named by rugby director Dai Young is boosted by the return from injury of Jimmy Gopperth, Matt Mullan, Gaby Lovobalavu and Nathan Hughes.

This quartet are joined on a power-packed bench by Ashley Johnson, Joe Simpson, Marty Moore and Tommy Taylor.

Last week’s Anglo-Welsh Cup man-of-the-match Jack Willis shifts from No.8 to the blindside flank, while Tom Cruse, who picked up the same award following the recent European Cup win over Ulster, starts at hooker.

Behind the scrum, Young makes only one change to the line-up that claimed a bonus point success over the Northern Irishmen.

This sees fit-again Josh Bassett, who claimed an Anglo-Welsh brace from the bench against Leicester last Sunday, selected on the left wing.

Young said the round 14 clash launches a sequence which he believes could define Wasps’ season.

“We have a block of four games now which will pretty much determine where we're going to sit in the league,” he said.

“If we can get the results we want we should be sitting comfortably in the top four after which we can push for the top two in the last three or four games.

“But if we don't get these results right, we're probably going to be fighting to get into that top four.

“When we played at the Stoop last month we dominated the game for 55 minutes, then let it slip, so it is essential we play for the full 80 minutes against them tomorrow.

“That result also knocked us out of Europe. The boys will carry that hurt with them this week and if we play to the best of our ability we're more than capable of going anywhere and winning.”

Wasps team to play Harlequins

15. Willie Le Roux

14. Christian Wade

13. Juan De Jongh

12. Kyle Eastmond

11. Josh Bassett

10. Danny Cipriani

9. Dan Robson

1. Simon McIntyre

2. Tom Cruse

3. Jake Cooper-Woolley

4. James Gaskell ©

5. Kearnan Myall

6. Jack Willis

7. Thomas Young

8. Guy Thompson

Replacements:

16. Tommy Taylor

17. Matt Mullan

18. Marty Moore

19. Nathan Hughes

20. Ashley Johnson

21. Joe Simpson

22. Jimmy Gopperth

23. Gaby Lovobalavu

Re: Team's up
DGPWasp (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 12:06
That is a hell of a bench!!!

neils (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 12:07
Now that's more like it.

Raggs (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 12:08
Insane bench, as long as the starters keep us in touch, that bench coming on with 20-30 to play, should be able to finish it.

matelot22 (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 12:09
There are nine changes to the starting 15 that lost to Northampton Saints last weekend.

Following his recent contract renewal, Tim Visser is named to start on the left wing, Jamie Roberts partners Joe Marchant in the centres and Marcus Smith comes in at fly-half.

There is a completely different front five - featuring a return from injury for Kyle Sinckler - while Mat Luamanu is named at Number Eight. Dave Ward takes over captaincy duties as James Horwill picked up a knock in last week's match against Northampton.

Ahead of the match, Harlequins Director of Rugby, John Kingston said: "Last month's match against Wasps was an absolute belter. For us to come back in the way that we did showed fantastic belief and desire, but we know they're a good side and they'll pose a huge threat on the weekend again.

"The next three home games against Wasps, Newcastle and Bath are going to have a significant impact on whether we will be able to sustain a genuine challenge for the top four. The crowd was massive in getting the team over the line a few weeks ago, so we need them right behind the side from the very first minute."

Harlequins squad to face Wasps (Harlequins appearances)

15. Ross Chisholm (88)
14. Alofa Alofa (47)
13. Joe Marchant (48)
12. Jamie Roberts (46)
11. Tim Visser (53)
10. Marcus Smith (19)
9. Dave Lewis (9)

1. Lewis Boyce (13)
2. Dave Ward (Captain, 135)
3. Kyle Sinckler (113)
4. Ben Glynn (17)
5. Charlie Matthews (156)
6. James Chisholm (50)
7. Luke Wallace (154)
8. Mat Luamanu (60)

16. Joe Gray (144)
17. Mark Lambert (225)
18. Will Collier (118)
19. Stan South (11)
20. Archie White (15)
21. Jono Kitto (6)
22. Ian Prior (5)
23. Aaron Morris (14)

Hangover (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 12:09
That is a good looking starting 15, but that is SOME bench !!!! (with a Marvel front row MM, TT, MM)

COYW (Sm42)

AKWasp (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 12:11
Hugely exciting team with a complete mismatch between the benches. Hopefully we can get our returning players firing before Chiefs next week. Will also be interested to see how good Matthews is in the second row for Quins

matelot22 (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 12:11
No second row cover for us? Has Nath ever played there?

DuncanS (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 12:12
Who do we reckon goes into the second row should one of our locks go down? Possibly Nate. Strong team, and, as others have said, a bench that should terrify Quins.

Shropshirewasp (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 12:12
Nathan to play second row?

Oops beat me to it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2018 12:14 by Shropshirewasp.

Westy68 (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 12:15
Wow what a bench, will be surprised if we mess up the last 20 mins this time around

DGPWasp (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 12:20
I seem to remember when we signed this unknown Fijian from super rugby a few years back he was supposed to be a second row / no 8, so I'm sure he's played there before but I don't ever recall him playing there for Wasps. Would imagine that he'd only have to fill in for injuries there. Gaskell and Myall will both expect to play the full game with Hughes and Ash doing their thing from the back row is my bet.

Green Wasp (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 12:21
Quote:
matelot22
No second row cover for us? Has Nath ever played there?

I recall when we signed him from Auckland he was listed as second row/back row. On the flip side I will be watching Charlie Matthews a bit more objectively.

Raggs (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 12:36
Hughes had covered for injury only. Guess we want the starters to finish.

I think we have them in the tight 5 and the bench, which will hopefully translate to a win.

StonedWasp (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 12:39
Looking forward to it even more now, just hope i can smile contentedly while i drink my beer in the ground this time.

Club, Country & Wife

John Tee (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 12:40
Smash them into the ground.

DGPWasp (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 12:41
Quote:
Raggs
Hughes had covered for injury only. Guess we want the starters to finish.
I think we have them in the tight 5 and the bench, which will hopefully translate to a win.

I think we have them in the backs too! Should be a very motivated bunch too after the result there the other week. Payback time!

Heathen (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 12:45
Very pleased with that squad. Jack Willis to lock if needed?

Raggs (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 12:50
Their backs are very good, the biggest advantage there is the directions Robson and Lewis have gone in since their Saxons debut a long time ago. Hopefully Lewis will slow their backline up a bit.

kentwasp1 (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 12:53
I am so so glad I have tickets for this match. Will be a privilege to be there. Awesome team and humungous bench. Bring it on

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net