rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Comings and Goings 17/18 18/19
StevieWasp (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 14:34
With the news of Sam and Danny definitely not with us next season, I wanted to look at who is leaving and who is coming next season.

I'll keep this post updated if there's any new signings, or if/when the Symons/Matthews rumours disappear

The current Wasps squad as per the official site is

Forwards (22)
Matt Mullan
Simon McIntyre
Ben Harris
Tommy Taylor
Tom Cruse
Ashley Johnson
Jake Cooper Woolley
Marty Moore (LEAVING)
Paul Doran Jones (TRP RUMOUR to Ealing)
Joe Launchbury
Matt Symons (RUMOURED to be leaving)
James Gaskell
Kearnen Myall
Will Rowlands
Marcus Garratt
James Haskell (LEAVING)
Thomas Young
Nathan Hughes
Guy Thompson (LEAVING)
Sam Jones (Retiring)
Alex Rieder
Jack Willis

Backs (16)
Dan Robson
Joe Simpson
Craig Hampson
Danny Cipriani (LEAVING)
Jimmy Gopperth (possibly player/coach role)
Kyle Eastmond (RUMOURED to be leaving?)
Gaby Lovobalavu
Elliot Daly
Juan de Jongh
Brendan Macken (RUMOURED to be leaving)
Christian Wade (RUMOURED to be leaving ruck.co.uk)
Josh Bassett
Willie le Roux
Rob Miller
Marcus Watson
Guy Armitage

Incoming
Lima Sopoaga (replacement for Cipriani)
Brad Shields (replacement for Haskell?)
Charlie Matthews (RUMOURED replacement for Symons)
Nizaam Carr (RUMOURED or maybe just hopeful)
Billy Searle (RUMOURED fly half cover)
Keiran Brookes (RUMOURED. Definitely leaving Saints)
Will Stuart (promoted from academy to replace PDJ?)

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2018 09:40 by StevieWasp.

Re: Comings and Goings 17/18 18/19
littlematt (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 14:35
Isnít Macken leaving or was that just a rumour?

PhilH (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 14:37
Sam Jonesí retirement is still a rumour - not formally announced by the club.

StevieWasp (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 14:39
updated to include Macken rumour and Sam Jones as a rumour.
Also added Guy Thompson leaving.

Was the Macken rumour a real documented rumour, or just heresay?

NellyWellyWaspy (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 14:39
Quote:
littlematt
Isnít Macken leaving or was that just a rumour?

Wasn't he off to an Irish side?

StevieWasp (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 14:42
so, to ensure we have cover for every player, we need a new 1st/2nd choice prop.
Another back row, potentially from the academy (is it too soon for Willis jr?
and another centre or 2 if the rumours about Eastmond or Macken are true

It's debatable whether we'd be strengthening at all, but we'd have the same/similar squad depth.

neils (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 14:43
Mullan has been rumoured for a while - either Newcastle or Quins depending on who you believe (or not).

Marconi (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 15:00
The rumour was that Mullan was heading back to Worcester as he was still living with his in-laws near Worcester when everyone else made the move to Coventry. I understand that he has now got a place up here, so maybe it was just mis-information!

Jac_A (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 15:30
We obviously need another THP. Hopefully we'll see Stuart getting more game time but if Jake went down we'd be horribly exposed with another experienced prop. Thinking of tightheads Ė anyone know how Langley is getting on?

In the back-row, IF we re-sign Carr (which I hope we do) I think that we'll be fine. Sam, very sadly, hasn't played since Sept 2016 so there's no clear need to replace him Ė if we get another serious injury we can use the injury cover budget like this season. Shields, Young, Hughes, Rieder, Willis and Carr would all be starters at most clubs (plus cover from Ash, Tom Willis and maybe Will Owen). My only concern would be the lack of genuine openside cover with Guy going but I'm sure Willis and Rieder would cover it ok.

I'm devastated at losing Cips but at least we know for sure now and it means that Lima comes here knowing he is our number one 10. If we sign Billy Searle too (any update on that rumour?) that would give us good resilience there too (I think he's a very good player and has Prem experience). Back 3 is fine. If we lose Eastmond then we certainly need another 12, and a replacement for Macken too as I can't see an academy player stepping up there just yet.

Stang (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 15:35
I think we can as good as pen Matthews in unfortunately. Hopefully the move north will have him addressing approach and losing the Quins niggle!

AKWasp (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 15:36
I think we need a playmaking centre and a TH. If Searle arrives then Iíll think weíll be okay for FH with Gopps, Miller and Umaga in addition to Lima. Just got to hope we are luckier with injuries next year

StevieWasp (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 15:47
I'll leave the Mullan rumour off for now unless we hear more about it

Maybe our options at 10 will be Sopoaga and Searle/Umaga next season, with Jimmy playing 12 full time.... time will tell.

i'll add the Searle rumour as that has been mentioned quite often

NellyWellyWaspy (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 16:28
Quote:
Jac_A
... anyone know how Langley is getting on? ...

News from Wasps on 21 November 2017:

David Langley suffered a fracture dislocation of his ankle in a training session with his loan club Nottingham last week. The injury required surgery, which he had straight away and went well. He will continue his rehab at Wasps, which will also include input from the Nottingham medical team.

He is listed in the Nottingham First XV squad, but hasn't been named in team since then. Maybe one of our resident medico's could comment as to likely recovery periods for an injury like that?

Other than to say he got engaged, he has been quiet on social media.

Jac_A (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 17:34
Cheers NWW. I remember he got an injury - didn't know if he was back yet, but it seems not.

Westy68 (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 17:46
I thought our squad was small enough before the recent moves.

Really need to sigh 3 or 4 new players in the summer.

Definitely a prop is needed.

Really hope Symons doesnít leave but doesnít sound good.

Would be very disappointed if we see Charlie Matthews as a replacement.

Hope we get Carr back and we now need a 10. Appreciate he would be 2nd choice but I would like Gopperth at 12

Raggs (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 17:57
I'd be confident in Stuart to be bench and perhaps start in some games, but would agree that really we need another option there.

jonnydeane (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 18:44
Macken rumoured to Bristol a long while ago. Hope he stays
Symonds to Quins - done deal if all is to be be believed
Matthews to Wasps also seems to be done (strange one IMO, a bit like pdj last summer)

Kieran Brookes and Aaron Jarvis rumoured at THP.
Stuart is highly regarded by Dai and has shown very well so hopefully will leapfrog pdj as 3rd choice TH next season.

Lundberg retired as LH but West easily steps up as 4th choice. So OK in this department with PDJ also able to play there.

With 3 backrowers out with Jones potentially gone i hope Carr returns but with Jack W simply awesome and younger Willis, Owen and Seabrook all playing well recently in the AWC maybe Dai thinks we're OK there for cover and maybe we won't bring anyone else in.

If Eastmond is off Jimmy I don't think can be relied on too much at 12 as he is getting older and more fragile but with Gaby and De Jongh capable there we could be OK.
Imagine Spinks will sign on next year in the senior academy and will play A League and AWC there, as could Umaga - would be nice to keep Macken however.

Can see us signing a few young back options though maybe another winger/utility back depending on how highly Owain James is rated

backdoc (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 19:13
"He is listed in the Nottingham First XV squad, but hasn't been named in team since then. Maybe one of our resident medico's could comment as to likely recovery periods for an injury like that? "

Nottingham used to be the best trauma centre in the UK [when I worked there!]. He is likely to have had excellent care there.
It is a Danny Cipriani injury - Cips did exceptionally well to return in around 6 months. 8-9 would be more typical.

StevieWasp (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 11:59
Keiran Brookes rumour added to the original post.

matelot22 (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 12:12
If we do lose all those that are rumoured, I'll be more than a little disappointed given Dai's comments that squad churn would be kept low for the foreseeable future.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net