rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
Danny leaving Wasps at seasons end.
wombles222 (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 10:55
Just broken on sky sports news.

Very sad to see him go, a true Wasp! However lets go grab some premiership silverwear for him!

Re: Danny leaving Wasps at seasons end.
Danjester (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 11:02
His comments suggest to me that he hasn't put pen to paper anywhere else as yet.

Any clue whether Wasps did not want to retain him, or were parties too far apart on money?

Between Hask, Sam, and now Danny, it's been a rubbish few weeks for squad news!

ukms (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 11:11
Great shame ... but not surprising .... good luck to him whatever he does ..... lets hope we can send him off on a high in May ! smiling smiley

Buzzil (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 11:11
This is the worst news possible

Trev's Big Tackle (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 11:20
Quote:
Buzzil

The Sam Jones news is worse.

rigatoni (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 12:33
Some random on twitter recently asked some bookmakers for odds on Cips signing for Lyon on 12 Feb. I mostly dismissed it at the time but I did think the date was oddly specific.

Heathen (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 12:34
Gutted to see Danny go.

However, life moves on. No one player is bigger than the club.

Looking on the bright side we have Shields, Sopoaga and Willis senior to replace the three of them.

Buzzil (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 12:40
Quote:
Trev's Big Tackle
Quote:
Buzzil

The Sam Jones news is worse.

If it is true then will agree, but I have seen nothing from the player or club yet saying he has been told to retire

Iceni (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 12:42
I'm absolutely gutted at this news.

I've been watching Danny since he first came to wasps, as a schoolboy, and I believe he is the most creative stand off of his generation and puts the current crop of plodders and risk averse merchants in the shade.

It's a major shame that his international career stalled as others who were pretty ordinary were picked instead. He is sometimes blamed for his mistakes but to my mind, that is what creative risk takers do. This can be frustrating at times but I'd rather pay good money to watch him that any other safety first players.

I don't think we'll see hi like for a long time.

Danny we wish you every success and fulfilment in what ever you chose to do and thanks for the memories.

WaspieKev (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 12:52
Iceni

+1

A truly remarkable talent that should have earned many England caps. So disappointed to see him leaving but nobody could begrudge him a final big contract, wherever that may be. Just hope he doesnt come back to haunt us one day! I would think La Rochelle would suit him down to the ground, but lets wait and see. Good luck Danny, and thanks for the memories, but lets hope you can steer us to another trophy before the season ends.

jonnydeane (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 12:52
Totally agree Iceni. Danny and Dom coming through as well as Rees and haskell just before were the reason I started paying moire attention to school boy rugby and age group representation.
Watched every game of his in Melbourne and of course all those games where he was exceptional against us for Sale. He returned a more mature player and has been fantastic.

I think back to his debut for England and if Ashton had stayed on or he had conducted himself differently or a coach had come in with a more attacking mindset Danny could have been leading the England line for all this time.

I feared this was coming but hoped there was a way for him to stay. I hope he can find success and a good deal in France but not in the UK, it just wouldn't be right.

Assume there will be some good news coming from the club regarding signings soon. Can see Searle and Carr being announced if the Jones rumour becomes official.

Cheers Danny

Bzzzzz (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 12:56
Iceni; +1

An extraordinary talent. Good luck to him in the future.

Hucks (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 12:58
I'd be surprised if it's Japan. He could go there at 33/34 and still dominate. His talent deserves to see him add more European silverware so I hope it's somewhere in France where, like kinga, he can enjoy a couple of years but still at the very pinnacle of the domestic game.

westwaleswasp (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 13:02
This is nuts. We lose the best FH in his prime for us and our style in the NH, to be replaced by a player who is going to take a while to get used to us and simply cannot improve much if at all on what we have, because what we have suits us to the ground.

kentwasp1 (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 13:07
Quote:
jonnydeane
Totally agree Iceni. Danny and Dom coming through as well as Rees and haskell just before were the reason I started paying moire attention to school boy rugby and age group representation.
Watched every game of his in Melbourne and of course all those games where he was exceptional against us for Sale. He returned a more mature player and has been fantastic.

I think back to his debut for England and if Ashton had stayed on or he had conducted himself differently or a coach had come in with a more attacking mindset Danny could have been leading the England line for all this time.

I feared this was coming but hoped there was a way for him to stay. I hope he can find success and a good deal in France but not in the UK, it just wouldn't be right.

Assume there will be some good news coming from the club regarding signings soon. Can see Searle and Carr being announced if the Jones rumour becomes official.

Cheers Danny

+1+1

Watched him at the Stoop and surrounding Quins fans very envious we have him, way outplayed Smith. So this makes it harder. On top of Guy and Sam. Lots of good stuff happening and good guys coming in, but these three blokes are a hard blow.
Onwards upwards and thanks Danny - hope you go somewhere good for you and those around you.

Buzzboy (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 13:10
Sad news but I wish him the very best. Maybe he will come back to coach us one day....

Green Wasp (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 13:12
I really wonder what his motivation on leaving. Unlike Haskell I think Dai would have tried to keep him. Cipriani has gone record saying money is not motivation and he clearly appears to be loving his rugby.

Aylesbury Wasp (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 13:12
WestWales,

I share your disappointment and after the high of yesterday it is deflating, even more so if the news on Sam retiring is confirmed. However, if Cips was hesitant to sign a new contract wanting to see first what new adventure might emerge, you can completely understand Dai wanting security by nailing down a high quality replacement just in case. As he has said before “you don’t want to be caught with your pants down”.

WONKYWASP1 (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 13:14
Iceni and jonnydeane ... plus 1. A sad day.

FishingWasp (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 13:22
Someone has to say it

THANK YOU EDDIE

Now where's that tin hat??

Best of luck to Danny, wherever you go. Come back soon. We've loved watching you play.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net