rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Jack Willis extends contract
Raggs (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 12:59
Club is really pushing the good news grinning smiley.

Re: Jack Willis extends contract
AKWasp (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 13:02
Really softening the blow of Cips departure. A win on Sunday and I think I might just come to terms with it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/02/2018 13:03 by AKWasp.

Beasties (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 13:08
15 year extension I hope!!!

Dgwasp (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 13:25
This and the Rowlands contract extension are both great bits of news. It will certainly help Dai keep squad continuity and they are players who have the potential to keep improving (Willis perhaps more so being younger). The key outbound players who are all leaving are all 30+ and at least we are pushing the boat out to retain the younger talent which is the future of the club.

Anonymous User (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 13:41
really good news on both fronts.

I'm gutted cips is off. but some of the stuff on here I find bizarre. It's not all attacking the leadership of the club, but there's a lot questioning their decision making.

1. Sopoaga is 26 and the second best all black flyhalf currently. He's no trade down. We may lose that continuity in the short term but if he's signed a 3 year deal its a great call.

2. all the stuff about cips being forced out by this signing is nuts. sounds like cips has been known for a while. far more likely that the reason it's taken so long to announce has been that despite deciding to go, wasps then still fought really hard to keep him, and his emotional pull to the club made him reconsider, but ultimately decide to leave.

3. had we not signed sopoaga the management would be slated for losing cips and having no plan b.

4. two over 30s have been replaced like for like with two 26 year olds at top of their game

5. For all the rumoured departures only 4 have been confirmed. all over 30.

6. there's a clear priority to hold on to homegrown & dscovered talent. as weiitnessed by these extensions.

7. The club have tied down far more important players so far than have gone. Miller, rieder, cruse...these guys are vital to our squad depth.

8. can dai really be accused of only bringing youngsters through by luck? if so he's been very lucky as it's under dai that launch, wade, daly, rowlands, willis, willis, stuart are all getting their shot.

jonnydeane (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 13:50
Wonder what kind of deal this for him, obviously a much improved deal but is it officially a senior contract or will he still 'officially' be in the academy next year as doesnt this have some sort of impact on the salary cap?

Raggs (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 14:04
Quote:
jonnydeane
Wonder what kind of deal this for him, obviously a much improved deal but is it officially a senior contract or will he still 'officially' be in the academy next year as doesnt this have some sort of impact on the salary cap?

He was already on a senior contract this season, this is an extension I suppose. Probably improved terms, but I'd guess if they've announced it now, it was probably signed before his massive Quins effort!

NyorksWasp (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 14:11
Two superb pieces of news. Let’s hope they’re both proper long term contracts. Get Willis junior signed up to join his brother in the senior squad and we’ve got the next level of young, home produced talent to follow on from Launch, Elliot and Christian.

bg (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 14:34
Quote:
Hucks
really good news on both fronts.
I'm gutted cips is off. but some of the stuff on here I find bizarre. It's not all attacking the leadership of the club, but there's a lot questioning their decision making.

1. Sopoaga is 26 and the second best all black flyhalf currently. He's no trade down. We may lose that continuity in the short term but if he's signed a 3 year deal its a great call.

2. all the stuff about cips being forced out by this signing is nuts. sounds like cips has been known for a while. far more likely that the reason it's taken so long to announce has been that despite deciding to go, wasps then still fought really hard to keep him, and his emotional pull to the club made him reconsider, but ultimately decide to leave.

3. had we not signed sopoaga the management would be slated for losing cips and having no plan b.

4. two over 30s have been replaced like for like with two 26 year olds at top of their game

5. For all the rumoured departures only 4 have been confirmed. all over 30.

6. there's a clear priority to hold on to homegrown & dscovered talent. as weiitnessed by these extensions.

7. The club have tied down far more important players so far than have gone. Miller, rieder, cruse...these guys are vital to our squad depth.

8. can dai really be accused of only bringing youngsters through by luck? if so he's been very lucky as it's under dai that launch, wade, daly, rowlands, willis, willis, stuart are all getting their shot.

+1`

neils (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 14:48
+2

AKWasp (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 14:57
+3 think it’s importsnt to remember that 26 is before your prime- the best is yet to come.

Plus with the WLR extension (unconfirmed) being rumoured at 3 years and Lima rumoured to have signed for 3 years (some uncertainty whether it’s actually 2) it’s clear that Dai is still building. Shows that just cause we’re in the playoffs and playing the most exciting rugby in the league we can’t afford to stand still, and it means we’ve got a lot to look forward to in the next 3 years

Hymenoptera (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 15:06
+3

and if you listen to Flats podcast...he knew months ago DC had decided to leave but didn't want to say anything, as did the club, hence the Sopa signing...so thats all the conspiracies out the window...Danny already has plans, nothing to do with Wasps...so not sure why he was playing cloak and dagger.

Hangover (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 15:20
Brilliant news. Well done to all.

Wasps are delighted to announce that academy product Jack Willis has signed a new contract.
This extends the former England under 20 back-rower’s stay at the club he originally joined ahead of the 2015/16 season.

Willis made his first XV debut at Sale in November 2016 in the Anglo-Welsh Cup, with his Premiership bow coming later the same month also against the Sharks.

Since then Willis’s rapid development has seen him first join the senior squad, before quickly forcing his way into Dai Young’s matchday 23 on a regular basis.

As a result, 17 of his 25 appearances have been registered this season, culminating in back-to-back man-of-the-match winning displays in the Anglo-Welsh Cup against Leicester and during Sunday’s Aviva Premiership win over Harlequins.

Director of Rugby Dai Young said:

“We are thrilled that Jack has signed a new deal, as he has really progressed rapidly over the last 18 months.

“To move as quickly as he has from being an academy player to producing stand-out displays against seasoned internationals in the Premiership and Europe speaks volumes about his talent and attitude.

“We believe he has a very bright future ahead of him, and that he will be an integral part of what we are building here at Wasps for many years to come.”

Jack Willis said:

“I’ve been fortunate to get a few opportunities this year and I’m chuffed to extend my stay at Wasps.

“If you look at the coaching staff and players here it’s clear the club is going places.

“My focus now is on getting my head down and working hard to help us achieve the best things we can this season and in the future.”

Buzzboy (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 16:23
Great
Super!

westwaleswasp (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 17:52
I will be trite.... fantastic.
Still gutted about Cips. Where shall I put my fiver?

Gaz (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 20:46
Aside from Cips, probably the most important signing for Wasps. Future club captain in my view.

Fantastic signing, well done to all.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net