rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Teams Up
RossM (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 11:56
Wasps team to play Gloucester

Fit-again Juan De Jongh partners Jimmy Gopperth in the centre when Wasps face Gloucester at Kingsholm tomorrow.

With Danny Cipriani sidelined by an Achilles strain, the pair play outside Rob Miller and Dan Robson, who returns to the club he left three years ago.

Director of Rugby Dai Young has opted to rotate three of his front five, with Matt Mullan, Jake Cooper-Woolley and Will Rowlands starting against the fourth-placed hosts.

Ashley Johnson reverts to the back row, which means academy product TJ Harris joins Simon McIntyre and Marty Moore in providing front row cover.

Anglo-Welsh Cup breakthrough player candidate Owain James will make his Aviva Premiership debut should he arrive from the bench.

Director of Rugby Dai Young said:

“Our squad is obviously a little stretched in some positions this week by international calls, suspensions and injury.

“That said, we’ve done really well over the last two weeks, and if we perform to our best and show the spirit and determination we did against Quins and Exeter we can beat anyone.

“This is another really important game for us, as is next week against London Irish, and a couple of good results would set us up really well for the final part of the season.”

Wasps team to play Gloucester

15. Willie Le Roux
14. Christian Wade
13. Juan De Jongh
12. Jimmy Gopperth
11. Josh Bassett
10. Rob Miller
9. Dan Robson
1. Matt Mullan
2. Tom Cruse
3. Jake Cooper-Woolley
4. James Gaskell ©
5. Will Rowlands
6. Ashley Johnson
7. Thomas Young
8. Guy Thompson

Replacements:
16. TJ Harris
17. Simon McIntyre
18. Marty Moore
19. Kearnan Myall
20. Ben Harris
21. Joe Simpson
22. Brendan Macken
23. Owain James

Re: Teams Up
Trev's Big Tackle (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 11:59
Interesting 10-12 partnership...

Nomad_Wasp (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 12:01
I trust Dai, but I'd have played Jimmy at 10 and Macken in the centre. And I'd have had Rob covering the back 3 and put Jacob on the bench, to be honest.

chunky24 (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 12:03
Strong bench.......needed to hold all those front rowers!

kentwasp1 (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 12:03
not the strongest bench but chance for the lads to eat the cherries. COYW

Dgwasp (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 12:04
Miller looked a bit uncomfortable at 10 last time I saw him... That being said Gopps can still take charge of some of the kicking duties if needed and Miller is still a quality player.

Hopefully this is just a bit of rest time for Willis and Cips...

bald.paul.101 (IP Logged)
This really is a bare bones squad. Miller at 10, James on the bench & 3 props in the subs...?

Will be interesting, that's for sure

ElliesBoss (IP Logged)
Don't think Dai had lot of choice! The 'unknown" element of our team might just cause Glos a few problems. Not writing us off.

Nomad_Wasp (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 12:09
We couldn't even have called on Willis the Younger to cover the back row? I don't really understand Harris in the 20 shirt. Garrett would have been a better bet, as then Gaskell can cover back row. I assume he's injured and unavailable as well.

Raggs (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 12:12
Willis the younger looked a bit physically under developed against Irish and hasn't been appearing for u20s do may be injured.

Confident with Miller to do well enough. Still think w struggle to win.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/02/2018 12:13 by Raggs.

ricohchezwasp (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 12:19
Willis junior had concussion

Not a Doctor and not a troll!!

AKWasp (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 12:23
Important thing is that if Cips was starting instead of Miller we would all be feeling very confident as the starting team is very close to full strength considering internationals are missing. Also like what I have seen from Ben Harris when he’s come on- he’s very tall for a prop and think he will make an impact off the bench with hard carries and hitting rucks hard.

I think Gloucester might have some issues with keeping track of which way we go off rucks etc- Miller, Gopperth and WLR will expect to be stepping in at 1st receiver while Basset and Wade often come in to get the ball early too. Combine that with Robson sniping and we’ll be attacking from all angles.

Not confident at all but nervously excited COYW

Westy68 (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 12:26
This is definitely going to be difficult, especially at a place where we don’t do so well. Would be very impressed if we get a W

Just keep up the same intensity as the 2 previous weeks and you never know. Losing Cips is a massive blow.

Nomad_Wasp (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 12:28
You've missed the point, AK. Cips to Miller is, no disrespect to Rob, a massive step down in quality. I don't think Rob is a Premiership standard 10, to be honest, great 15 and winger that he is.

Also it's just weird that Ben Harris is covering back row. What is the plan there? Are we really going to play a prop at 6? Or is it literally a case of last man standing?

chunky24 (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 12:33
Quote:
Nomad_Wasp
You've missed the point, AK. Cips to Miller is, no disrespect to Rob, a massive step down in quality. I don't think Rob is a Premiership standard 10, to be honest, great 15 and winger that he is.
Also it's just weird that Ben Harris is covering back row. What is the plan there? Are we really going to play a prop at 6? Or is it literally a case of last man standing?

Possible Ben Harris can play second row allowing Myall to come on for Rowlands and Harris covering any back row injuries which Gaskell would move into?

Edit - Quick bit of googling tells me Ben Harris played second row for Leeds Tykes / Carnegie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/02/2018 12:36 by chunky24.

Nomad_Wasp (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 12:40
Is Garrett injured then? Bare bones indeed.

ricohchezwasp (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 12:42
Also Miller would have been training at 10 since Jimmy was injured so must have put in s lot of time there. Tough ask but glad I will be there to watch. 6 players out in two games not helping the cause !!

Not a Doctor and not a troll!!

Westy68 (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 12:47
Is Haskell still suspended or injured?

neils (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 12:49
Haskell held by Eddie.

will311293 (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 12:50
See unfortunately this is when Oghre would come in useful due to him playing hooker but looking like a flanker haha.

tough game this. we look under par but nothing to be done but cheer the boys on

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net