rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
So what should England do, given carte blanche selection wise.
westwaleswasp (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 08:26
As the title says. Now that Eddie's plan has been rumbled.....

What should happen for Ireland given a free hand selection wise? Player fitness as established. Assume that even if Nathan is fit tomorrow he was not fit in the first place.

Re: So what should England do, given carte blanche selection wise.
Westy68 (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 08:49
Rest all the sarries players so they can do the double.

I really do think we should not play itoje, the poor guy is running on empty. Play lawes in the 2nd row with Launchbury or Kruis.

Was really disappointed with Jamie George but give him another go. Need to change Dan Cole would start with Sinckler. Back row Armand at 7, would definitely take Willis on the SA tour. Robshaw at 6 simmonds at 8.

Farrell at 10, 12 I have a problem with, 13 Daly, May and wadey and Watson 15

NellyWellyWaspy (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 09:27
But, Eddie does not have a free hand. He has not got time to do anything other than make small changes. Swapping players out in panic will make it worse (can it be any worse? I guess it could).

His major issue is that England look like a one tactic team, and the others have rumbled it.

Next weekend will be damage limitation. A win is most unlikely. Eddie needs to be thinking about further in to the future. Not just players, but tactics.

wombles222 (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 10:04
You have to persist with George and Cowen-Dickie, I am not in the disliking Hartley camp, I just feel that we have to make strides in this area as Hartley is not automatically the first name on the team sheet, and does not have 80 minutes in him.

Itoje needs a rest I agree, so move Lawes to second row amd bring in Hasks for an 80 minute run out. Lack of further back row options make anything else impossible.

Drop Te'o and Joseph, both are not at the level needed at the moment. Bring in Slade to the bench, and start with Elliot at 13. Bring in Nowell

We must persist with Watson at 15, Brown has been a very good player and servant, but is not the long term solution.

Cole is a busted flush, and a penalty magnet when the pressure comes on, give youth a chance and have Genge and Sinks in.

Oh and for the love of all that is good HIRE A ATTACK COACH!

A win woukd be great next weekend, but it is no longer as important in the grand scheme of things. Showing we are learning from our mistakes and correcting them is by far amd away number one priority as we look to of stalled and nosedived in style, tactics and form at present.

RossM (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 10:47
Jack Nowell is out injured for the rest of the 6 Nations. He rolled an ankle in training and is now back at Exeter.

bg (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 10:57
Quote:
wombles222
You have to persist with George and Cowen-Dickie, I am not in the disliking Hartley camp, I just feel that we have to make strides in this area as Hartley is not automatically the first name on the team sheet, and does not have 80 minutes in him.
Itoje needs a rest I agree, so move Lawes to second row amd bring in Hasks for an 80 minute run out. Lack of further back row options make anything else impossible.

Drop Te'o and Joseph, both are not at the level needed at the moment. Bring in Slade to the bench, and start with Elliot at 13. Bring in Nowell

We must persist with Watson at 15, Brown has been a very good player and servant, but is not the long term solution.

Cole is a busted flush, and a penalty magnet when the pressure comes on, give youth a chance and have Genge and Sinks in.

Oh and for the love of all that is good HIRE A ATTACK COACH!

A win woukd be great next weekend, but it is no longer as important in the grand scheme of things. Showing we are learning from our mistakes and correcting them is by far amd away number one priority as we look to of stalled and nosedived in style, tactics and form at present.

+1

Covwasp (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 11:06
Eddie to swallow his pride, recall Cipriani, we need to be more unpredictable and focus on attacking variety

Heathen (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 12:16
Dan/Danny at 9/10 next week would give the Irish some food for thought. It would keep their back row very honest.

neils (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 12:20
Realistically can't he only call up players if one is injured (e.g. Hughes). He has a squad and can only tinker within those parameters.

welsh wasp (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 12:56
Some “unbiased” comments:
1. Brown, Wrigglesworth, Cole, Haskell & Robshaw ( despite their good performances yesterday) should not be in the 2019 RWC squad.
2. Itoje & Lawes are second rows not No. 6s.
3. Vunipola & Itoje need a rest.
4. Hughes was brought back far too early and now he has another injury.
5. Keeping Ford in the first XV against Ireland would be cruel to him. He’s lost form.

Different topic. Can anyone remember another time when one Wasp replaced another?

AKWasp (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 13:58
Quote:
welsh wasp
Some “unbiased” comments:
1. Brown, Wrigglesworth, Cole, Haskell & Robshaw ( despite their good performances yesterday) should not be in the 2019 RWC squad.
2. Itoje & Lawes are second rows not No. 6s.
3. Vunipola & Itoje need a rest.
4. Hughes was brought back far too early and now he has another injury.
5. Keeping Ford in the first XV against Ireland would be cruel to him. He’s lost form.

Different topic. Can anyone remember another time when one Wasp replaced another?

I feel that Haskell and Robshaw were the only real bright sparks in a very disappointing England performance, while they do not win turnovers, they will help us hold onto the ball at the breakdown

John Tee (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 14:55
I thought Teo was up for it in the first half but he didn't get much good ball to work with.
Running deep on a decoy isn't much good if the decoy is poor...all you do then is have him.running in trouble where the defence can line him up on the game line.

Id be thinking of Slade at centre as receiver. He could come in from 13 to do that but play Teo at 12 for trad centre pairing.
It means dropping Farrell to the bench as Robo and Cips would deliver the attack.
Care lives on the bench for England but with more dynamic half backs he may play like he does for quins.
Launch and Lawes as locks.
Robshaw 6, Willis and Simmons.

Dont care about the win against Ireland, Id be looking for a cohesive team...who knew what they were trying to do.

But this should all have been in the equation on day 1

Dazthelion (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 17:00
Honestly - send them all back to their club for a couple of days and get a break from the Eng coaching set up that is taking capable players and forcing them into a limited structure whilst trying to Physically break them. Suddenly at the end yesterday we have the game, we abandon the game plan and the last 5-10 mins Eng’s back line give you a small glimpse of what’s possible when reverting to skills over structure. It’s like the end of the Lancaster / Faz Snr era where the longer they were in camp, the worse they got.

Never been a big Farrell Jnf fan but he has definitely come on and with Eddie incapable of looking elsewhere he now has to start at 10. It’s limiting but then Jones’’ game plan is limited, and he’d be the best exponent. Ford is woefully out of form and confidence. Farrell shouldn’t be dropped but he needs to be capable of being dropped going forward as this “new Johnny/next Messiah / hero worship” has got me on for way too long and is one of the most poisonous issues with or national set up.

Start Simmonds and draft in Don Armand, possibly with Hask to Be combative and competitive at the breakdown. Laws and Launch in the second row. Perhaps Wigglesworth (I hate myself for saying it) and play a contained kick Oriented game, with Care to come off the bench. It’s too late to call up the cavalry (Robson, etc) and not fair on them to do so.

The players much like their coach have fallen into the trap of believing the hype. The early wins against poor opposition rebuilding post-RWC gave them an arrogance and complacency, and the “Club England” approach they’ve taken has just reinforced this by giving players no fear or competition when their form drops as well as rushing back injured players unnecessarily early.

Eddie needs a come to Jesus moment, a real sense of mea culpa and to open his mind to the comments of the media and pundits around who are not “out to get” him and the team but just want to see a successful England in with a shout at the RWC. He also needs to reach out to the raft of form players out there that he has so far snubbed.

Rob Smith (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 17:14
Change the back row

[robsbl0g.blogspot.co.uk]
@robsmithrugby

Silent Bob (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 17:28
Drop Ford and change back row. Farrell to 10 and co spider Elliot at 13.

Marconi (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 18:01
So Hughes and Lawes both out. Armand brought in. Strangely no sign of Robson.

ShWadd (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 18:16
Personally wouldn't play Cips and Robson. We're going up against a very good Irish team. Irish will just suffocate them and Jones will have his justification as to why they are not up to it. Take them on tour and let them build up to it as oppose to throwing them in at the deep end.
I'd just put Haskell to 7 and Robshaw to 6. Play Simmond at 8 and have Arman coming on from the bench. That'll sure up the breakdown some what but it'll highlight our lack of creativity needed to rack up tries on the international level. I'm fully expect a loss but I'm hoping we get absolutely shut down. That way Eddie will actually be force into making an actual change.

John Tee (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 18:56
Can see Ireland not being the game for backs changes but I'm wary of the wasted time already. I think we always expected the Irish to be too good so any result whereby we show more promise is fine by me.
If we did really well, then that would be a very good thing.

I can imagine Daly wondering what on earth is going on in attack when he can see the moves AND skill level at his club and the relatively pedestrian England moves he witnesses.
If you are going to have playmaker, Ford hasnt done it well enough or often enough to continue. That much was obvious these last couple of seasons. If you go to Farrell you are going backwards.
Cipriani is not a guarantee of winning tho RWC but he might be the genius jack in the box you need for the tight games.
He is a far better option than Ford who has had long enough to show he can drive England. . And he just can't.

He didn't exactly improve his respective clubs either.
You could however, see what Cips did for both Sale and Wasps.
Sometimes, you don't even know Ford is on the field, hid influence is so fleeting.
At least with Farrell, you know what you are getting...
But for me, he is not a world class 10.
The fact that Saracen's fans think he island the England camp do, is quite funny. What you do with Farrell is build your team around him...which works for Saracen's but not against the world's best. He is a bludgeon 10 and whilst nz and Aus could make that workable, it round be because the rest of the backs can really handle the ball..
But they would waste the position on someone with Farrell's game, Imo.

Andy1210 (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 19:00
For me, I would do the following for the Ireland game:

1. Sit Eddie down and make him tuck into a large slice of humble pie.
2. Pick Robson for the bench, start with Sinckler and George (it would be TT but you wrecked him Eddie didn't you..)
3. Cips on the bench, Farrell at 10, Tuilagi 12 and Slade 13, Daly 14.

For the WC in 2019 I would:

1. Appoint an attack coach - as long as it isn't Lee Blackett.
2. Sack Borthwick, Gustard and Hatly and bring in some proven international forwards, defence and scrum coaches. Maybe from overseas.
3. Take a young and genuinely exciting bunch of prospects to SA - not your Cockasinaga or Piers Francis

For the WC in 2023 we should

1. Sack Jones because we fail to get past the quarters and he's still playing a load of old boys and it's still 'Club England'
2. Bring in Baxter and give him a clean slate to set up his own structure, pick his own coaches and players etc
3. Don't give Baxter a contract extension until after the WC!

neils (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 19:03
Lozowski also called up along with Isiekwe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2018 19:04 by neils.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net