rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

England team vs Scotland, Nathan and Joe start.
Bridgnorthwasp (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 10:01
England: Brown; Watson, Joseph, Farrell, May; Ford, Care; Vunipola, Hartley, Cole, Launchbury, Itoje, Lawes, Robshaw, Hughes.

Replacements: George, Marler, Williams, Kruis, Underhill, Wigglesworth, Te'o, Nowell

Haskell going as travelling reserve? If not, let's get him back in for Saturday!

Re: England team vs Scotland, Nathan and Joe start.
OldMarovian (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 10:25
Well done to Launchbury on his 50th England cap.

DGPWasp (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 10:52
Anyone else looking at that bench and thinking Nathan is likely to be expected to go the full 80 mins?

Ewels was retained with the squad and could've taken Underhill or Kruis's bench spot (3 locks in starting XV) to provide an alternative at 8 if that was part of Eddie's plan. The rest might be able to do an adequate job in an emergency at 8, but none of them is a regular 8. Wonder if Ewels was retained to cover if it was felt Nathan wouldn't have enough in the tank but he's done enough to prove he's fully fit.

Raggs (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 10:57
Robshaw to 8 is something that they've trained for for a while now. Hughes will go as long as he can, and when he falls over, Robshaw will go to 8.

Nigel Med (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 13:06
Stand by for the "Hughes is useless, nowhere near as good as Billy..." posts on Monday.

I don't care how intense England training is, there is no substitute for competitive game time and Nathan has only had a decidedly ineffective 20 minutes against a lame Quins team since he retuned. No way on earth he is going to be remotely close to his best playing an International against a fired up and confident Scotland at Murrayfield. Madness.

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 14:24
I really hope we don't see that Nigel Med.

It was a mistake last season to rush a recently returned from injury Billy straight into the XV against Ireland and I think Jones is doing the same again but no one should blame Hughes for that if he struggles for any reason.

The good news is they must be pretty happy with how he is going or I think Haskell would have been on the bench as 8 cover but it is a big ask. I hope he has a great game and ends it in one piece.

Hangover (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 14:06
Personally think Nathan should be nowhere near starting. He cannot be ready after 20mins against Quins. I am an EJ fan but this is stupid and even without Billy and Simmonds unnecessary.

Fantastic for Launch and could not be more deserved, he would be first name on my team sheet every time (Sm42)

Silent Bob (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 14:55
I've got to say it seems that Jones is saying that he is willing to "hope" Nathan does well because he has so little faith in the other options available to him. The coaches cannot possibly think he is at his best after that lay off with virtually no game time.

I'm not sure what I would have done instead. Playing Robshaw or HAskell at 8 for instance would have been a big concern too. At least Robshaw is match fit though!

Trev's Big Tackle (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 15:14
Is too little game time better or worse than overplayed in too many games and needing a rest?

Hangover (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 15:18
20 minutes after a pretty serious injury is worse - yes.

Trev's Big Tackle (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 15:46
He has to start playing again sometime.

Geoff P (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 17:11
I would rather a seasoned and proven international no 8, even if not fully fit, against Scotland at Murrayfield, than play someone who's not really used to the position.

Nathan is a tough hombre - I think he'll do OK. I can't see him playing the whole match though.

Gaz (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 08:46
Well done to the wasps involved, have a great day.

England to snuff out any Scotland ambition, head says 16-10, heart says 33-30 with a swashbuckling Scotland narrowly losing but giving hope for attacking test rugby.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net