Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

England's forward play
Old Geezer (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 09:52
I think it all goes wrong for England at the breakdown.

England's forwards go into contact in ones. The next man stands over the ball and it stands too long at the base of the ruck before the SH gets it away. Youngs is guilty of this but Danny is even worse. This allows the opposition to counter ruck strongly. Scotlan exploited this to our extreme cost yesterday. When other teams, notably the AB's, go into contact there is invariably another man latched on and thy drive forward leaving the ball behind beyond the counter ruck but more relevantly giving the SH time to get the ball away quickly which we don't do. We need to change completely how we take the ball into contact, committing more men to the ruck.

This seems so obvious to me and many others I speak to. It is IMHO down to bad coaching in this area.

Interested to hear what others think.

Re: England's forward play
jonnydeane (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 10:25
After having watched a lot of Danny Care over the years it has not been pleasant viewing over the last two games. Looks robotic, like he is not playing his normal game and is playing to script.
I wonder if the backrow are a bit like that too rather than playing what's in front of them. Also think the backrow's lack of pace and balance was exposed yesterday.

I'm glad for the wake up call though, despite the success I have got a little bored of watching England recently

Re: England's forward play
John Tee (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 10:50
We had no clear out. Couldnt see it happening and failed to react.
Wasn't that impressed with Owens but we've seen our inability to control the breakdown before so it is hardly news.
We've had Ireland and Australia teach us big lessons there but still haven't fixed it. If it doesn't come naturally to our players in certain positions we struggle....and that is fine but coaches picking the wrong players at positions is going to come unstuck. But if you keep winning you lose sight of those lessons.

Huge wake up call... But too late.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing