rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Elliot having a foot scan
Heathen (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 07:56
According to Sky Sports News ticker feed.

Today's Times :

Indeed, the coach had more immediate issues to worry about, not least the prospect of losing Elliot Daly for Saturday’s game against grand-slam chasing Ireland at Twickenham. Daly, who had his left foot in a protective boot yesterday, will undergo a scan on his kicking foot today to determine whether he will join the lengthening England casualty list.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/03/2018 08:06 by Heathen.

Re: Elliot having a foot scan
Andy1210 (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 08:49
Any news on Nathan following his scan?

doctorkmt1 (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 08:58
In getting really fed up with wasps get ting injured whilst away with England and being brought back too soon as eddie is out of ideas and then getting bricked again.

Andy1210 (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 12:22
Quote:
doctorkmt1
In getting really fed up with wasps get ting injured whilst away with England and being brought back too soon as eddie is out of ideas and then getting bricked again.

Same here. Anyone who's played sport at any level knows there's a big difference between fitness and conditioning and match fitness. Daly and Hughes should have at least a game or two under their belt before starting an International - particularly after months out.

To not have so is plain dumb to be honest and the injuries speak for themselves. I bet Dai is fuming.

bg (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 12:51
Quote:
Andy1210
Quote:
doctorkmt1

Same here. Anyone who's played sport at any level knows there's a big difference between fitness and conditioning and match fitness. Daly and Hughes should have at least a game or two under their belt before starting an International - particularly after months out.

To not have so is plain dumb to be honest and the injuries speak for themselves. I bet Dai is fuming.

You do wonder if DoR's chat about this behind closed doors? Is the current agreement between the RFU and PRL on a rolling year to year basis, or a fixed period.

You would think the clubs would want a bit more say in their own players' welfare.

ukms (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 13:33
Quote:
bg

You would think the clubs would want a bit more say in their own players' welfare.

How do you know they don't have ?

Whilst the armchair medics/strength coaches on this board think they know what is best for the players ..... none us know what dialogue occurs between the club and England medics or do we ?

Aylesbury Wasp (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 13:44
Also don’t discount the fact the players are very keen to play for their country and for the cash associated with that honour. They don’t want to risk the Int’l coach looking elsewhere.

PhilH (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 14:06
Elliot Daly scan shows no serious damage but Wasps star remains doubtful for England’s final Six Nations match with Ireland

Heathen (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 16:34
Good, so rest this week and get him through rehab for the Tigers game.

NellyWellyWaspy (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 18:34
And yet he is in the squad announced today. Nathan isn't of course.

PhilH (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 19:18
Quote:
doctorkmt1

I am not a doctor (or a troll, to quote RicohChezWasp) but how does “being brought back too soon” stop someone standing on your foot (not seen how his injury was caused)?

If you want a discussion on electronics (bricked) I have more experience in that field.

Bracken&Macken (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 19:28
I have a horrible feeling that if Elliot can hobble sufficiently well he will be starting.

Eddie does not care one bit about player welfare and right now he’s desperate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/03/2018 19:29 by Bracken&amp;Macken.

RossM (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 20:53
but how does “being brought back too soon” stop someone standing on your foot (not seen how his injury was caused)?

The answer to this is fairly obvious. He shouldn't actually have been playing in the first place! This applies particularly to Nathan who was clearly unfit and was also "brought back too soon". If he hadn't been "brought back too soon", then he wouldn't have been out there and consequently couldn't have been injured.

I may be being unduly pessimistic but I would be surprised if we saw Nathan back in the black and gold this season.

doctorkmt1 (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 21:07
If you're not playing you can't get trodden on.

My intention was to type "Crocked" not "bricked"

PhilH (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 21:08
Quote:
RossM
but how does “being brought back too soon” stop someone standing on your foot (not seen how his injury was caused)?
The answer to this is fairly obvious. He shouldn't actually have been playing in the first place! This applies particularly to Nathan who was clearly unfit and was also "brought back too soon". If he hadn't been "brought back too soon", then he wouldn't have been out there and consequently couldn't have been injured.

I may be being unduly pessimistic but I would be surprised if we saw Nathan back in the black and gold this season.

Clearly true. But if they never play for England again, they will never get injured playing for England!

Raggs (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 21:10
Launchbury was cleared out onto Hughes' knee... I don't think match fitness would play much of a part in surviving 120kg+coming down into the side of your knee.

John Tee (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 21:40
I think both injuries were unfortunate and could happen in any game....so can't blame England for that.
However, I do agree that they probably shouldn't have been out there and therefore would have been spared this time round.
They were the sort of injuries that are part and parcel of the game so could have occurred anytime.

NellyWellyWaspy (IP Logged)
14 March, 2018 07:29
Elliot's injury was just one of those things. Two sets of feet tangled up around a loose ball, as I recall. In football the player causing the injury would have been at least yellow carded, as he had his studs up and hit Elliot in the ankle, but in Rugby this seems to be allowed. Unless someone with a rule book ....

AKWasp (IP Logged)
14 March, 2018 09:10
Quote:
NellyWellyWaspy
Elliot's injury was just one of those things. Two sets of feet tangled up around a loose ball, as I recall. In football the player causing the injury would have been at least yellow carded, as he had his studs up and hit Elliot in the ankle, but in Rugby this seems to be allowed. Unless someone with a rule book ....

Looked more like a football slide tackle if I remember correctly, and I think that would be dangerous play- it definitely risked the safety of the opponent (even without taking into consideration that it actually caused an injury)

Silent Bob (IP Logged)
14 March, 2018 09:19
The only way to get match fit is to play matches. The sensible decision would be to bring them back off the bench for the clubs and then work p to full fitness. Of course club DORs are not above throwing a star player straight back in for a full 80 if needs must either.

Just to play devils advocate I'm also not convinced that from a match fitness point of view there is so much difference between top flight club rugby and internationals? The quality of players overall may well be different but would a player recovering from an injury be any less likely to sustain it playing in a come back for his club versus his country?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net