rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Saracens/Wasps Combined England team
Moorio_Wasp (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 10:46
Right obviously theres little point to this post, but crossed my mind when I was thinking recently (not just yesterday, but when watching the eng/wales game on tv and sitting in the stadio olimpico) that i prefer watching premiership/champions cup to international rugby. Could go into a long discussion as to why, but thats a different story. I read other teams boards every now and then, and (some) Sarries fans seem the same as us in the sense they sometimes feel injustice about players not given a chance with england. So i gave it a look and I reckon a 23 of these players (Put on bench or change position to suit game) would give me more hope going into a 6 nations game than the current 23, and only selecting players from the 2 clubs. Let me know if iíve forgotten any players.
1 Vunipola/Macintyre
2 George/Taylor
3 JCW/???
4 Launchbury/Kruis
5 Itoje/Isikwe
6 Rhodes/Haskell
7 Wray/Willis
8 Vunipola/Hughes
9 Robson/Wigglesworth
10 Cips/Lozowski
11 Bassett/Earle
12 Farrell/Barritt
13 Daly/???
14 Wade/???
15 Goode/Miller

Re: Saracens/Wasps Combined England team
Raggs (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 10:49
What game are you trying to play? And WLR would be the 15. Farrell is a better 10 than Loz for Sarries game, Cips is a better 10 for our game, I don't see any game that Loz is better 10 than either of them to be honest.

Moorio_Wasp (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 10:52
Well willie le roux plays for south africa for starters. Secondly im not trying to do one of these 2 club combined XV, but what would an england team look like if you could only select from the two clubs. Put Loz there as Had Farrell at 12 as he tends to play for England.

John Tee (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 10:54
England qualified, Raggs.

But sure, WLR has to be one of the very best out there...in both hemispheres..

Raggs (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 11:10
Quote:
Moorio_Wasp
Well willie le roux plays for south africa for starters. Secondly im not trying to do one of these 2 club combined XV, but what would an england team look like if you could only select from the two clubs. Put Loz there as Had Farrell at 12 as he tends to play for England.

Woops, missed that, sorry grinning smiley.

Mako
George
JCW
Launch
Itoje
Hughes
Haskell
Vunipola
Wigglesworth
Farrell
Bassett
Barritt
Daly
Earle
Goode

Is Koch EQP yet?

Moorio_Wasp (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 11:26
Wasnít sure about Koch, so I left him out. Itís anyones guess whether a player is EQP yet.

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 11:44
This is a fun game:

Mako, George, JCW, Launchbury, Maro, Rhodes, Wray, Billy, Wiggle, Bassett, Farrell, Barritt, Earle, Goode

Barrington, Taylor/Cruise, erm?, Kruis, Hughes, Robson, Cipriani, Wade?

Sarries for control, Wasps to cut the opposition apart in the last twenty smiling smiley

Koch not EQP and the combined Sarasps team looks light at TH and 13.

John Tee (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 11:54
You can't go back to Barritt.... He wasn't upto it in his prime attack wise...and he doesn't appear to be the defender he was either.
I guess he doesn't get much time to work on his ball playing skills at his club either. Would rather see Eastmond at 12 than Farrell.
Having said that Farrell has added a run or two to his game of late, but I think he is mainly a road block in every sense.

Raggs (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 12:03
Quote:
John Tee
You can't go back to Barritt.... He wasn't upto it in his prime attack wise...and he doesn't appear to be the defender he was either.
I guess he doesn't get much time to work on his ball playing skills at his club either. Would rather see Eastmond at 12 than Farrell.
Having said that Farrell has added a run or two to his game of late, but I think he is mainly a road block in every sense.

What are you trying to do? Barritt's attacking game has improved since his England days.

There's not enough experience in the players I'd potentially like to see just yet, and so going for a realistic approach that might work is the power and securing ball game, which is where Barritt comes in.

I could put out a super exciting side, but I don't think it would be that effective overall, but perhaps could pay off against the occasional team. So given where the experience is, and then trying to build around it, I'm going for an Ireland style game. Brute force attack that can successfully grind over many phases with good support, combined with an aggressive defence looking to force errors.

I just can't see how we could support a Wasps attacking backline, with the EQP forwards available.

DuncanS (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 12:14
Mako
George
JCW
Launch
Itoje
Rhodes
Thompson
Billy
Robson
Cipriani
Bassett
Farrell
Daly
Wade
Goode

Taylor - Mullan - McIntyre (I know, but I'm struggling there) - Kruis - Hughes - Spencer - Eastmond - Miller

westwaleswasp (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 12:32
Using whose game plan?
If you are talking ko rugby then theirs is better.
If you are trying to top a table ours gets more bonus points over a season or even a 7 week 6n, then ours is better judging by last year. Ours gets better when we have a WLR 15 playing, which neither team has, or a KB.
It is sort of moot as we never have anyone fit and our smaller squad gets more stretched.
I daresay most Sarries supporters see Farrell as a world class ten, then again how would they know one...). Sorry could not resist. Personally I would love to see Cips/Farrell at 10/12, that would be amazing. If you put Farrell at ten you might as well not bother with Wade, Robson et al. I think both teams get a lot from their overseas players these past two years.
Part of Sarries' strength these past five years has been their bench, which to be fair is something you would not expect to profit by in international rugby where teams have strength in depth. The difference between Wasps last year and this has been the extent to which our resources have been stretched.

John Tee (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 12:36
Sorry, can't see Farrell and Barritt And Wigglesworth.
I don't think they'd scare anyone...and given that we don't control the ball at international level well enough, I really would not want to ape the Saracen's game.

That is what Jones has tried to do.
Barritt is a backward step too far.. But since this is hypothetical, and we have to pick from only two clubs, I'd like to have the opposition have to worry about us rather than us trying to negate them.
Barritt is a very brave defender but can't run as a centre, Imo. He never ran round anyone at his best and he would be meat and drink to any decent defence these days.
Can't see him as an international centre.
I'd prefer Daly by far. But I'd also put Eastmond there at12 as playmaker file to Cips.

Boooo (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 13:23
Mako
George
JCW
Launch
Itoje
Hughes
willis
Billy

Robson
Cipriani
Earle
Lozowski
Daly
Wade
Goode

Some pace and some thunder.

Barnetsarrie12 (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 13:33
For an international game,

Mako
Jamie
JCW
Launch
Maro
Rhodes (He will be EQP in June)
Willis
Billy
Robson
Cipriani
Earle
Farrell
Daly
Wade
Goode

Bench
TT,Barrington,Billy Walker,Kruis,Hughes,Spencer,Loz,Watson

Raggs (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 13:36
Quote:
Boooo
Mako
George
JCW
Launch
Itoje
Hughes
willis
Billy

Robson
Cipriani
Earle
Lozowski
Daly
Wade
Goode

Some pace and some thunder.

Could the thunder keep up and clear out for the pace?

StevieWasp (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 14:07
Interesting that a few of these teams have Wigglesworth at 9.

Although a technicality, I don't think we can include Rhodes and Cipriani in the same team. But the time one is EQP, the other will have left.

The weakest part of Wasps normal game, and the bit that usually let's us down in big games is our plan B, or power option.
If you add Mako, Itoje and Billy up front, and put Farrell and Goode in the backs, then I think Wasacens would beat everyone because we're adding power without losing athleticism and mobility.

Unfortunately, I don't think that would win us the world cup either.
So for the purposes of this thread, I would go with the Saracens and add in wasps players where they'd work with the Saracens game plan.

Raggs (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 14:20
I chose Wiggles because of his box kicking. Robson can be on the bench for when I want the game sped up, but the idea of my XV is simply control and power, no need for a Cips or a Robson.

AKWasp (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 14:23
Mako
George
JCW
Launch
Gaskell (on current form)
Hughes
Willis
Billy

Robson
Cips
Bassett
Farrell
Daly
Wade
Goode

Taylor, McIntyre, Mullan, Itoje, Haskell, Spencer, Lozowski, Eastmond

While it is weighted towards Wasps, I think that team would be ideal to play our sort of expansive rugby and donít think many could argue on form (except Taylor for Cruse)

StevieWasp (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 14:24
Quote:
Raggs
I chose Wiggles because of his box kicking. Robson can be on the bench for when I want the game sped up, but the idea of my XV is simply control and power, no need for a Cips or a Robson.

I absolutely get that.

I meant that it was interesting that a few people picked Wigglesworth, yet so many were flabbergasted when Jones picked him

Raggs (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 14:30
Quote:
StevieWasp
Quote:
Raggs

I absolutely get that.

I meant that it was interesting that a few people picked Wigglesworth, yet so many were flabbergasted when Jones picked him

I wasn't flabbergasted when Jones picked Wiggles, I still don't think it's the right choice, unless he's starting him. Robson fits not only the finisher role, but also what England are trying to do, far better than Wigglesworth in my mind. He's far more similar to Youngs and Care than Wigglesworth is, and I believe would have worked far better for the gameplan England are trying.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net