Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Your England Team for the World cup, if WC is starting next week
ShWadd (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 14:33
Just for a bit of fun. And also since I'm recovering from last night shocked I found myself to have plenty of free time to do nothing today. So here is the scenario.

Hypothetically speaking, if you're Eddie and you have to announce your World Cup squad tomorrow. Who's you pick and what's your depth chart?

Ps. This end up being much longer than I anticipated so saddle up boys and girl..... Saddle up

Here's mine:

Marko, Genge, Hepburn. Marler* (*as a late injury reserved )
Plenty of go forward in the loose. Unfortunately Mullan would have to missed out due to his scrummaging work.

George, Cowan-Dickie, Taylor. Hartley*
Providing that Jamie George is still alive and havn't been flogged to deaths by Eddie and MCCall. That boy seriously need a rest! Subpar performance last night but I'd blame the fatigue from the flogging in the England camp. Cowan-Dickie looks solid coming of the bench, could potentially push for the staring berth himself.

Cole, Sinckler, Harry Williams. Cooper-Wooley*
Again, providing that Dan Cole hasn't been put into care home and Sinckler somehow didn't pick up a suspensions. This position is a worry for me because there's not that many players who are challenging for the spot

Second Row
Launchbury, Lawes, Itoje, Johnny Hill, Kruis/Isikwe*
Not a huge fan of Kruis but Johnny Hill have been really impressive for Exeter. My starter would be Launchers and either Lawes or Itoje. Playing 3 locks experiment is a failed from me. It was subpar the last six nation and it cost us again this year.

Robshaw, Underhill, Ewers, Mark Wilson*
Personally don't see Underhill as a 7, he doesn't jackals, not really a link player either. But what he will give you is crunching tackle, huge physicality and unrelenting workrate. He's is the Haskell and Robshaw lovechild. Since I'm playing the role of EJ Arman will continue to be overlooked.

Arman,Simmond, Jack Willis, Brendan O'Connor*
Sike. I bet you thought I weren't going to pick Arman didn't you? Simmonds is pushed out one purely because his size and pace. And as far as a pure jackaler(?!) goes I think Willis is superb. O'Connor is unlucky to not have been involved in any of the training squad so far in my opinion.

Number 8
Billy V, Huges, Brad Shield, Mercer*
If you're good enough to captain the Canes you're pretty good. Have to sticking at the 3rd spot because the other 2 is the incumbent and they both have enough credit in the bank. Mercer will missed out.

Young, Care, Robson, Velacott*
Again Young and Care both have enough credit in the bank but Robson is a classy operator to have as your 3rd choice. Velacott is a livewire his passing and kicking game is still pretty raw, but good god he knows how to pick up the pace of the game

Fly Half
Cipriani, Ford, Smith, Lozowski*
Everything Ford can do with a rugby ball Cipriani can do with a watermelon. Sadly his reputation preceed him. People were hyping him up to be the next big thing after Wilko. It's almost criminal that he hasn't already have 50 caps yet. But Cipriani will undoubtedly bring the attacking flair and creativity that England have been lacking.

Inside Centre
Farrell, Te'o, Tuilagi
Farrell would be a starting 10 in most cases but the one position that England is really lacking is 12. So for me Faz had to start. Not a fan of his petulant outburst from time to time but he is a great player going forward and a consistent goal kicker. Te'o and Tuilagi will be employ as a truck and trailer to hopefully provided us with front foot ball. We're so lacking in the 12 position that I can't honestly think of a viable injury reserved guy. I don't know, maybe Devoto, may it's Sam James

Outside Centre
Slade, Joseph, Trinder*, Marchant*
Don't know if you can sense a theme here but England lack creativity from the backline but I think Cipriani, Farrell and Slade can provide it with abundant. Joseph give you that slimey pace guy. Trinder can be hot and cold. But when he's hot..boy oh boy, he's electric. You could also if you so wish opted to play Te'o or Manu at the 13 spot and Trinder will have to miss out.

Daly, Watson, Nowell, Woodburn, Bassett, Wade*, My grandmother*...May*
First thing first..i don't rate May, if you want someone to destroy your momentum. He's that guy. The stupid hopstep thing he does before he tuck it up anyway kind of kill his speed. If you're going to run into traffic do it at full pace, otherwise don't bother! Let the forward deal with it. He seem like one of those guy because he is so fast, he never properly have to develop his rugby IQ because his speed still allow him to beat people. Rant over!
Daly need to start. First name on the team sheet for me. So the wingers are really fighting over one spot. Watson is your pure pace guy and Nowell is your workhorse. Woodburn form warrant a selection and yes..I picked Basset ahead of Wade. Not that I don't rate Wade. It's just that Basset size give him the advantage. That boy is one of the most underrated player in the league. Wade isn't playing his best rugby this season in my opinion but I believe if he can turn it on he'll be up there with the best of them. But it's just unfortunate that he can't

Brown, Goode, Woodward, Haley*
Brown over Goode? You may asked. Let me tell you why. Goode is a creative attacking option. In a backline full of good attacking option, you are at a risked of having too many attacking option and not enough of the defensive grub and Mike Brown is the king of all grub so he's exactly what we need. Solid last line of defense. Been super impressed with Woodward. But again he's one of those attacking option that we might not need.

Sorry if I had gone on for a bit. It's been a while since I really vent like this. As I was saying earlier I kind of written with a bad head so excuse the nonsense. Thanks for reading my mini rant, hope it cold start some constructive conversation

Re: Your England Team for the World cup, if WC is starting next week
John Tee (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 15:59
Like some of the reasoning here but basically don't pick square pegs for round holes.
The best half backs around are Robson and Cips. Your game starts there...and agree it is criminal from a talent point of view he doesnt have 50 plus caps especially as Ford has had them instead.

Then play centres who can catch and run and pick balance between bulk and pace. Wings. Watson, May a a few others.. All they have to do is catch the ball so all the backs would be natural players. Find a place for Nowell as he makes ground. Slade feeding of Cips woukd offer quite a threat.
I'm afraid Farrell is a bench player and plan B but offers enough at 12 to alter the game plan if we have stalked and want to mix it up.
Forwards.. We spend too much time on set piece when it produces the likes of Cole and Hartley
Pick a balanced back row...

But basically Jones has an urgent review to make and he needs to come clean over his choices. If he said he made mistakes and was too blinkered I think most fans would accept the excuse... He has to be straight though.

I'm not sure he has that in him though..

Buzzboy (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 16:30
Interesting! Hope the head is better. Without being overly negative, I had seen yesterday’s defeat coming. I was the only one in my workplace prediction league who said France would win. So something needs to change but will Eddie have it in him to do it?

ShWadd (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 18:05
Interesting! Hope the head is better. Without being overly negative, I had seen yesterday’s defeat coming. I was the only one in my workplace prediction league who said France would win. So something needs to change but will Eddie have it in him to do it?
Haven't been all that impress with England since that Ireland game. I was saying to a guy at work the other day about the level of opposition we were playing. I mean we barely beat a pretty poor Argentinians 2-0 and we weren't all that impressive in the autumn. We beaten italy and struggled to beat Wales, the lost to Scotland and France and most likely another loss against Ireland. With the way it's going were could be looking at a 3 game losing streak before we headed down to face a resurgent Bookie. Then we have to play the All Black in the autumn. Our inability to score try will be the next thing people talking about once all the talk of our breakdown have calm down.
And I think Eddie is just going to beast them even more. The more they lost the more there going to get breasted. My biggest worry that we're going to pick up a huge injury list heading into the world cup so 3 years of building towards it will be worthless....

And yes I am a pessimist if you can't already tell. But I don't think I'm overreacting

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing